Log length

dunnjob

Log length

Post by dunnjob »

Does anyone know what length of log gets the most profit per tree cut?

Is there even a difference in FS19?
We are all ignorant, we are all just ignorant about different things.

Recent convert to PC on FS19
farmerdonnie

Re: Log length

Post by farmerdonnie »

depends but i vote for 8 metre length
cmdrbyron

Post by cmdrbyron »

Profit is maximized when log length is between 8 and 11 m, outside of which you get a lower % of the unit price per volume. FS calculates lumber volume as function of length and diameter.
bossmanslim

Post by bossmanslim »

I tested 5,6 and 10 meter logs on Grizzly Mt. 6 meter is the most profitable.
cmdrbyron

Post by cmdrbyron »

What is the wood payout rate and ratio set to in Grizzly Mountain (since it is a custom map)? What did you to to ensure consistency in your analysis (did you cut the exact same tree the exact same way, just adjusting the lengths)? Did you cut down one big tree and cut it into 3 pieces of different length (5, 6, and 10m)? How did you calculate overall volume for each log (or did you use a cylindrical assumption for the entirety of the log length, assuming that the diameter was constant)?

Trees in FS have some elements of randomness to them, with diameter being one dimension that may not always be 100% consistent across different trees, even if they were planted one right after the other. As well, not all trees are necessarily planted at the same depth, so even by cutting "flush" with the ground, you may actually be cutting higher/lower than the one next to it, which can affect the volume of the felled tree.

IIRC, Giants themselves set the wood pricing model to optimize payout (on a per unit volumetric basis) for log lengths between 8 and 11m, but that can be adjusted by modders in maps. Curvature (or lack thereof) is another element factored into the calculation.
Crazof

Post by Crazof »

refer to this video by MrB gam1ng, seems a pretty good reference point, although it seems each example is a different tree, ultimate test would be to use the same tree

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2ZP613_4r0
bossmanslim

Post by bossmanslim »

cmdrbyron wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 4:45 pm 1. What is the wood payout rate and ratio set to in Grizzly Mountain (since it is a custom map)?
2. What did you to to ensure consistency in your analysis (did you cut the exact same tree the exact same way, just adjusting the lengths)? Did you cut down one big tree and cut it into 3 pieces of different length (5, 6, and 10m)? How did you calculate overall volume for each log (or did you use a cylindrical assumption for the entirety of the log length, assuming that the diameter was constant)?
1. I don't know
2. I cut down the exact same tree model and ran it through the processor at the various lengths. I then loaded all the parts of the tree (full and partial lengths) onto a truck for each log length individually. I took those parts to the saw mill and sold them. 6m has the highest sell price by about 10% with 5m and 10m being about the same.