Limited number of slots

TURBOSNOOP

Limited number of slots

Post by TURBOSNOOP »

Why are we(being on console) limited to the number of slots. Some of the equipment takes up a lot of slots.
markare

Re: Limited number of slots

Post by markare »

viewtopic.php?t=98935

That explains it. Same reasons as fs17. Official explanation is half way down the first post on that thread
:hi:
Scottish farming with all the n00bery
Xb1
Sometimes stream, depends how I feel
http://aatg.freeforums.net/ work in progress
MarkSH

Post by MarkSH »

Short answer: the consoles do storage differently. Part of that is because consoles try harder to stop hacks, and access to savegames is one way to hack the games.
RODHA

Post by RODHA »

Because we have a fixed RAM capacity.
PS5 / FS22
redglasses

Post by redglasses »

Basically RAM = slots. Since we have limited RAM we have limited slots.
Playing Lincoln Creek on PC
Upload your screenshots here: IMG server
My Discord
Remember there is no need to spread your manure around the forums :wink3:
Jack of all trades, master of the skid steer
RODHA

Post by RODHA »

I hope Sony and Micky either stuffs 32 GB RAM to their next gen consoles or give us the option to add more as we need.
PS5 / FS22
BreadedVirus

Post by BreadedVirus »

RODHA wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:46 am I hope Sony and Micky either stuffs 32 GB RAM to their next gen consoles or give us the option to add more as we need.
LOL
the big print giveth the small print taketh
TURBOSNOOP

Post by TURBOSNOOP »

Well that *censored*,guess I'm really going to start looking into a PC
MarkSH

Post by MarkSH »

The limits are really quite high. And it's not like the game has no limits on it either, no matter how much memory you add in. See the 32 animal limit mod. Turns out there's a max 10 animal pens for a good reason: the game on PC gets really flakey if you use 32, especially if it's within the rendered map's range.

If you get close to the limit you likely have a lot of unused items or a lot of different machines, and you can just replace some of them with duplicates of one of them you already have. E.g. instead of having 7 different large tractors, replace 4 of them with one of the other three, and you suddenly save a hundred slots...
BreadedVirus

Post by BreadedVirus »

TURBOSNOOP wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 12:43 am Well that *censored*,guess I'm really going to start looking into a PC
You can get a decent entry level gaming PC for about $500 these days. *thumbsup*
the big print giveth the small print taketh
thumbwiz

Post by thumbwiz »

Slots = RAM
Microsoft and Sony (console) don't want FS over filling RAM and crashing.
Giants doesn't care if you fill your PC RAM and crash the game, so no slots.
X1 / PC gaming
Ontario, Canada
Alagos

Post by Alagos »

'Giants doesn't care' is a nice wrong way of seeing it. There are way to many different PCs with differing amounts of RAM for Giants to make a system thats worth the trouble. Besides, PCs don't usually run into problems when running out of RAM, they can 'just' extend it to harddrives, though that doesn't really help the speed.
I assume people don't use Seasons, unless they say otherwise.

How to upload your >> log<<
How to upload >>images << to the forum
How to get your gamekey's activation limit >>reset<<
How to report a >> bug <<

>>Rules<<
BearClaw

Post by BearClaw »

I have never used all slots on ps4, for fs17 og 19. But if your farm has several vehicles and equipment you will have a problem. But if you play realistic you wont have problem with slots
I love the smell of farming better than the profit
Rasping rabbit

Post by Rasping rabbit »

Personally I would rather have some indication of how much memory I was taking up than have my game just grind to a halt because I had overloaded it with too many tractors.

Also I don’t think the limit is that restrictive, but I guess everybody’s gameplay differs.
thumbwiz

Post by thumbwiz »

Alagos wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 3:44 pm 'Giants doesn't care' is a nice wrong way of seeing it. There are way to many different PCs with differing amounts of RAM for Giants to make a system thats worth the trouble. Besides, PCs don't usually run into problems when running out of RAM, they can 'just' extend it to harddrives, though that doesn't really help the speed.
I agree with you on most of that. However, I don't agree with "There are way to many different PCs with differing amounts of RAM for Giants to make a system thats worth the trouble". Every programming language I've ever used has memory management and simple ways to determine installed and available RAM.

I'd like to know how Giants knows how much RAM an object will use in the first place, unless they load it, record the usage, then unload it as you're browsing in the store.
X1 / PC gaming
Ontario, Canada