Lack of Gearbox Support (bit of a rant)

Meadwolf

Re: Lack of Gearbox Support (bit of a rant)

Post by Meadwolf »

gordon861 wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 7:06 pm
TSX_EnhancedVehicle - looks good, a lot more functions than I wanted but might be good, the only problem is that it cannot use the shifter that comes with the wheel, so would have to use buttons on the wheel or keyboard.
The forward and reverse shuttle bindings are bindable to the shifter. At at least on the G920 as that is how I have it set up. Its a little janky but functional.
Miketeg

Post by Miketeg »

I use the clutch on the G920 to toggle between Forward and reverse and it works like a charm.
Has been dairy farmer - From Quebec, Canada
French is my first language, please excuse my English :-)
gordon861

Post by gordon861 »

Meadwolf wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:11 pm The forward and reverse shuttle bindings are bindable to the shifter. At at least on the G920 as that is how I have it set up. Its a little janky but functional.
I sort of have this working, push forward and it stays in gear until you select reverse. It would be nice if when you pull out of gear it would switch to park, so you could only move if you positively select a gear.
--------------
Hey Giants, when are you going to pull your head out of your backsides and actually talk to us?
W1der

Post by W1der »

When mapping you stick/pedals ... if your both press the clutch and toggle the stick and bind them together with forward/reverse in the controls menu you sort of force yourself to use the clutch pedal when shifting driving direction/gears ...

I do this as I am also using my gear stick for implement controls and cruise ctrl without the clutch pedal pressed ...
This turns your gear stick in to a 14 button controller (or how many gears your stick might have x2)... !

Gear 1: Toggle Cruise Ctrl On/Off
Gear 2: Lower/Lift implement
Gear 3: Cruise Ctrl +
Gear 4: Cruise Ctrl -
Gear 5: Impl On/Off
Gear 6: Lift / lower all implements

With FS17 I dont think you where able to map an axis for typical button controls ... they changed this for FS19 (Thank you GIANTS).

This make sit possible to double up on controls like this with the VCA mod ...

Clutch + Gear 1: Forward Gear
Clutch + Gear 2: "Neutral / Park"
Clutch + Gear 3: Gear Up
Clutch + Gear 4; Gear Down
Clutch + Gear 5: Range Up
Clutch + Gear 6: Range Down
Clutch + Reverse: Reverse Gear

Or what ever way you want to set it up!

I think setting the clutch up as a stand alone clutch (with the above setup) also works, for added realism, with the VCA mod ... if you want to do manual shifting with a lorry or whatever.
[Win11] Intel Core i9-13900F Tray 5.6GHz / MSI RTX4090 24GB GDDR6 / 2x16GB 5600MHz DDR5
wiseguy49

Post by wiseguy49 »

So kind of on topic/kind of not.... if I was to buy the Logitech Wheel and side panel that they made specifically for farm sim, should I wait? It seems to be out of stock almost everywhere... and with the recent announcement of a new partnership with Logitech, could a new model be coming out?
wadeeb

Post by wadeeb »

W1der wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 6:00 pm Actually VCA it is still being updated ... last update was 5 hours ago and is now on version 0.0.2.8

https://github.com/Mogli12/VehicleControlAddon

Also, GIANTS has included lines for gear shifting up/down in the inputBinding.xml and they are still there with patch 1.3 ... so hopefully they are working on this!
Also on Mogli's page in the description he lists another manual gearbox mod
norfolk farmer

Post by norfolk farmer »

Drmattymd wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 2:42 am
wiseguy49 wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 1:18 am So kind of on topic/kind of not.... if I was to buy the Logitech Wheel and side panel that they made specifically for farm sim, should I wait? It seems to be out of stock almost everywhere... and with the recent announcement of a new partnership with Logitech, could a new model be coming out?
I have no idea if a new version is coming or not but I think you're better off getting just the side panel and a separate wheel/pedal set. Ive heard a LOT of complaints about the wheel breaking
I would agree I had 2 Saitek wheels and neither lasted more than 3 months,so unless the design has been changed now Logitech own them I'd steer clear. The sidepanel is fine as I use it now along side a G29 wheel.
gordon861

Post by gordon861 »

I looked at getting the side panel but the cost just seemed to high so instead went along the self build route.

So the plan is for a switch box with a combination of switches/rotary encoders and two analogue joysticks.
--------------
Hey Giants, when are you going to pull your head out of your backsides and actually talk to us?
Coldlandlord

Post by Coldlandlord »

I can't believe that they did not put shuttle control in the game! I can just about deal with no manual gearbox but I can't play this game with the brake pedal as brake and reverse even with stop and go off.
The lack of seasons is the number 1 game breaker for me but the lack of shuttle control is up there at number 2. Sure, seasons is very complex but would it have been too much to ask to just have forward and reverse control. The in game brake/reverse combo is so so bad, especially after years of FS and the fact that most people use a wheel and pedals now. This is meant to be a simulator! in what world do you press the brake to reverse in any vehicle?
norfolk farmer

Post by norfolk farmer »

Coldlandlord wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:44 am I can't believe that they did not put shuttle control in the game! I can just about deal with no manual gearbox but I can't play this game with the brake pedal as brake and reverse even with stop and go off.
The lack of seasons is the number 1 game breaker for me but the lack of shuttle control is up there at number 2. Sure, seasons is very complex but would it have been too much to ask to just have forward and reverse control. The in game brake/reverse combo is so so bad, especially after years of FS and the fact that most people use a wheel and pedals now. This is meant to be a simulator! in what world do you press the brake to reverse in any vehicle?
It does seem strange as the enhanced vehicle mod gives this ability why could it not be in the basegame. Along the same lines why is the workshop tabber mod not a base feature.