THe truth bout the log forks

theSeb

Re: THe truth bout the log forks

Post by theSeb »

Deadeye wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:54 pm
gordon861 wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:59 pm The forks are supposed to be powerful bits of kit that'll bite into the wood, instead we have the grabbers from the fairground when trying to win prizes.
Log forks don't usually "bite" into the wood. Possible I misunderstood you there. They do get a tighter grip than they tend to do in Farming Simulator though. They work about like hands covered in grease or oil here.
Not sure what you are doing with your grapples then. Perhaps stop spreading grease all over them? I don't have such problems in real life. :D
redglasses

Post by redglasses »

My skid steer grapple works fine, if you are skilled enough with the skid steer you can get a really quick cycle time too.
Playing Lincoln Creek on PC
Upload your screenshots here: IMG server
My Discord
Remember there is no need to spread your manure around the forums :wink3:
Jack of all trades, master of the skid steer
DirectCedar

Post by DirectCedar »

theSeb wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:58 am
Deadeye wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:54 pm
gordon861 wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:59 pm The forks are supposed to be powerful bits of kit that'll bite into the wood, instead we have the grabbers from the fairground when trying to win prizes.
Log forks don't usually "bite" into the wood. Possible I misunderstood you there. They do get a tighter grip than they tend to do in Farming Simulator though. They work about like hands covered in grease or oil here.
Not sure what you are doing with your grapples then. Perhaps stop spreading grease all over them? I don't have such problems in real life. :D
I think he meant "here" as in "here in the game". i.e. I read him to say that log forks in Farming Simulator work as if they're covered in grease and oil :lol: :lol: which I agree is not an inaccurate description... I had the same complaint with 17 about log physics in general.

If the grabs and forks and even the trailers could somehow incorporate some sort of an "auto-load and lock" feature once you get the log or the load or the whole bunk very close manually, the logging equipment would be much less frustrating. I don't know how many times I've had a mitt full in a grab and had it -almost- positioned just right when one little one decided to start sliding randomly from what appeared to be a firm and rigid grip, and send the whole situation into an epic mess....
theSeb

Post by theSeb »

Ah well, fair enough then. It sounded like he kept missing his grease nipples, which can happen.

In the game I find the problem is not so much that they are slippery or greasy, but the fact that the actual gripping part is nearly non existent. Basically it's like lacking the hydraulic power to actually do what they should do, because it's clearly not simulated very well in the physics engine. This has been a problem in FS since 15 when we first got forestry.
crash

Post by crash »

if on pc search for log forks on any mod site and you will find a yellow one that works fine. Havent tried the new double one in the mod hub.. The problem with both is that you have to place it a very specific way to get it to grab the log. The bottom part needs to be shorter and curved, and the top part needs to be longer.. that way you dont have to scoop the log first, the top part does the scoop when closing.. With the ones in game, you have to tilt it all the way forward and use it like you are picking something from a table with your hand.. And the rock hard ground and he lack of wheight in the logs dosent help..
Xbox series s and pc :gamer:
In Norway
DirectCedar

Post by DirectCedar »

theSeb wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 5:55 pm
In the game I find the problem is not so much that they are slippery or greasy, but the fact that the actual gripping part is nearly non existent. Basically it's like lacking the hydraulic power to actually do what they should do, because it's clearly not simulated very well in the physics engine. This has been a problem in FS since 15 when we first got forestry.
Yeah this is a better way to put it than my slipping analogy. It very much is like they just won't grip tightly enough to keep everything where you expect it to be. It almost feels like you are trying to balance a log on a single point because it's never really secured by friction anywhere. You think you have a log, or a whole load, sitting square and secure in a grab or on a trailer, and then one little sway or bump or push knocks it all kittywonkers. Really that grab should have a death grip on it. Bumping something or swinging a little around a corner shouldn't upset anything. Instead it's like trying to load a card house without knocking it over... I often find I am tensing up doing logging work wondering when the next thing is going to go flying and it will be faster to reset than to try to pick apart the mess :lol:
Oseh

Post by Oseh »

Biobeltz LF180 Log Fork - release this week on the in-game ModHub - works like a charm. Used it in FS17 for over 400 trees loaded, in FS19 it's just as reliable.
FarmerJeff

Post by FarmerJeff »

The Biobeltz log fork is the one I was waiting for. Used it a bunch in 17, glad to hear it’s working in 19.
Corstaad

Post by Corstaad »

I was waiting on it to but now I'm so used to the manure grapple that I don't like biobelt limited clam spread. With manure grapple I'm getting at least two logs a turn. Trick is to never turn sharply and use gradual acceleration. I don't understand how it's been changed so much from FS17 to FS19. Don't they run change logs to look back on what they did?
Virgo_Dog

Post by Virgo_Dog »

The Biobeltz fork is ok for those who use a frontloader, what is needed is a Telehandler option. In '17 I preferred the Log Grab Extra by CSZ, so I hope for a mod of something similar.
Forum - MacBook Pro
FS 19 - PS 4
Maps - Mercury Farms
Bring back stubble burning and Mangol-wurzels