Thoughts on more wrapped bales

Who thinks more wrapped bales should be added to FS?

Yeah! Wrapped straw and haylage would be awesome to have in FS!
52%
Wrap-able straw would be a nice addition!
2%
Haylage would be a nice addition!
12%
Nah, I'm good with the current system.
34%

Total votes: 92

lloydhard

Thoughts on more wrapped bales

Post by lloydhard »

I've been viewing the forums for a while now and decided to finally create an account. I'm a dairy farmer IRL and have been hooked on the FS games since FS2013. I have been wanting a rowed bale wrapper since I started playing FS and my dream came true the other day when I saw the first DLC. We actually own the Anderson IFX720 in real life, and that got me thinking. Here are my thoughts on more types of wrapped bales.

Wrap-able straw bales- We never store our bales inside, all of them get wrapped, because we don't have the space for 2300 round straw bales in a barn lol. I personally think that that option would be nice if you are playing realistically in FS.

Haylage- Wrapping a hay bale should give you haylage. Haylage is semi pickled hay that is used in TMR in real life. In Farming Simulator this should replace the hay in the TMR mix. Haylage should not be suitable for horses or sheep and should only be used in TMR.

Those are my thoughts on different types of wrapped bales. What are your thoughts?

Attached is a poll to see what you guys think of more wrapped bales.

Thanks!
Playing on PS4
I'm a real life dairy farmer in eastern Canada
Corstaad

Re: Thoughts on more wrapped bales

Post by Corstaad »

I'm ok with haylage being lumped in the silage department of this game. Its interesting to me as well with the new inline wrappers and what you can do with storage options in them. The place I'm at now bought some sight unseen individual baleage wraps from a producer on some hay ground from a vegetable cannery site. The bales came extremely wet and the farm hand speared them off the truck. The water was dripping out of the wrap and smelled awful so they didnt use them. Come winter they have half ton mold blocks of ice and want to feed them. Do you "sweat" the dried hay and straw before you wrap them inline?
norfolk farmer

Post by norfolk farmer »

In 17 when using seasons you could wrap hay, it remained as hay as apposed to haylage as it stopped it rotting if stored outdoors.
redglasses

Post by redglasses »

Once seasons releases you’ll be able to wrap straw most likely
Playing Lincoln Creek on PC
Upload your screenshots here: IMG server
My Discord
Remember there is no need to spread your manure around the forums :wink3:
Jack of all trades, master of the skid steer
lloydhard

Post by lloydhard »

Corstaad wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 1:50 pm I'm ok with haylage being lumped in the silage department of this game. Its interesting to me as well with the new inline wrappers and what you can do with storage options in them. The place I'm at now bought some sight unseen individual baleage wraps from a producer on some hay ground from a vegetable cannery site. The bales came extremely wet and the farm hand speared them off the truck. The water was dripping out of the wrap and smelled awful so they didnt use them. Come winter they have half ton mold blocks of ice and want to feed them. Do you "sweat" the dried hay and straw before you wrap them inline?
They might not have dried the hay enough, they might have wrapped the bales when they were wet (this is most likely what happened, or there might have been a cut in the wrap that water seeped in. Haylage normally sweats a bit, normally there is a bit of bad stuff at the bottom of the bale, but nothing like you are talking about. The suppliers obviously sold you very bad bales.
Playing on PS4
lloydhard

Post by lloydhard »

redglasses wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 7:52 pm Once seasons releases you’ll be able to wrap straw most likely
I'm looking forward to that *thumbsup*
Playing on PS4
norfolk farmer

Post by norfolk farmer »

redglasses wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 7:52 pm Once seasons releases you’ll be able to wrap straw most likely
I stand to be corrected but I don't believe seasons gave that option in 17.
Cowboy5130

Post by Cowboy5130 »

I’m hoping that when the bales are wrapped together, they will count as 1 bale and drastically lower the concern for bale limit by wrapping. It would be logical if a bale was added to the count when you pulled it out of the wrap but it would help consoles out a lot for the bales being wrapped together to be counted as 1
Ps4 realistic gameplay;
Ravenport start-from-scratch;
Absolutely love the game!
lloydhard

Post by lloydhard »

Cowboy5130 wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 2:25 pm I’m hoping that when the bales are wrapped together, they will count as 1 bale and drastically lower the concern for bale limit by wrapping. It would be logical if a bale was added to the count when you pulled it out of the wrap but it would help consoles out a lot for the bales being wrapped together to be counted as 1
I wish that was the case...
Playing on PS4
Coltar452017

Post by Coltar452017 »

Corn husk bales
lloydhard

Post by lloydhard »

Coltar452017 wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 10:23 pm Corn husk bales
Ive never heard of corn husk bales, is it corn silage wrapped? Normally where I'm from we put it in a bunker and cover it if we were making silage, like currently in game.
Playing on PS4
Corstaad

Post by Corstaad »

Its just corn straw bales.
Coltar452017

Post by Coltar452017 »

That's what I was saying corn straw bales I saw farmers doing it
Cowboy5130

Post by Cowboy5130 »

We do that on our farm. It works better than straw between trapping animals heat as well as letting fluids sink through it and it helps keep the cattle from getting hoof-jam. The only downside is it’s hard on the mowers and balers(round balers at least)
Ps4 realistic gameplay;
Ravenport start-from-scratch;
Absolutely love the game!
chedly_farms

Post by chedly_farms »

lloydhard wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 10:35 pm
Coltar452017 wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 10:23 pm Corn husk bales
Ive never heard of corn husk bales, is it corn silage wrapped? Normally where I'm from we put it in a bunker and cover it if we were making silage, like currently in game.
After corn harvest some farmers will take a rotary mower and mow down the remaining stalk. Then go thru and windrow them and bale that for cow/cattle bedding.
Currently Playing on XBoxOne : Elm Creek

-----> And "Thank You Modders" for your contributions <----