I found the pulling weight limit shocking.

cdsang

I found the pulling weight limit shocking.

Post by cdsang »

In trucking there are legal weight limits as to what a truck can pull. In real life 1 liter of wheat equals about 1.7 lbs or 0.77 KG. The MAN 18.500 has an 18 metric ton or 19.8 U.S. ton pull limit, hence the 18 in the name. Assuming the MAN truck is pulling a trailer which weighs nothing, your limited to 23,376 liters of wheat. In game without mods the actual weight of wheat is half of actual weight upping the liters limit to 46,752, again assuming the trailer weighs nothing. The Krampe KS950 seems to be the closest in capacity for the MAN truck. This is also gets into the whole how full can you get a trailer before your over its legal limit. Just because something can hold alot by volume doesn't mean it can hold it by mass. I started messing with the ATC cargo container and transport pack and it just got me thinking. The 40 Foot container has 67 Cubic Meters of space and 28,000 KG limit, however 67 cubic meters of space equals 67700 liters after XML correction or about 52,000 KG in weight, way over its legal limit. Makes me wonder if we are actually overworking the ingame trucks, tractors and trailers in game.
silveradoman298

Re: I found the pulling weight limit shocking.

Post by silveradoman298 »

Interesting thread. Im aware of horsepower ratings on vehicles and implements, but perhaps the addition of weight ratings on vehicles and trailers would add another bit of realism to the game. This could make use of a weight scale mod. I could see a feature like this added to pc as a mod, but probably not console.
"I could give my hand to another line of work
But my heart will always be behind the wheel"
Guil

Post by Guil »

In Europe those figures are way off, 2 axle truck is indeed limited to 18 ton. A 3 axle tractor unit with a 3 axle trailer is limited to 46 ton as long as it has air suspension.

Actually I have read the op wrong. The 18 ton refers to max weight on the wheels, it doesn't mean that's the max weight altogether.
K Money

Post by K Money »

In the uk at least most farmers and I quote are ‘only going down the road’ so don’t care too much 😂
Platform; PC
Windows 7
crash

Post by crash »

A tractor in Norway can pull 1.5times its actually total weight. So if you have a 10ton tractor, put 2tons on the front and the trailer transfers 3 tons(k80 coupler) you end up at 15tons. 15x1.5 is 22.5tons towing. But there is a reqiuired hp per ton.
Xbox series s and pc :gamer:
In Norway
Crazof

Post by Crazof »

Legal weight limits and vehicle capacity(or rating) are two different things.
crash

Post by crash »

Yes and no. Can you farm today without driving on road?...
In Norway
loggerhall92

Post by loggerhall92 »

Theoretically the weights are wrong. In most us states a 5 axle truck and trailer can gross 80k. That's load and vehicle weight. and those weights are achieved by the Steer axle being 12k, the drivers being 34k and the 2 trailer axles being 34k or 40k with a 10 foot spread. Now with a 2 axle truck and 2 axle trailer, you go 12k on the steer, and 20k on the drive axle and 34k or 40k on the trailer axles. Don't qquote me on the single axle truck, I only work with 3 to 4 axle trucks, and 2 to 4 axle trailers at the mill, and the 8 axle setups are fun because alot of them are different.
DRandi

Post by DRandi »

Part of the problem with using realistic load weights in the game, (mod for realistic weight) is that it completely unbalanced everything. Giants setup tire compression and suspension loading around the half of actual load weight. So with a correct weight for the volume, tires and suspensions collapse and trailers bottom out.

Overly compressed tires do add resistance in the game. Edited the New Holland T5 as a experiment. Doubled the tractor weight and lowered the spring on the tires. Lost three miles ground speed with the same implements. Then restored the tractor settings and appropriately doubled the load weight, same result.

If also has other adverse side affects. The game has lots of different brands, but it sorely lacks diversity. Take the lime spreaders. They become unmovable on even the slightest incline with anything less than 300hp.

A separate issue but related is how the engine power band is calculated in game. It really only factors torque scale and not hp. Confirmed this by editing a Big Bud. Changed it to 10hp and it would still pull/plow exactly the same. Reversed and gave it the torque scale of a T5 but 3000hp, wouldn’t budge the same plow.

So to make a realistic power band, they programmed rapid torque build up off idle to max torque at midrange. Then it tappers off as engine speed increases to lower levels then the idle torque. By itself this would be correct, but it this is just not how engines produce power in real life. I can 100% guarantee that my tractor outside is more powerful at midrange to max rpm then idle to midrange.

This is why every vehicle ingame acts like it has a CVT transmission where the engine just revs up and holds to the load. So in reality the game needs a complete balanceing overhaul.
Last edited by DRandi on Thu Feb 21, 2019 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
szechla

Post by szechla »

crash wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 1:10 pm Yes and no. Can you farm today without driving on road?...
can you drive on a road heavier than legal limit? you can, you will be breaking a law, but nothing is physically making it impossible for you to drive over limit
the only thing preventing people from driving over the weight limit is respect (or fear - take your pick) for the law

besides, how do you imagine implementing such a thing?
game is available worldwide, and weight limits vary from state to state, from country to country, and from continent to continent
add the fact that on your own land you can load your truck as heavy as you wish, so what should happen when you attempt to drive overweight on a public road? truck should stop as if on autopilot? police should give chase and turn this game into a GTA?
this is simply not practical

of course, if you prefer more role-playing style of gaming, nothing is stopping you from setting and following any rules you wish in this virtual world - it is beauty and power of imagination
hpmc13

Post by hpmc13 »

DRandi wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 4:29 pm A separate issue but related is how the engine power band is calculated in game. It really only factors torque scale and not hp.
You are correct; it was the same way in FS17 as well. The HP listed in the vehicle's .xml file is what shows in the shop and has no bearing on its actual capacity. You can edit the torque scale to whatever you want and change the HP to 0 and it will behave exactly as you have seen. Torque scale is what matters; HP is merely for information.

viewtopic.php?t=81181
Playing on PC
stevoxsi

Post by stevoxsi »

The 18 is the max weight of the tractor unit.

In the UK the max weight limits are:
Rigid:
2 axles 18t
3 axles 26t
4 axles 32t
Articulated:
4 axles 36t
5 axles 40t
6 axles 44t.
All the above are maximum weights depending on the vehicle and refer to gross weight. There are some exceptions but they get really boring!
Anything over 44t falls into STGO regs and you need a higher plated tractor unit to do it. I drive a 4x2 tractor unit for work with a tri axle trailer so my max is 40t. We have a 6x4 daf unit plated for 80t which is stgo class 2 but can only run at that weight under certain conditions. With the tipping trailer on its only running 44t same as any other 6 wheeler unit.
Sorry got carried away there...... :biggrin2:
Fs11-15 on pc. Fs17 & 19 on xb1.
Guil

Post by Guil »

Have you come across any 5 axle rigids yet steve? Down here they are rated for 39t but go down the road like a boat lol.
pingu

Post by pingu »

Posts seems to be all over the place on this subject, but isn't the main thing here having a game that is somewhat realistic *and* playable and not only realistic? Having exact weight and volumes for everything could make the game kind of tedious to play. Some tasks could take up a huge amount of time and turn a realistic thing that farmers do into something boring in this game. Examples: Follow the exact weights and volumes and regulations as in the real world could makes it really time consuming to transport crops to a sell-point. The task needs to be there and you should benefit from using a bigger tipper, but I think the difference is adjusted so that it is not totally frustrating using a small tipper. The same with harvesting. You should get a decent amount of crops from the smaller starting fields of a map, and I would guess using exact volumes as in the real world would make it weird in the gameplay. But then you have to transport it, and you need to be able to that with smaller starting equipment.

Also, two other things from FS17 that I'm plying now comes to mind. I used a Lely loading wagon (45.000 l capacity) to load straws. When I dumped a full load on the ground, the pile ended up being more than twice the visible size of the whole loading wagon. And I'm using digistate as fertilizer. The tanker I spread it with can hold about 16.000 l. I also have a tank for the IT runner system to transport digistate in. It holds 50.000 l. But looking at them, the size of that tank is only 50% larger than the tanker a spread it with, despite holding over 3x more. Probably good reasons for all this. The actual task is there, but adjusted so there still is a difference between machinery but its not too time consuming and tedious even with smaller machinery.
<-- FS17 on an iMac 27" playing Lone Oak Farm and The Western Shore -->
crash

Post by crash »

Here, something from us, never see log trucks made this way in europe. 1steering axle, 3 lift axles and 2 driven Axels.. But any region buildt whatever it takes to minimixe number of loads withing the rules.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzcpK3I_xpY&t=85s
closest thing i know of in norway is Heavy haul trucks, like trafo station moving stuff. but they usually just have 4 Axels, some others have the fifth axle that can be boltet on
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AK19dfYDqWQ

Think Eu/UK/norway/etc are prtty much the same when it comes to trucks.

In game i have a modded 100.000k trailer. lets just say thaht my 435hp case 7250 isent quick with 95tons behind it :lol: :mrgreen:

I think capasaty in liters in game are where they should be, regarding implement fill voulmes etc. but wheight is around half i think, 1 ton is 500kg or something, ive read somewhere.. Volume og diffrent stuff is all over the place, like with straw/grass/silage etc..
In Norway