Is FS19 missing something?

Jlf85

Re: Is FS19 missing something?

Post by Jlf85 »

Missing sounds and features on vehicles... The horns from Giants were actually unique to the vehicle (really noticeable on Big Buds), the physics actually worked (I had a 500hp tractor losing grip with a baler on the back--flat ground), the attention to detail in the last game was far better.. I feel like we got lost in the excitement of placeables, John Deere fever etc and the details were missed.

In the same vein... are we going to get another update w/ bug fixes? Giants updates their product far less than others IMO.
Sinclaircool

Post by Sinclaircool »

chedly_farms wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 1:03 pm The more I play FS19, the more I feel that it's just missing something that FS17 had. The new lighting system is nice, and the detail in graphics at close range is improved. I've got close to 300 hours into Marwell now, which is the more than I had on any 17 map, and I do have fun playing, but the more I play, the stronger the urge is to go back and play on FS17. And I'm trying to figure out why that is.
Yes it is new mods
Don't leak mods
chedly_farms

Post by chedly_farms »

^do people actually read threads and responses?
Currently Playing on XBoxOne : Elm Creek

-----> And "Thank You Modders" for your contributions <----
Old-an-Slow

Post by Old-an-Slow »

chedly_farms wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:27 pm It doesn't have to do with mods or seasons. I'm a visual guy, and I feel with as far as the graphics have come, we lost something. As someone mentioned above, 17 has a "home" feeling.
I completely agree. For the longest time I didn't know what was off with the presentation, why I wasn't feeling FS19 when I first started playing. Recently I've come to a conclusion: It's the lighting in the game that's causing a problem for me.

The lighting seems like it suffers from "crushed" blacks, which means all the detail gets lost as grey and black colors have all the light removed from them, making the details within shadows disappear. That's why on a perfectly sunny day in game, I can't tell the brand of tractor after the worker makes a turn and I'm looking at the shade side. There are also times when, if I look from something bright to something dark too quickly, I can catch the game struggling to keep up with contrast adjustments. It happens often and is always jarring. At least to my eyes.

Don't get me wrong, there are times when FS19 looks great too. It's a reason I play and deal with the lighting. Though after spending a ton of time I think the overall presentation is too dim, with crushed blacks, and could really use an update.
Farming on PS5
blue_painted

Post by blue_painted »

@Old-and-slow: That's the opposite of what I'm seeing! I get white-out on shiny edges, where it seems that the graphics engine is trying to brighten the pixels but ends up a pure white - at medium distances it makes the vehicles look iced ("frosted" in US terms) like a cake. I've tried adjusting the advanced graphics settings but as yet, not found a cure.
Playing new "Beest" Intel i7-11700F with GeForce GTX 3060 and XBOX controller
also £600 laptop - AMD Ryzen 5600H with GeForce GTX 3050 XBOX controller

Dairydeere's A Guide to Finding Farming Simulator Mods - Please give this a read and help spread awareness for respectful mod downloads
Tomazius96

Post by Tomazius96 »

blue_painted wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:36 am @Old-and-slow: That's the opposite of what I'm seeing! I get white-out on shiny edges, where it seems that the graphics engine is trying to brighten the pixels but ends up a pure white - at medium distances it makes the vehicles look iced ("frosted" in US terms) like a cake. I've tried adjusting the advanced graphics settings but as yet, not found a cure.
Yes same with me. All the white and chrome parts on vechiles seem to be showing to much. They somehow glow like they are some kind of magic mirror.
I might try to use some shader mod in the future if that helps.
FarmBoss

Post by FarmBoss »

I want to say I like the new contract screen, and the new method of buying property.
But, I miss driving to a specific property to get a mission and to purchase. This actually made me feel like there was a community of farmers.
It would have been nice to have both ways incorporated into the game, a contract menu, and visit a property, and let players choose.
I also haven't been able to find or build a farm that felt like it was my home. In the past, my favorite maps for that "home" feeling have been Goldcrest Valley and Westbridge Hills.
If I buy 21, it won't be until it has time to establish itself. Bugs will need to be ironed out first, I don't want to pay to test. I'll also be waiting for a build up of mods.
Coldlandlord

Post by Coldlandlord »

I have been playing both fs17 and fs19 a lot recently and i have to say, despite persistence, I just don't like the new game, even with mods that i thought were game breakers and would make the game great. I just can't get on with the sounds and the physics. I hate how everything sounds like its got a centrifugal clutch. Its jerky at low speeds, you get no sense that the engine is under load which you do in fs17, I cant really see much graphical improvement, if anything it looks more cartoon like than fs17.
I guess it still needs time for more mods to come along. Seasons is going to be amazing but i just don't think its going to make a world of difference to how i feel about the game in general. What is the point in buying a new version of something that for over half its life span is worse than the previous game and then the other half, very marginally improved at best. For me its just not worth putting time in to something that doesn't satisfy just for the sake of it being the latest version. I hope we get some dramatic changes in an update or the modders can work their magic.
chedly_farms

Post by chedly_farms »

I went back and played some FS17 on the Old Stream Farm. Engine sounds by FAR are better on 17. Lighting is where I am unsure of. I like the new dynamic lighting on 19, but I also like the toned down lighting on 17. Oh and the music on the loading screen on 17 just felt right. My two year old even looked at me and smiled. She remembered it, she used to dance to it. ModHub has a smoother feel and better interaction on 17. I think 19 is the better game, but could be a lot better if they didn't try to update things that didn't need it. The new ModHub layout and function is abysmal at best. And engine sounds at idle sound good on 19. But under load and in acceleration, 17 sounds far better.

Trumpcard54455

Post by Trumpcard54455 »

chedly_farms wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:27 pm
OlavEmil wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 1:27 pm No, FS19 has everything FS17 had, plus several new features making it a more complete game than FS17 was. But as others are pointing out, you probably used mods in FS17 that aren't yet released for FS19, giving a less complete experience.
It doesn't have to do with mods or seasons. I'm a visual guy, and I feel with as far as the graphics have come, we lost something. As someone mentioned above, 17 has a "home" feeling.
I'm thinking sounds and implements. There was more emphasis on some sounds that seem a step back from 17. Train horn no longer echoes, the semi sounds muffled so the horn was very down-played. I think new maps are key. Nostalgia is great but the previously unexplored is best. It even seemed like the Fendt 1050 was massive on 17 where it barely compares to the John Deere 8 series in size on 19. ( It may have been improper size on 17)

The implements we're different maybe even easier to come by in the Consol realm. Speed difference more or less realistic. (Very high horse power should allow at least a bit faster travel with implements even if it means I need to regulate the speed to prevent bounce and missed spots. I think Case and New Holland top end max HP large tractors went 1 or 2 miles per hour faster pulling implements in spite of recommended top speed on FS15) I know I just spoke about unexplored being good but i'd also say packs like the Massey Ferguson 1980's styles really put a nice twist as well. The seeders and bailers for instance had low cost and low hp needs and could be useful on a start from scratch setting. "Driving that one old tractor Grandpa used to drive" put a neat touch on the game. Even if it means New Holland let's a Ford named tractor slip for nostalgia sake. Hell I'd entertain a steam tractor. On 17 I personally had the yearn for John Deere where on 19 it seems well always want more cause now I just want the 9RX but fear it'll just be a green Case Quadtrac with a John Deere sticker... Horses though a great addition were short changed but I think this was beta for future releases and that's why trailer capacities suffered. Think of the Sheep that was a hidden gem on 17 and now it's almost a curse 4 bales at a time. On 17 animal limit was extremely high and therefore the challenge to maintain them.
Mellek

Post by Mellek »

chedly_farms wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:32 pm And engine sounds at idle sound good on 19. But under load and in acceleration, 17 sounds far better.
Maybe this can help you a little : https://www.fs-uk.com/forum/index.php?topic=205657.0
I made this post on LS-UK for those that do not visit the German section of the Giants forum.
This sound fix has really changed the game for me and a big thank you to DerPfusher for that ! *thumbsup* , it is still not as good as FS17 and I can't get rid of the feeling that FS19 is missing something.. but at least I'm enjoying myself in FS19 now (would have otherwise given up and back to 17).
OlavEmil

Post by OlavEmil »

chedly_farms wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:27 pmIt doesn't have to do with mods or seasons. I'm a visual guy, and I feel with as far as the graphics have come, we lost something. As someone mentioned above, 17 has a "home" feeling.
I see. I don't get that at all, but each to their own. To me, FS17 graphics is grey, cold, honestly I'd say dead, compared to FS19. I actually decided to go back and play a map in 17 to get to experience seasons and MR again, both of which I miss hugely. I downloaded a nice map and the mods I wanted, started the game, immediately hated it and went back to seasonless and MR-less 19.
chedly_farms

Post by chedly_farms »

Also, when it comes to the Fendts, the old green or vintage green color is nowhere the shade that it should be. And that's a big bummer, because I prefer to run Fendt tractors in the darker green color scheme.

billy_roberts_81

Post by billy_roberts_81 »

@chedly_farms Your explanation of Fs19 missing something is exactly how I feel about it as well.

Funnily enough I was on Frontier Design's Discord this last week and "BulletBill" was explaining to someone who had asked him about why he doesn't like Fs19, and his comments were very similar to yours.

I do wonder with some people who played Fs17 and think its awful whether it depended on what map you played.

Default lighting in Fs17 wasn't amazing, but BulletBill did custom lighting for all his and Oxygendavids maps. That made a big difference for me over default Fs17.

Also a while back Oxygendavid posted pictures of Oakfield 19 with Fs17 skybox with 8K sky textures. Obviously they weren't moving, but the pictures looked so much better than default Fs19 sky.
Justintolk

Post by Justintolk »

It feels more like nostalgia than missing something, but I can see where you're coming from.