This may be a unrealistic element to the game!

ltl.vamp

Re: This may be a unrealistic element to the game!

Post by ltl.vamp »

I would be happy even there would be water / drops unter the maschine after using the Kärcher ...
Xbox Series X, Xbox Series S, Xbox One X, Xbox One
FS17 Platinum > FS19 Premium > FS15 Complete > FS22
Samsung UE65MU8009TX 4KUHDHDR
Seedy

Post by Seedy »

thumbwiz wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:40 pm Iceflames was able to implement this in their first farming game and have it work along side the weather.
As with plowing and fertilization, it could be an optional element for those that are not interested.
You shouldn't have to give anything up in order to have this added. There are games that do much more than this one with no problems if they're optimized.
Of course you have to give things up, everything the people who develop it would otherwise be doing. They can't just go to a shelf and pull out an irrigation system; they have to design, and build, and test, and build, and test, and design, and test, and build...etc. Then add it to the main code, and start again. All of the people involved, are not doing anything else while they are doing that.
Everything added to a program consumes resources in some way, whether it's optional or not, it is still there, so limiting what else could be in that spot, so to speak.
gordon861

Post by gordon861 »

I would have thought that it would have been implemented using vehicles like the fertiliser sprayers to add water to the crops.

I don't think it would work with the base game, you'd need something like seasons, which I seem to remember already tracks wetness of crops better than the base game does. Depending on the crop you would need to keep its wetness above a set value or the crop would suffer. So for every hour that the crop is too dry you would loose a percentage of the yield.

The problem is storing that data for every plot of land on a map. I think currently FS stores a value for each possible state for each bit of land on a map, if you added wetness even with only 10 levels that's a massive number of bits of information to record above what we have now, and that's without recording the lose of yield. With a highend PC that might be possible but with a console or a slightly older PC you are going to have massive problems. This is also probably why the game currently cannot remember any historical information on any plots of land, the way the game works right now is once you change a piece of land it doesn't care what was there before and dumps the info.

I expect Giants would need to fundamentally change the way data on land parcels are stored or need another jump in players tech to allow them to implement something this big.
--------------
Hey Giants, when are you going to pull your head out of your backsides and actually talk to us?
thumbwiz

Post by thumbwiz »

Seedy wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:26 pm
thumbwiz wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:40 pm Iceflames was able to implement this in their first farming game and have it work along side the weather.
As with plowing and fertilization, it could be an optional element for those that are not interested.
You shouldn't have to give anything up in order to have this added. There are games that do much more than this one with no problems if they're optimized.
Of course you have to give things up, everything the people who develop it would otherwise be doing. They can't just go to a shelf and pull out an irrigation system; they have to design, and build, and test, and build, and test, and design, and test, and build...etc. Then add it to the main code, and start again. All of the people involved, are not doing anything else while they are doing that.
Everything added to a program consumes resources in some way, whether it's optional or not, it is still there, so limiting what else could be in that spot, so to speak.
How about if they give up changing the mission system every iteration? Then they'd have time to add a feature that might be more enjoyable than a dog, or birds that you can run over with no effect.
X1 / PC gaming
Ontario, Canada
eric21

Post by eric21 »

Do you mean moisture? You don't need water tankers to keep crops wet, the environment does thtlat. You get moisture from fog or frost
redglasses

Post by redglasses »

thumbwiz wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:46 pm How about if they give up changing the mission system every iteration? Then they'd have time to add a feature that might be more enjoyable than a dog, or birds that you can run over with no effect.
Ya honestly, the mission system is good right now Giants, DONT CHANGE IT AGAIN
Playing Lincoln Creek on PC
Upload your screenshots here: IMG server
My Discord
Remember there is no need to spread your manure around the forums :wink3:
Jack of all trades, master of the skid steer
Procobator

Post by Procobator »

Could you imagine the AI if water wheels were added. I think your game would explode if you asked a hired worker to cultivate a circular field lol.
kevthedev

Post by kevthedev »

Most of this game is unrealistic. They should get rid of the 'simulator' altogether.
ScarDominator

Post by ScarDominator »

eric21 wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:50 pm Do you mean moisture? You don't need water tankers to keep crops wet, the environment does thtlat. You get moisture from fog or frost
That's called irrigation check on google.
michele1048

Post by michele1048 »

hi fs17 was complete, perfect, seasons dirt dynamic, etc. they just had to insert them in fs19 and improve shadows, reshade lights and it would have been perfect
Gimli54

Post by Gimli54 »

I would fall in the side of I would appreciate it if they added irrigation but would rather they wait and make it well laid out, also though having grown up in rice country and now the amount of work it takes to irrigate rice to implement rice and do it right they’d need both dynamic grounds to make levees and some form of irrigation otherwise it would be a terrible version of rice farming and completely unrealistic, I can understand them having to tweak a few things compared to real life to make it work and also they’re are many ways of working with it but even then you’d need some type of dynamic ground and irrigation cause rice must have water and lots of it
DirectCedar

Post by DirectCedar »

ScarDominator wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 5:54 pm
eric21 wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:50 pm Do you mean moisture? You don't need water tankers to keep crops wet, the environment does thtlat. You get moisture from fog or frost
That's called irrigation check on google.
You can't do field-scale irrigation with a water tanker. You can irrigate a greenhouse or small garden with a tanker, but that's the practical limit. This is why the systems in PF (and even in the otherwise really great Soilmod from FS15) were sort of silly cartoonified versions of irrigation.

One acre-foot of water (which is in the range of what would need to be applied on a field scale - sometimes you'll need less; sometimes you'll need twice this much) is about 326k USgallons (approx. 1.2M L). That's about 164 loads with the in-game water trailer PER ACRE. Hence tankers are not a practical way of supplying irrigation water to a whole field. In real life, water is applied by above-ground sprinklers or drip tube or subsurface drip tubes or by flood or by siphon between rows (among other ways) and is supplied from an aqueduct or pipeline or lake or reservoir or well (among other ways).

This is why I mentioned before that personally I'd rather the developer take a long time to make an irrigation system that is a little bit realistic, rather than rush it and make it a fairly silly one-trip-over-with-a-tanker idea.
TaintedBlackCat

Post by TaintedBlackCat »

😹😹I'd love to see moisture gains from fog or frost in an Australian summer...Or autumn, or spring..didn't even rain last winter in some parts
I'm not perfect..but I'm Australian, and that's pretty damn close!!🐈 . Ex Royal Australian Navy sailor. Moved to New Zealand recently to dairy farm in New Zealand. 600 milking cows. Running old Duetz Fahr Agrostar 6.61
NateS

Post by NateS »

I can't believe after all these years the only weather related effect Giants has actually implemented is that you can't harvest when it's raining.

Weather and climate are possibly the most important variable in farming and have been completely ignored in every version of this game.
PC & PS4
thumbwiz

Post by thumbwiz »

But there's finally a dog.
X1 / PC gaming
Ontario, Canada