How Much Longer Will The FS Series Go On For?

JohnDeere496091

How Much Longer Will The FS Series Go On For?

Post by JohnDeere496091 »

I know that the Fs Series has been around sense 2008. I would like to know how much longer this game has left in it. I could/would play it until Giants stops putting this game out. I have always loved the game and hopefully people let up on Giants and give them the time they need to make a good game. Edit: Mods Can close thread if you want
eight_lugs

Re: How Much Longer Will The FS Series Go On For?

Post by eight_lugs »

Forever
crash

Post by crash »

As long as people buy it and the developers make money, and the owners are happy with the amount they make..
Xbox series s and pc :gamer:
In Norway
bossmanslim

Post by bossmanslim »

There are really two options:
  1. Additional competitors move into the simulator space and put out a superior product and the community moves over to those products. This is what happened to Everquest when World of Warcraft came out. Everquest 2 was released to try to reclaim market share but was a failure in that regard. EverQuest Next was next, but was scraped. Everquest servers are still running and the IP sold to Daybreak Game Company , Everquest 2 was made free to play and transitioned over to micro transactions. Everquest is now the equivalent of FS19 being solely supported by mods going forward with no future releases in the franchise of any significance.
  2. Giants and the associated IP is sold to another company where the game is either put out with poor quality or run into the ground such that sales don't live up to the owning companies expectations. Resources are allocated away from Farm Sim to other projects which the owning company views as a better return on investment. If you want to see how this is done, just watch Electronic Arts and how it handles just about everything (Ultima, Dungeon Keeper, Command & Conquer, Wing Commander, Need for Speed, anything Star Wars, Simcity)
JohnDeereLimo

Post by JohnDeereLimo »

eight_lugs wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 6:25 pmForever
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-Q7b-vHY3Q
Addictedtofs

Post by Addictedtofs »

I know of one company that could completely dominate the simulation genre if they were to expand: Maxis. If they were to make a farming simulator for PC as well as consoles, these smaller companies would be blown out of the water.
Fear of the fool is the beginning of wisdom--The Book of Dawn and Dusk

Dragonborn, huh? Was it your ma or your pa that was the dragon?” --Hadvar

Commander set a course. There's coffee in that nebula.--Admiral Catherine Janeway
DirectCedar

Post by DirectCedar »

Addictedtofs wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 8:58 pm I know of one company that could completely dominate the simulation genre if they were to expand: Maxis. If they were to make a farming simulator for PC as well as consoles, these smaller companies would be blown out of the water.
They're not exactly strangers to the simulated farming genre. Pioneers actually.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64biGYqEpgQ

Mind you all that is left of the original company today is really the name, as it was eaten by, digested, and disposed of by EA.
Addictedtofs

Post by Addictedtofs »

DirectCedar wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 9:29 pm
True
Fear of the fool is the beginning of wisdom--The Book of Dawn and Dusk

Dragonborn, huh? Was it your ma or your pa that was the dragon?” --Hadvar

Commander set a course. There's coffee in that nebula.--Admiral Catherine Janeway
Deereslayer

Post by Deereslayer »

I think they will put out a game for consoles and PC in 21, but that will be it for console. Unless they make some major major innovations to this series, it has run its course especially on console. Nothing really changed except the build your own farm option, which is nice but not as good as everyone thought. I think seasons being excluded really hurt the game and the reputation of the series. They literally went backwards. I want real life farming simulation. This is just an equipment driving game at this point. I don't see me purchasing again if it stays this course.
thumbwiz

Post by thumbwiz »

There's always a new crowd who will be willing to buy their kids a game with big shiny tractors around Christmas. This series clearly relies on that given the hard release date just before Christmas whether it's finished or not. Us regulars will grow old and move on. Within a couple years the 2 known competitors will have enough experience under their belt, and if Giants isn't able to keep up, they just might lose out. Tech changes quickly, and things are not done the way they were back when FS coded their engine.
X1 / PC gaming
Ontario, Canada
Coldlandlord

Post by Coldlandlord »

When FS21 is due, If its a repeat of the disastrous launch of fs19 then i thinks its days are numbered. Like a lot of people on here, I will certainly not be buying another FS game until I have seen gameplay and read the reviews as I still don't feel that FS19 is playable for me or anywhere near as good as FS17 at the moment and we are 4-5 months (20% of the games life span) in now. Maybe I should skip a version and buy the game every 4 years instead.

The main problem will be when the modders get fed up of the games issues and having to spend vast amounts of time, every 2 years, fixing and redoing the same things over and over again.
Why these "must have mods" are not seen by Giants as a priority and put into the base game i don't know?? I mean, how much longer are the makers of courseplay, gps, follow me, seasons, gearbox, etc going to keep redoing these mods, testing them, tweaking them, just to have to do them again 18 months later? They must be sick to death of it by now! If we lose the Modders then the game is dead.

Another issue is that we now have other farming games. I imagine that a lot of FS players are kids and they do not necessarily care to much about the realism aspect, therefore, a more simple, less detailed, more kid orientated game could quite easily take over this chunk of the FS market which leaves Giants with the simulator audience.

FS is a supposed to be a SIMULATOR but to me Fs19 is trying to be a bit of everything and its not very good at any of it in my mind. It is only the mods that push it over the line into the simulator genre and It has a massive following of people who want the simulator experience.
If we don't see a progression of this in the base game then i feel its going to be stuck in limbo between a game for kids and a bad sim.

I understand that Giants are a business and they have to maximise sales of the game to continue and that means they have to target different types of players on different platforms, however i feel that it is impossible to please everyone and that it is better to focus on doing less very well over trying to do too much badly. If they do not focus on a specific path then it will be lost.

If we take FS19 for example and put aside the fact that it was barely in beta form. If it had seasons, a form of courseplay, gps, gearbox (or shuttle control at the very least), good ground deformation, spin tires type ground response and realistic economy, it would have been an awsome game from the start!
Deadeye

Post by Deadeye »

I've seen two posts on this thread with people saying that Farming Simulator isn't enough of a "Simulator". While I can not prove this to be true or false, because it's purely a matter of opinion, I do believe that this issue is something that GIANTS have continually battled. When a game is TOO realistic, it tends to lose some of the playerbase. I personally think that is why you see an increasing number of "realism" options in the game options for Farming Simulator. Simply put, not everyone wants them. You and I might find it more interesting and challenging, while other people find it a pain in the rear. Even myself, growing up in a rural community and living and working around farms my entire life, would eventually find a point when the game might become too realistic. An easy way to work around this is to have all of the features as options that can be customized in a menu, which GIANTS does. However, there should absolutely be more of these.

As far as the series dying, If seasons isn't integrated into the next iteration of the game, it might be it for me. Most certainly I will be looking into other farming titles. I agree that the latest version of the game is a bit lacking in improvements. In the meantime, I see a lot of other similar titles are advancing and catching up to Farming Simulator, which for a long time was, and still is, ahead of the rest. This is increasingly less true though. I hope that this game and GIANTS can rise above the issues with this latest iteration and recover well. Regardless, I hope the best for GIANTS, because I have played their games for a good while at this point.
"We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately."- Benjamin Franklin
"Speak softly and carry a big stick; You will go far"- Theodore Roosevelt
“There may be times when we are powerless to prevent injustice, but there must never be a time when we fail to protest.” – Elie Wiesel
Coldlandlord

Post by Coldlandlord »

I agree it's been a battle to strike a balance of realism for the sim audience and a tractor driving game for kids. This has worked well until now. it is not a new concept anymore. Gone are the days where we would say, "that's stupid but oh well, it's cool that it's a farming game". Times have changed, the fans are more demanding and divided. I think they will need to make a decision on whether to go for a kids driving game or a premium sim. I for one would happily pay a lot more for this game if it was good.
Deadeye

Post by Deadeye »

Coldlandlord wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 4:06 pm I agree it's been a battle to strike a balance of realism for the sim audience and a tractor driving game for kids. This has worked well until now. it is not a new concept anymore. Gone are the days where we would say, "that's stupid but oh well, it's cool that it's a farming game". Times have changed, the fans are more demanding and divided. I think they will need to make a decision on whether to go for a kids driving game or a premium sim. I for one would happily pay a lot more for this game if it was good.

Why should the game have to change based off of one person or a group of people's preferences? Make the realism features customizable and optional. Then everyone wins. Want to play an arcade style tractor driving game, running through fields and crashing equipment, and leaving hay in heaps on the ground for months? Knock yourself out! Want to play an ultra realistic simulation where everything has to be planned to a T? Go ahead! Are you like me and like something in the middle, where bumping into another piece of equipment isn't catastrophic, but possibly costs you a little money? That's just fine too.

That is the beauty with games like this. There is no specific way it has to be played. You can play how you want, as can I. GIANTS shouldn't have to make a "decision" about how realistic they are going to be. Simply adding in more customization and freedom as to how the game can be played is more than sufficient, and it would still be appealing to a variety of audiences. Also, the more realistic a game like this gets, the smaller the audience it caters to. Once that audience is smaller, the game makes less money for the developers. Less money means less resources for new features of all kinds.
"We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately."- Benjamin Franklin
"Speak softly and carry a big stick; You will go far"- Theodore Roosevelt
“There may be times when we are powerless to prevent injustice, but there must never be a time when we fail to protest.” – Elie Wiesel
Lostfarmer6474

Post by Lostfarmer6474 »

Played FS 11,13,15,17. Preordered FS19. Loading screen is looking great. Then I found that spot in the game and those mountains far away are looking like it is FS 11 again. Can not make myself to play it. Every time I am in that spot it is just kills game for me. So FS 19 is last one for me. May be I just tired of farming.