Grizzly Mountain

Jeramy

Grizzly Mountain

Post by Jeramy »

Hello all,

I just noticed new maps on the Modhub. I am sad though, as I did not notice there were new maps until I was already on the bus to work. Now I get to spend a whole work day fantasizing about new maps.

My question is, what is the feasibility of carving a farm out of Grizzly Mountain? I really like the idea of starting with a cabin in the woods, clearing fields, and creating a small self sufficient farm. A little of that pioneer tradition. I am not really familiar with logging maps though. So am I setting myself up for heartache or is this a thing I can do?
Last edited by Jeramy on Thu Feb 07, 2019 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Patrick73

Re: Grizzly Mountain

Post by Patrick73 »

Don’t think there is a sell point for crops judging by a map tour I watched
JCByellowguy

Post by JCByellowguy »

You could do what you envision on that map. The terrain is workable to creat a farm with the landscape tool. There is only one sell point though and the map is rather lonely if you want to do anything long term. The trees are the majority of the detail. Not much else going on.

Looks great for clear cutting for the loggers out there. *thumbsup*
Xbox One Farmer
Yellow Farmer with some Red mixed in
DirectCedar

Post by DirectCedar »

Jeramy wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 5:36 pm Hello all,

I just noticed new maps on the Modhub. I am sad though, as I did not notice there were new maps until I was already on the bus to work. Now I get to spend a whole work day fantasizing about new maps.

My question is, what is the feasibility of carving a farm out of Grizzly Mountain? I really like the idea of starting with a cabin in the woods, clearing fields, and creating a small self sufficient farm. A little of that pioneer tradition. I am not really familiar with logging maps though. So am I setting myself up for heartache or is this a thing I can do?
I'm going to wager that, based on the fact that I've yet to read one review about the forestry and log physics in 19 that was anything other than completely disappointed, that your idea of carving out a farm is going to be pretty frustrating at this point. There have been a few threads about logging in general in the base game in just the past few days, expressing unmitigated frustration with the broken logging mechanics. People have given up even trying to cut down the six trees at the ends of field, after hours of trying.

Hopefully these reports are slightly overblown, and the only way to find out for yourself is to try, of course.

Also hopefully, Giants is aware of the bugs with logging and they will be patched soon. Logging worked pretty well and IMO was pretty fun in 17 so it's not like they haven't proven in the past that they can make a system that works.

The map itself is probably fantastic, as were FDR's logging maps in 17, and I hope the game is soon functioning at a level that will do the mapmaker's work justice.

That's my free opinion anyway, which is worth what I'm charging for it :lol:
Goose66

Post by Goose66 »

In addition, there is a sell point for crops.
Playing on PC....Hollandscheveld maizeplus map
Suffolk, England
Discord ...Goose66
Jeramy

Post by Jeramy »

Not too concerned about being lonely. Was thinking about a homesteader vibe, cheap equipment, basically the bare essentials to get a job done.

I have not had too many problems with the small amount of logging I have done is FS19. Sure it took awhile, but have you ever felled a tree in real life? It is not a quick process.

Does anyone know if there is an animal buy/sell point. I was thinking about farming just enough to keep animals. Again the homesteader vibe. Raising livestock for sustenance and selling the extra.
Goose66

Post by Goose66 »

Yes, animal dealer is there too.
Playing on PC....Hollandscheveld maizeplus map
Suffolk, England
Discord ...Goose66
Patrick73

Post by Patrick73 »

My apologies,didn’t see those on the video I watched....it was a while ago
Jeramy

Post by Jeramy »

Patrick73 wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 6:43 pm My apologies,didn’t see those on the video I watched....it was a while ago
No worries. That is part of the reason I asked. I saw a couple of logging maps in 17 that only had lumber/sawdust sell points. Figured I should check before spending the day dreaming about my frontier homestead.
cwattyeso

Post by cwattyeso »

Just loaded up this map and had a quick fly around it. Seems like it's setup just for people who want to do logging. Trying to create space, to then create fields to do regular farming would seem like a massive headache. Also for whatever reason when I loaded into this map at various places on it my frame-rate absolutely tanked to about 30FPS, so it's not a map for anyone playing on a low spec PC that's for sure. I also was a little surprised when starting in New Farmer mode to find the only items in your garage at the start is a log trailer and the pickup truck. So you don't even get any forestry machinery to begin working the map and with only 100,000 in the bank to start with, I can't see how you're going to buy all you need.
Check out my YouTube Channel for Farming Simulator and other Gaming Let's Plays and Videos at https://www.youtube.com/c/CwattyesoGamingforFun :D

Also be sure to check out my Kick Channel for my Farming Simulator Live Streams and Multiplayer Server at https://www.kick.com/cwattyeso :gamer:

GIANTS SOFTWARE Personal Partner Code: CWATTYESO *thumbsup*
Jeramy

Post by Jeramy »

Hmm, that could be problematic.

I don't mind the slog of clearing land. I actually enjoyed the small amount I did on Ravenport. But that might not be enough money to get going clearing land then plowing in fields. Does it at least give you a decent plot of land to start with?
bossmanslim

Post by bossmanslim »

The streamer MisterMoose has done a "farmstead" play through on this map. He has basically cut down trees, put in fields and farmed those fields. I think his end goal is to have a pig farm. I should be noted that he is using some forestry mods that aren't on modhub that seem to really help (Tigercat loader and grapple). I would say this map is would be really good for those who want to carve their farm out of the wilderness, but would probably work better with some good forestry mods.
Jeramy

Post by Jeramy »

I'm on console, so I imagine a fair few of those mods are out of my reach. But thank you, I will go check out their playthrough.
aklein

Post by aklein »

If anyone is referencing the video I did weeks ago on the map that was a version released on FDR's website for PC only. I have not had a chance to look at this version to see how much was changed from my initial video to the current modhub release. If the versions are different enough I will redo the video and remove the old one.

I do not think in my initial video there was a sell point for crops or an animal dealer but I might be remembering wrong. Giants may have required the addition of those to make it to full release I do not know. But I would say my video would give a fair representation of the maps look and feel overall at this point.
Battousaid1

Post by Battousaid1 »

Now we just need some better logging mods to pick up the logs better and that hopefully in the future
Ps4 player