SAITEK Side Panel or Stream Deck

FS Velocity

SAITEK Side Panel or Stream Deck

Post by FS Velocity »

What would be the better purchase? :confusednew:
GIZYODAMO

Re: SAITEK Side Panel or Stream Deck

Post by GIZYODAMO »

I have the side panel and honestly you can get a decent joystick and diy button box that will work just as good if not better, I think these extras are far to over priced now that I see how they work, and before anyone jumps on the computer knowledge band wagon... I have no special computer knowledge, making a basic button box ( which is all the side panel really is ) is something anyone can do, if you knew me you would realize how true this is
PrincessJessi84

Post by PrincessJessi84 »

I have a tiny Bluetooth keyboard that I used with an old tablet and its perfect.. when I bought it I think I paid like 20 usd for it brand new.. with cheap alternatives like that I see absolutely no point in paying the price of these side panels and there r no diy projects required to get a quality result
https://fs19communitytrader.freeforums.net/
PC
PC - Ryzen 7-2700 8core, 32gb ram, 2x2tb SSD, RTX 2080 SUPER 8gb, GX-850 Gold PSU
Displays - ASUS ROG Strix XG43VQ 43” Super Ultra-Wide Curved HDR Gaming Monitor 120Hz (3840 x 1200)
Samsung CFG70 27" Curved gaming Monitor 144HZ (1920 x 1080)
2x 24" Dell Monitors
Controllers - T150 Pro, Side Panel, TrackIR7, TM Stick
GIZYODAMO

Post by GIZYODAMO »

PrincessJessi84 wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:01 am I have a tiny Bluetooth keyboard that I used with an old tablet and its perfect.. when I bought it I think I paid like 20 usd for it brand new.. with cheap alternatives like that I see absolutely no point in paying the price of these side panels and there r no diy projects required to get a quality result
Hmmm, good idea, never thought about a second keyboard, I am sure not everyone wants to get into diy stuff lol
GIZYODAMO

Post by GIZYODAMO »

oh , just want to mention that if you have no problem buying existing controllers like the side panel don't limit yourself to only items designed around this game, joysticks or flight sticks as they are also called work very well and I also use a logitech throttle quadrant to add a bit of realism to the controls because of the lever style sticks, lots of options I am sure, if price is an issue the keyboard is a likely the best option
PrincessJessi84

Post by PrincessJessi84 »

yea I use my shifter to operate most implements.. its perfect and really adds a nice touch of realism in there.. I have the knob for ats that I have a few things mapped to as well adding even more functionality to the shifter
https://fs19communitytrader.freeforums.net/
PC
PC - Ryzen 7-2700 8core, 32gb ram, 2x2tb SSD, RTX 2080 SUPER 8gb, GX-850 Gold PSU
Displays - ASUS ROG Strix XG43VQ 43” Super Ultra-Wide Curved HDR Gaming Monitor 120Hz (3840 x 1200)
Samsung CFG70 27" Curved gaming Monitor 144HZ (1920 x 1080)
2x 24" Dell Monitors
Controllers - T150 Pro, Side Panel, TrackIR7, TM Stick
gordon861

Post by gordon861 »

GIZYODAMO wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 3:58 am I have the side panel and honestly you can get a decent joystick and diy button box that will work just as good if not better, I think these extras are far to over priced now that I see how they work, and before anyone jumps on the computer knowledge band wagon... I have no special computer knowledge, making a basic button box ( which is all the side panel really is ) is something anyone can do, if you knew me you would realize how true this is
I'm in the process of assembling a box using one of these boards (32 buttons and an analogue joystick)
http://www.leobodnar.com/shop/index.php ... cts_id=180

My problem is that I'm bad at soldering so either need to get better or use blade connectors.
--------------
Hey Giants, when are you going to pull your head out of your backsides and actually talk to us?
GIZYODAMO

Post by GIZYODAMO »

gordon861 wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 2:37 pm
GIZYODAMO wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 3:58 am I have the side panel and honestly you can get a decent joystick and diy button box that will work just as good if not better, I think these extras are far to over priced now that I see how they work, and before anyone jumps on the computer knowledge band wagon... I have no special computer knowledge, making a basic button box ( which is all the side panel really is ) is something anyone can do, if you knew me you would realize how true this is
I'm in the process of assembling a box using one of these boards (32 buttons and an analogue joystick)

My problem is that I'm bad at soldering so either need to get better or use blade connectors.
look on amazon or ebay, you can find very simple solderless joystick encoders (https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B01LZBFMWG/?co ... _lig_dp_it) add some small crimp connectors to the wires and good to go
GIZYODAMO

Post by GIZYODAMO »

GIZYODAMO wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 8:05 pm
gordon861 wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 2:37 pm

look on amazon or ebay, you can find very simple solderless joystick encoders (https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B01LZBFMWG/?co ... _lig_dp_it) add some small crimp connectors to the wires and good to go
if you need some help PM me and I will see what I can do
W1der

Post by W1der »

I am using the Elgato Stream deck as a part of my setup ... it’s nice to be able to customize the look of your buttons ... and change the layout of the buttons depending on what type of vehicle you are using ...

It works really well with FS19!
[Win11] Intel Core i9-13900F Tray 5.6GHz / MSI RTX4090 24GB GDDR6 / 2x16GB 5600MHz DDR5
gordon861

Post by gordon861 »

GIZYODAMO wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 8:05 pm look on amazon or ebay, you can find very simple solderless joystick encoders (https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B01LZBFMWG/?co ... _lig_dp_it) add some small crimp connectors to the wires and good to go
I have a bunch of 3mm female blade connectors on the way that I plan to try out. Otherwise it's back to the soldering iron.

20x push buttons
6x rotary encoders
2x analogue joysticks (https://shop.pimoroni.com/products/mini-analog-joystick)

--------------
Hey Giants, when are you going to pull your head out of your backsides and actually talk to us?
GIZYODAMO

Post by GIZYODAMO »

I think the blade connectors should work fine, that is how I do it, I'm not so handy with the soldering iron either lol, what you have there looks good, should make things more fun in game, I am in the works of building something now, sorry no pics, I am actually not that handy with computers but I am finding it not so hard to figure out, I am currently working at incorporating a flight throttle quadrant int my setup as it gives a realistic feel of lever controls
gordon861

Post by gordon861 »

My original plan involved cutting the holes for the switches out of wood or metal. Only tried the wood but it was an awful mess and keeping the holes in line was difficult.

In the end I went with getting the piece laser cut from acrylic, worked out about £20 for an A4 sheet.

My first test run was a sheet full of cut out holes all labelled with the diameter I set the circles in AutoCAD, ranging from 1mm to 40mm (in mostly 0.5mm steps). This means when I buy any new switches etc I can just offer them up to the sheet to work out the size hole that'll work for them, much more reliable than trusting the web listings.
--------------
GIZYODAMO

Post by GIZYODAMO »

guess I'm doing it the hard way lol, I carefully drill my holes, it has worked so far but it does take time and patience