FS19 Reality Challenge

Emmiran

FS19 Reality Challenge

Post by Emmiran »

Hello all.

I've been looking for a bit of a challenge with Farming Simulator. I've come up with this set for myself. Firstly, credit to Virtual Farmer and his awesome community for coming up with the basis of this ruleset. I don't claim to be originator, but I've just expanded to my own thoughts. I'm going to post them here : https://docs.google.com/document/d/1f8I ... sp=sharing

One of the main reasons for the extended rules is I've been looking for something to go with streaming FS19 and this is what I've settled on. I'm also hoping that by using similar phrasing and tags, if anyone else who currently streams, or has been thinking about taking it up, might be able to find a community of like minded viewers to enjoy FS19 with.

Let me know if you have any thoughts :)
Stay at home Dad, turned terrible streamer :)

https://www.twitch.tv/emmiran
TZ441

Re: FS19 Reality Challenge

Post by TZ441 »

As someone that has lived on a farm my whole life, i got some feedback on realism for ya.
1: The 500k loan is a bit iffy. IRL i would maybe think about changing that rule where u can ounly take out a loan for either a piece of equiment (max 500k) or land (Max 1 million) and a time not both together so your loan never exceed 1 mil. Land is really expesive in alot of high quality farming areas so that makes sense.
2: The animals delivered, IRL yoy would be surprised how many ranchers do not hayl their own cattle. Alot that i know personnally dont have Cattle pots to haul so they have to have them shipped. just food for thought there cause having them shipped is not uncommon.
3: This is what i personally do to simulate the ups and downs of an economy. Easy economy=1 Normal=2 Hard =3. take a random number generator and have it pick a number 1-3 for ya then stay on that economy for one crop rotation and repeat.
4: Another thing ive done for realism is set a tractor limit to 3 maybe 2 if u want a real challenge. Ussally farms have 2 to 3 main tractors that get used very heavily not often do u see farmers with 4 or more heavily used tractors unluss that have a 10 thousand acre plus operation.
5: u could aslo make it challenginy by not harvesting at night. Alot of the time the dew makes the croo to wet to go thru the combine effetintly so most farmers call it once its been dark for a hour or longer.
Thats about all i could think of right now hope these ideas helped ya out some!
FS15, FS17, FS19 all on Xbox.
FS19 on PC
4th Generation Cattle rancher in South Dakota.
kahfs

Post by kahfs »

How can "reality gaming" come out of rules if the economy is completely unreal? In my opinion you need to fix the economy first.
K. Henneberg/ArmChairFarming. Author of RealLifeNumbers (FS19, FS22)
Emmiran

Post by Emmiran »

@TZ441 Thanks for the feedback and ideas!

I hear what you're saying about the loan amounts, but within the landscape of FS, $1M to start with ( capital plus loans ) with the ability to lease and the land prices that seem to be on maps, I think that's a good point for a slow progression. Now some maps have land prices that are significantly higher or lower than the default pricing, so it certainly may need to be adjusted map dependant.

I take your point on the hauling of animals. Some of these rules I guess are so that farmers get to experience the full array of tools that the game has to offer IE in this case getting to use the animal transports

Your idea on the economy fluctuations is an interesting one. Do you not think the natural demand/supply swings built into the game are 'big' enough? I think single or low number of sell point maps do a better job of it as if you only farm one crop the price suppresses, whereas if there's too many sell points you just move on to the next one. I'm going to put some more thought into this point. Thanks

I think you're right, and I think the budget situation will probably stop anyone from considering hoarding machinery lol

I have indeed set it down that no field work can be done after 8pm. Great minds think alike! :)

Thanks again for taking the time to reply

@kahfs Ultimately it's a video game and while I'm interested in the challenge presented by additional rules, it's difficult to tie any values to the 'real world' as the real world is kind of a big place and prices vary considerably. That's my thoughts anyway.
Stay at home Dad, turned terrible streamer :)

https://www.twitch.tv/emmiran
TZ441

Post by TZ441 »

The economy built into the game ive notice doesnt change enough. the idea between swithching between the eco settings is to simulate really good yeara, really bad years and average years. Thus way it really simulates market crashes and things. I know in the cattle buisness that one year we qent from makeing 1300$ a calf at sale to the next year barley making 600$ on the calf that wieghs the same. All in the span of 2 years.
FS19 on PC
W1der

Post by W1der »

Here is another factor you can play with (if you are on PC) ...

In the farm.xml within your savegame folder the first line contains this code.

Code: Select all

<farm farmId="1" name="My farm" color="1" loan="5950000.000000" money="54271.312500" loanAnnualInterestRate="600.000000">
The loanAnnualInterestRate="600.000000" is different between the difficult levels ... but still rather low (I think it is 1,2 or 300.000000 originally) .
You could set this to a higher value by just changing the first number to give yourself a bit of a challenge!

I do this when I am granted a bigger loan than the base game is allowing me ... :coolnew:
Done by adding the same amount of funds to the "loan" and the "money" ... :biggrin2:
This way I get a faster starting progress without really cheating ... my goal will be to pay my loan back and make an additional 10 000 000.

A lot of the extra funds I borrowed has been put in to landscaping, to create the look of the farm I want, so not really helping me to make any "fast money" ... :this:
[Win11] Intel Core i9-13900F Tray 5.6GHz / MSI RTX4090 24GB GDDR6 / 2x16GB 5600MHz DDR5
TZ441

Post by TZ441 »

Drmattymd wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 6:35 pm Another issue is the time constraints. Farmers do the work when they can or have to. Often this means late into the night or sometimes very early in the morning. So limiting the working hours is not very realistic IMO
Depends on what they are doing, moisture is higher at night so if what they are doing depends on the moisture then alot of jobs cant be doen like harvesting, spraying, cutting hay, raking hay, and bailing alos.
FS19 on PC
Alcarin75

Post by Alcarin75 »

Emmiran wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 11:07 am Hello all.

I've been looking for a bit of a challenge with Farming Simulator. I've come up with this set for myself. Firstly, credit to Virtual Farmer and his awesome community for coming up with the basis of this ruleset. I don't claim to be originator, but I've just expanded to my own thoughts. I'm going to post them here : https://docs.google.com/document/d/1f8I ... sp=sharing

One of the main reasons for the extended rules is I've been looking for something to go with streaming FS19 and this is what I've settled on. I'm also hoping that by using similar phrasing and tags, if anyone else who currently streams, or has been thinking about taking it up, might be able to find a community of like minded viewers to enjoy FS19 with.

Let me know if you have any thoughts :)
Hopefully, I can relive this post. It is a good idea.

The speed with which you work with the machines also adds realism to the game.

Real speeds of sowing, harvesting, plowing, fertilization, etc.

I use them and I am always looking for how to adjust. I never drive tractors at more than 10 km / h on jobs.

My limitation is that I am a PS4 player
I like to learn from everyone.
PS4 Player
Griffin Indiana Best Map
SimpleFarmer

Post by SimpleFarmer »

I had this idea to add realism to the game to break up the different things that need done:
Most farms specialize in something. For example, like only root crops, or a dairy farm, or trucking. Some farms might be big enough to do their own trucking, or have a few operations, but not a starting farm. The problem is that players want to do all the different things right?
To make this more real I think it would be cool to use the multiplayer function and start a few different companies. You would just have to only use it in multiplayer and just close it so noone else could join.
Each farm would specialize in whatever it does and purchase what it doesn't have from another one of the companies. The starting loans would need to be lower, otherwise the game might just be too big. This is talked above even though in real life the aggregate economy would be super large among four outfits.
The prices each company charges could be worked out on a supply/demand basis - as in what you are willing to pay/what you would be willing to sell for - from both perspectives.
It would be cool to see what companies did better and which companies couldn't make it.
I think the most important thing would be financing each piece of equipment at a time because you wouldn't get approved for a bunch of new loans up front. Also, the worse your debt to income ratio gets, the less you can borrow, ask my bank :)
As an added feature you could have larger, better off farms invest in other operations for a percentage of profits but that might be more than you want to do.
Nice topc.
Massey5713

Post by Massey5713 »

I think the shops should open at 8.00 hrs and close at 16.00 hrs. And the machinery should also have random break-downs once in a while, not related to the «repair-meter». Many repairs are unforeseen, and costingly 😝
Farming in Norway when the weather allows,
farming in FS19 when the wife allows *thumbsup*

Ps4
Crazof

Post by Crazof »

want some reality, come by the house and stack up some of the fire wood I have cut and split down back. I have a JD 4510 with 460 loader, if it seems you can handle it I'll let you drive it around :)
FarmerDan72

Post by FarmerDan72 »

I like to use 25mph speed limit on trucks, and 15mph speed limit on tractors. No passing with tractors.
PS4
YrustY

Post by YrustY »

SimpleFarmer wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 12:25 am I had this idea to add realism to the game to break up the different things that need done:
Most farms specialize in something. For example, like only root crops, or a dairy farm, or trucking. Some farms might be big enough to do their own trucking, or have a few operations, but not a starting farm. The problem is that players want to do all the different things right?
To make this more real I think it would be cool to use the multiplayer function and start a few different companies. You would just have to only use it in multiplayer and just close it so noone else could join.
Each farm would specialize in whatever it does and purchase what it doesn't have from another one of the companies. The starting loans would need to be lower, otherwise the game might just be too big. This is talked above even though in real life the aggregate economy would be super large among four outfits.
The prices each company charges could be worked out on a supply/demand basis - as in what you are willing to pay/what you would be willing to sell for - from both perspectives.
It would be cool to see what companies did better and which companies couldn't make it.
I think the most important thing would be financing each piece of equipment at a time because you wouldn't get approved for a bunch of new loans up front. Also, the worse your debt to income ratio gets, the less you can borrow, ask my bank :)
As an added feature you could have larger, better off farms invest in other operations for a percentage of profits but that might be more than you want to do.
Nice topc.
This is a very interesting idea and you went into great detail but can you provide an example for how you would set up a multiplayer/multi-company game. All i can think of is a dairy farm with the other businesses being a silage company, a straw company and a hay company. Also would this concept work with seasons?
Last edited by YrustY on Mon Jan 31, 2022 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Farming from the comfort of my couch
PS4 Player
SimpleFarmer

Post by SimpleFarmer »

YrustY wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 1:27 am
SimpleFarmer wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 12:25 am
This is a very interesting idea and you went into great detail but can you provide an example for how you would set up a multiplayer/multi-company game. All i can think of is a dairy farm with the other businesses being a silage company, a straw company and a hay company. Also would this concept work with seasons?
I tried it last night and there is one issue: you can't transfer money between farms. Yes you could do the whole cheat in where you need it to go and out where you spend it, but I think that would be time consuming and annoying - unless you did it once/year or something. I'm not really sure how to figure this out, maybe someone else on here would know.

How you would set it up is as simple as starting a new multiplayer savegame and setting a password so noone else would join. Then create a few farms for the different facilities you would start, and name them accordingly. Yo ucould switch between the farms and do whatever it is that they were for.

I think I would have as many types as I was interested in doing, but not having any one do more than I thought realistic. Examples might be Dairy, beef, combine-type harvesting, root crops, and logging. There's no farm that would do all of these, but as a player you still would like to do them and still be as realistic as possible.
FarmerDan72

Post by FarmerDan72 »

This sounds like a cool idea. When you say create a few farms, does that mean you can place multiple farmhouses in multiplayer?
PS4