Frontier design

Patrick73

Frontier design

Post by Patrick73 »

Don’t know what went off on fsuk forums but some people are saying they’ve quit modding for fs19 after a bust up on the forum? Also the thread on the modding section has gone?
JCByellowguy

Re: Frontier design

Post by JCByellowguy »

Oxygen David is supporting his latest map through his facebook page as of now. Not sure if there will be anymore from Frontier Design team though.

Bullet Bill has left many a post in His Lone Oak Farm W.I.P. thread here on the forum stating he wasnt all that enthusiastic about modding for FS19 for certain reasons. He is somewhat active on these forums and has left his thoughts in threads. Look up his posts to get an idea of whats on his mind as far as FS19

Very big shoes for other map makers to fill if indeed Frontier Design is done with FS19 modding. Best maps by far hands down, so lets hope for the best.
Xbox One Farmer
Yellow Farmer with some Red mixed in
Patrick73

Post by Patrick73 »

Only know what I’ve read on various posts on youtube, hell Bulletbill has said at the moment he has no interest in fs19 and now if this is true were only left with black sheep modding. Yes there are other map makers but I can’t remember when I played a map by anyone else
JCByellowguy

Post by JCByellowguy »

I just hope for the best. I would hate to see them go as maps are what I rely on modders for as a console player. I can live with Giant's equipment and placeable selection if need be but I wont bother playing FS in any form without a well made and enjoyable map.
Xbox One Farmer
Yellow Farmer with some Red mixed in
Mobias

Post by Mobias »

For me all of this shows where Giants need to work better with modders, particularly map modders. If it wasn't for BulletBill and OxygenDavid I really don't think I'd even play Farming Simulator. Which is why I've always tried to donate to those guys when I've played their maps. The Frontier Design maps are so massively far ahead of anyone else's. Black Sheep modding all the other 'decent' maps I've ever played haven't even come close. Lone Oak and Oakfield both represented the absolute pinnacle of FS-17 map making and I'd gladly give money for FS-19 conversions of those maps. I haven't had much of a chance to play FS-19 recently so haven't really tried Marwell Manor Farm but I'm looking forward to playing it when I get the chance and of course I'll try and donate a little bit of money for playing it and I really urge others in the community to donate for any good mods they use. The game would be absolutely nothing without decent mods, particularly map mods. Which up until now FS-19 has proven.

If I was Giants I'd be having behind the scenes talks with BulletBill and OxygenDavid to keep those guys making and converting maps because the FS franchise would be exactly zero for me, and I suspect others, without the Frontier Design maps.
Airborne82nd

Post by Airborne82nd »

If i were Giants i'd use those record sales to start hiring a lot of people to create new maps and content, and stop relying on modders, being this is what happens.
bojanh66

Post by bojanh66 »

If it wasn't for BulletBill and OxygenDavid I really don't think I'd even play Farming Simulator
+1.
Or even buy FS game, because game without good map is nothing....and Giants are awful at making maps, they should never ever make another map (takes notes for FS21 Giants, we dont need your default maps).
Instead of that, use some of your earned money and hire guys like Oxygendavid and BulletBill to make their default maps to be ready at FS 21 launch because those guys maps are something amazing, real life maps.
Also, guys like Durall made amazing mod More Realistic Engine, you need to hire guys like him too to make physics more realistic, after all, game is called Farming Simulator, not Farming Arcade, right ?
There are plenty of other great modders and mods who should be hired by Giants before they lose their interest into this game or before they get hired by your enemy company C and C.

This game (FS 17 and 19) is nothing without mods and i doubt you would get good sale numbers if there werent for modders...and i think everybody loves money, including you Giants, right ?

So start thinking smart and dont ruin FS 21, think for the better future of this serial...otherwise its doomed.

And yea, you should introduce new game engine, something like Spintires engine, with more muddy physics, because right now, physics are same as in FS 15, just a little better graphics.

Very dissapointed user here...improve your game,hire modders, they are making the game enjoyable.
pingu

Post by pingu »

Well, only the members of Frontier Design knows what's going on and what they themselves think about modding for FS19...

Also, the idea of GIANTS hiring modders... I'm not a modder myself, so I'm only speculating here. But I think of making maps as a creative process. It's not 'only' about making a realistic model of some real world equipment. It's about creating a world that make sense. One that has a theme regarding the nature the regional culture it is trying to convey to the player. It's about finding a balance in all the details so that there is an enjoyable gameplay throughout different activities. To me, maps like Lone Oak Farm, The West Coast, Sandy Bay, etc. are work of art. And I'm not sure artists necessarily thrive in a corporate environment as employees. Sometimes stuff gets better when it's just a fun hobby where you are free to explore in any direction you want.
<-- FS17 on an iMac 27" playing Lone Oak Farm and The Western Shore -->
trogladitez

Post by trogladitez »

It wouldn't need to be like that, it could be done on a freelance basis.
wiseguy49

Post by wiseguy49 »

Mobias wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:36 pm If I was Giants I'd be having behind the scenes talks with BulletBill and OxygenDavid to keep those guys making and converting maps because the FS franchise would be exactly zero for me, and I suspect others, without the Frontier Design maps.
And herein lines the problem in my opinion. When FS17 was released, Giants did in fact communicate with them to help them convert their maps from FS15 to FS17. Remember how fast Chellington and Coldborough came out?

Now with the release of FS19, they didn't do that. There was 0 communication between them and the modders/mappers. Instead, they decided to focus on the streamers.

Was there jealously? A little bit of 'lack of respect' felt between Giants and certain modders? Again, you can form your own opinions. But in mine, that is exactly what happened.

OH and FYI - paying for mods is against the Giants TOS. May want to edit that post.
pingu

Post by pingu »

trogladitez wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:56 pm It wouldn't need to be like that, it could be done on a freelance basis.
True. But still GIANTS would probably want a certain variety of maps that are finished at certain times, so the creative freedom would still not be the same.

wiseguy49 wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:14 pm Instead, they decided to focus on the streamers.
Streamers reach a huge audience, and is a good advertising when building up hype towards a launch. No matter how wonderful some maps are, I still think few of all FS players really play one of those more realistic maps (or even care about them). One can think about it in different ways. On one hand, all those casual (often console?) players probably bring in the big money in sale - and that may well make the FS serie possible. On the other hand, no wonder a company tend to focus their efforts on the big majority - and that can of course upset the small (and vocal) group of dedicated players that are active on forums like this.

That said, I wish they had cared more about getting maps out early - at least having some in time for the Christmas holidays in December. Why the situation is what is, I don't know. The explanation probably differs depending on who you ask. The numbers of games sold means they probably did something right, no matter what we think about it all.

Lack of maps is one reason I still don't bother starting a game in FS19. Bigger reasons are probably the general look and feel of the game, all changes made just for the sake of changing stuff instead of evolving the gameplay, and lack of improved realism compared to FS17 with mods. I really don't think much about FS19 I have installed and when I will get around to it. At least seasons needs to be out first - then maybe. Frankly, I do not have high hopes about finding FS19 enjoyable the way it looks and I doubt I'll care much about a possible FS21. The series is what it is. Seeing the (lack of) gameplay evolution from 15 to 17 to 19 and not finding any focused direction in new features (but a lot of wasted man-hours fixing stuff already working), I think GIANTS are happy with having it as a casual machine playground with famous brand names and cool graphics.
<-- FS17 on an iMac 27" playing Lone Oak Farm and The Western Shore -->
eric21

Post by eric21 »

No modders need time not early
FS Velocity

Post by FS Velocity »

Marwell Manor has made this game for me, I have obviously tried the 2 default maps and just couldn’t get into them at all! Tried many other mod maps, some were ok but still missing that wow factor! I’d just love to see Giants work with Oxy for some default maps for FS21!
hun3

Post by hun3 »

Mobias wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:36 pm Black Sheep modding all the other 'decent' maps I've ever played haven't even come close.
Thats a bit harsh dont you think? The Valley The Old Farm is simply amazing to me the most detailed compared to any other maps.
iB055

Post by iB055 »

hun3 wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:47 am
Mobias wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:36 pm Black Sheep modding all the other 'decent' maps I've ever played haven't even come close.
Thats a bit harsh dont you think? The Valley The Old Farm is simply amazing to me the most detailed compared to any other maps.
I wouldn't say it's harsh. Just another players opinion based on personal preferences. Everyone has their own preferences that don't always align with others or even with what is available.
FS22 / PC & PS4 Pro