FINE TUNED STEERING for CONSOLE Holding Bumper

Cheesemass

FINE TUNED STEERING for CONSOLE Holding Bumper

Post by Cheesemass »

Would be a welcome addition to the controller mapping. Aside from greater interface immersion and the fun associated with it, the pedal and wheel guys only really have one major gameplay aspect over all the console players - and that's the ability to make steering adjustments like you haven't been drinking 30 cups of coffee over the past 30 hours.

In other words, drawing from the controller mapping on a game like say Elite Dangerous, which allows you to do some really cool axis mod thrust vectoring - maybe, could it not be quite simple to add in the ability for a fine tuned steering mode whilst holding down a bumper button on the console controller?

I'm talking about changing the 50% steering reduction sensitivity I'm running now, which on full tilt runs probably 360 degrees per second, to the addition of holding down a bumper instigating fine steering mode which would have far left or right steer turn something like ten degrees per second.

It would add the element of realistic driving, making it much easier to stay on the road realistically and take away from the crack cornering we all struggle with to this day. But also, and most importantly for the biggest OCD farmers in the bunch, it would allow us to farm within 0-.3 degrees of dead center without tweeking our left thumbs constantly like we're all succumbing to some form of voluntarily electro shock treatment - no judgement, I've been on the ward myself a number of times.

In summary - support your local congressional bid for the consortium of more realistic driving controls and second this message with a vote of FULL CONFIDENCE that this is well within Giants ability to implement easily and quickly.

Thank you,

And God Bless America. (EU and Brexit guys an gals aint so bad either)

The Cheese
Cheesemass

Re: FINE TUNED STEERING for CONSOLE Holding Bumper

Post by Cheesemass »

This is the best gameplay function suggestion I have heard on the forums in a long time...

Uh oh - it's my suggestion...

Sorry, couldn't resist.
Cheesemass

Post by Cheesemass »

Okay, so the mechanics of my physics might be highly questionable, but for those who've gotten hung up there - let me say the concept is sound and put it another way:

If it takes a hard right or left turn a full second to invoke a full steer, why not also have a modifier button such as the bumper, or pushing in the left stick - to make that full turn take 2x as long, or even 3x.
Tylercheesey1986

Post by Tylercheesey1986 »

I totally agree, a bumper button to initiate a slower steering sensetivity would be awesome, Also I think a bumper button to initiate individual wheel braking would be a great addition
Aussie who loves himself a 7790 JD cotton picker, 100ac was most i got off in one day. (22.5hrs)
Currently a 300 ac irrigated beef farmer with Hereford Angus x.
50-120 head.
Gear-MF i148, 7 disc offset plow, fert/seed broadcaster, harrow bars.
Only crop for improving grazing capacity so don't need much.
Aussie farmer who thinks FS 19 rulz :gamer:
Xbox gamer tag- TopCheesey420
W1der

Post by W1der »

I am on PC and usually I am using a steering wheel, twin joystick and twin gear stick setup ...

Recently I removed all my controllers and let the game rest for a week or two and when I came back to the game I gave it a try using only my XB1 elite controller.
I really feel your pain!

With the controller I have I get additional settings for sensitivity on the sticks but even setting these really soft (with some extra "wiggle room" around the center and more "Input" towards the edges) it´s really hard to get a smooth drive as it is still way to sensitive.

After 10-20 hours of this I just gave up and got my steering wheel back up and running to be able to enjoy the game!
But to be honest, even using a steering wheel I need external settings to tune things down, to get a more "relaxed" stering wheel, in addition to in game modded scripts for lower acceleration and such to be able to handle my vehicles the way I want them to behave!

Hopefully in the future GIANTS will be able to pay some more attention to this and give us more options for "fine tuning"!
[Win11] Intel Core i9-13900F Tray 5.6GHz / MSI RTX4090 24GB GDDR6 / 2x16GB 5600MHz DDR5
Tomazius96

Post by Tomazius96 »

Very good suggestion. I am playing FS with Xbox controller on PC and its pain in the ass (Still a bit better than steering with keyboard tho). I just cant get the sensitivity right. These ingame options of sensitivity are so minor that they affect the steering very little. Manouvering at low speeds its quite good for me, but when you drive at full speed on the road, you just flick a pad a bit and you already in the ditch near the road. Specially when driving cars or trucks, its just awful. Since this is a SIMULATOR, we should have more room to tweek our steering and other inputs. But I am affraid that wont happen, since FS franchise is more and more focusing on arcade aspects of the game, which is quite frankly very sad and its killing the game.
Balu_

Post by Balu_ »

Well, I know i'm a bit late to the topic, but have you tried the "Realistic Steering" mod? If you are on PC, that would give you what you want more or less. You can configure the steering speed in relation to the vehicle speed, which adds a sort of stiffness to the wheel and you can en/disable the mod with one button.
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Would lead to many keybind conflicts. Would have to be on a toggle which would then void any implement/tractor that uses number+stick
redglasses

Post by redglasses »

I personally would not use this, I can see how some would find it useful. But lots of loader operations require the use of a bumper and steering at the same time, this would be especially detrimental to the skid steer.
Playing Lincoln Creek on PC
Upload your screenshots here: IMG server
My Discord
Remember there is no need to spread your manure around the forums :wink3:
Jack of all trades, master of the skid steer
blue_painted

Post by blue_painted »

I use XBox controllers on PC and I've learned "gentle left thumb" and tweaked the controller game options ... but probably replacing the cheap clone controller for a real one was the real answer for me. Do you get the controller settings in the console version?

(PS: Please don't mention Brexit -- we look stupid enough without being reminded of it)
Playing new "Beest" Intel i7-11700F with GeForce GTX 3060 and XBOX controller
also £600 laptop - AMD Ryzen 5600H with GeForce GTX 3050 XBOX controller

Dairydeere's A Guide to Finding Farming Simulator Mods - Please give this a read and help spread awareness for respectful mod downloads
1992Tadej1992

Post by 1992Tadej1992 »

blue_painted

Post by blue_painted »

1992Tadej1992 wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 11:27 am We already have that mod:

https://www.farming-simulator.com/mod.p ... tle=fs2019
But not on console.
Playing new "Beest" Intel i7-11700F with GeForce GTX 3060 and XBOX controller
also £600 laptop - AMD Ryzen 5600H with GeForce GTX 3050 XBOX controller

Dairydeere's A Guide to Finding Farming Simulator Mods - Please give this a read and help spread awareness for respectful mod downloads