Some love for Giants.

BoxTunnel

Some love for Giants.

Post by BoxTunnel » Fri Feb 08, 2019 2:03 pm

Dear Friends,

I am a recent FS addict having only started playing FS17 in April or May 2018. Since I discovered Farming Simulator I can honestly say I have played no other game in almost a year. I'm not a farmer, I had no interest in tractors or trailers or harvesters etc, even though I live in the south west of the UK and dodging tractors and the smell of manure is part of my daily life.

I was in to Elite Dangerous and playing guitar. Since I've discovered FS I have not picked up any of my several, very expensive, guitars and have uninstalled Elite Dangerous as it was not getting played.

In FS17 I loved Oakfield Farm, Lone Oak and towards the end Mercury Farms. I was loving this game so much that the moment Giants allowed me to pre-order FS19 I handed over my hard earned cash. I could not wait for November 20th.

But then, disaster! Two days before the FS19 release I dropped my gaming PC whilst trying to dust it (I will admit that I had a couple or three of ciders on board at the time) and it hasn't worked since. Now would be a good point to put in a sad face but I'm 48 years old and I don't do emojis.

As current funds to not stretch to a new high spec PC, I decided I could happily play the three aforementioned maps in FS17 on my five year old laptop which I happily did until a week or so ago. I can't remember why I decided to download FS19 on to my clockwork powered old laptop (probably the cider again). The website "can you run it" or something like that told me I had no chance.

But... It works! And despite not having my two favourite mods (GPS and the CSZ set) I love FS19! It stutters every now and then on my creaky old calculator but 90% of the time it is fine.

Likes and dislikes?

Love the graphics - trees waving in the breeze, plants being brushed aside by machinery.

Love the horses (although they should have a dump every now and then, it's great for my garden so why not my field?) I have a palomino called Diva (my name for her) that I would swear walks towards me every time I enter the paddock, I will keep her I think.

Love collecting the chickens' egg, although personally I've never bought them by the litre!

Love Felsbrunn, although have to remember to drive on the "wrong" side of the road.

Dislikes - can't really do this as I'm playing on a laptop that shouldn't be able to play the game, but...the tractors do not sound right. I get this "vocoder" recorder playing scales king of thing. wee, Wee WEE when accelerating and WAH Wah wah decelerating. I can mentally tune it out but it seems like a backward step.

I don't like Ravenport, absolutely nowhere I can find to build your own farm.

All other dislikes will hopefully be addressed by the wonderful modders (please step up CSZ and GPS guys! I really need you!)

Surprisingly I love John Deere tractors. I say surprisingly because I was sick to my back teeth about "We want John Deere, Game is broken without John Deere", blah blah blah posts in the FS17 forums. As far as I was concerned a tractor is tractor. Down my way we get loads of Massseys, New Hollands, a few John Deeres and I've once seen a Fendt. But in game John Deeres look absolutely effin' awesome, and when I win the lottery I will buy one to drive to Tesco and back for my shopping.

In summary, I read post after post criticizing the game, and in Lisertan's "ask me questions" thread many posts that are downright rude at best (He looks like a big lad, I bet you wouldn't say these things to his face) are answered politely. Yes, there are issues, but even on my ancient laptop I prefer to play FS19 than FS17.

Kindest regards,

BoxTunnel.

Mkrieg333

Re: Some love for Giants.

Post by Mkrieg333 » Fri Feb 08, 2019 3:37 pm

Totally agree with you! Although it's really important to give suggestions and criticizing what you think should be improved, I've seen some unpolite and childish posts lately...

Guil

Post by Guil » Fri Feb 08, 2019 3:42 pm

What's wrong with the gaming pc? Could be as simple as a loose stick of ram causing it not to run on.

trogladitez

Post by trogladitez » Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:21 pm

Guil wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 3:42 pm
What's wrong with the gaming pc? Could be as simple as a loose stick of ram causing it not to run on.
I'll second this. Have a look inside, could be something very simple. As for elite, I'm pretty sure I had multiple strokes trying to get the ship out of the hanger.

BoxTunnel

Post by BoxTunnel » Fri Feb 08, 2019 6:42 pm

Guil wrote:
Thank you Guil, but my local PC doctor told me the "blah blah blah (i.e. cant remember what)" was broken and it would cost £400 to replace. To be fair to him I know him from the small town I live in and he is a genuine chap, so I trust him. He didn't try to sell me something else!

BoxTunnel

Post by BoxTunnel » Fri Feb 08, 2019 6:53 pm

trogladitez wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:21 pm
Guil wrote:
I'll second this. Have a look inside, could be something very simple. As for elite, I'm pretty sure I had multiple strokes trying to get the ship out of the hanger.
I used to play in open and love getting "home" to a station, it was avoiding players who had engineered there ships and wanted to kill you that made it so much fun. Then I discovered FS and I am serious, I haven't played any thing else since.

A few months ago Red Dead Redemption was released which tempted me, but then I thought "I need to pay my bills, and I need FS with mods, so a console is not an option, best start saving...