Does needs ploughing and needs lime make a difference to grass yield?

farmermas

Does needs ploughing and needs lime make a difference to grass yield?

Post by farmermas »

Hello,

Just wondering if anyone has done some testing and knows if the ploughing and lime make a difference to grass fields.

All logic says it wont, but the video gamer in me really wants to know for certain.

Also, thanks giants for the audio updates in 1.4.. FS19 is pretty good now!

Thanks for any advice.
gordon861

Re: Does needs ploughing and needs lime make a difference to grass yield?

Post by gordon861 »

Not actually tested it but personally I try to plow and lime my grass fields and take the opportunity to increase the field sizes to the max so more of the grass can be fertilised in future.
--------------
Hey Giants, when are you going to pull your head out of your backsides and actually talk to us?
cvKurt

Post by cvKurt »

My understanding, which could be quite wrong, is that removing "needs ploughing" will increase yield but liming is not necessary even when the field says "needs lime" (for grass only).
asyvan

Post by asyvan »

If you remove the "needs ploughing" and "needs lime" states before you drill grass, they will not come back. You also only need one pass of fertilizer between harvests since it keeps the first pass.
//Jens Ejvinsson
Farming History: FS11, FS13, FS15, FS17, FS19 (Steam)
Logitech G29, Logitech/Saitek Sidepanel, Logitech F710 Wireless gamepad
PC Gamer - "The Silent Beast" i7-7700K @ 5Ghz, GTX 1070 @ 2.1GHz

Case IH Puma CVX With Tracks
Väderstad Rapid A600-800S Seed Drill
Tutorial compilation for FS19 - list of all my How To guides
Deutz man 555

Post by Deutz man 555 »

I tend to only take 3 cuts of grass maby 4 and then plant oil seed rape. Then replant grass after i have noticed tho that i get 1 less bale off the field every cut untill replanted. Might just be me.
GothicKing13

Post by GothicKing13 »

I've never actually tested to see. I've never been able to plant grass on a field requiring plow and lime. Needs Plow / Needs Lime > The field saying that for the rest of eternity, just bothers my OCD to much. I automatically run the plow and lime. :lol:
GOTHICKING13 With every deed, you are sowing a seed. Though the harvest, you may not see.
farmermas

Post by farmermas »

asyvan wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 2:41 pm If you remove the "needs ploughing" and "needs lime" states before you drill grass, they will not come back. You also only need one pass of fertilizer between harvests since it keeps the first pass.
Thanks for all your responses and ideas.

I think this comment solves then problem. Do it once to clear the field and not think about it again. Awesome!
TurboJ

Post by TurboJ »

Now that there should be a lot more information about how the game works, do we know already if plowing and lime actually affect grass yields? And if yes, do these actions need renewal afterwards like they do with arable crops?

Playing without Seasons.
FarmCatJenkins

Post by FarmCatJenkins »

Very little if any. I believe lime doesn't affect it at all. And you won't need to plow or lime after the initial time with grass because it regrows off the same texture. I personally do it because I hate seeing it on my map.
Farmer since birth. Simulated since ‘15

Xbox: Hodge A Palooza
Steam: FarmCat Jenkins
Farmer Foley

Post by Farmer Foley »

I could be wrong but Im sure Mr Sealyp did a video and came to the conclusion it made no difference except for the fertilising..but ill stand corrected if there has been an update to the game since etc..Other youtubers are available..lol
You keep a Troshin :hi:
Stone75

Post by Stone75 »

Does it matter if it is painted grass or grown grass. I'm sure i read somewhere if it is sown grass then you get more treatment effects than painted grass. Certainly effects REA if you use it. Much harder to pull items on sown grass.
Urinal2001

Post by Urinal2001 »

Farmer Foley wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 2:32 pm I could be wrong but Im sure Mr Sealyp did a video and came to the conclusion it made no difference except for the fertilising..but ill stand corrected if there has been an update to the game since etc..Other youtubers are available..lol
Came here to say exactly this, that i had seen his video testing it.

You can WATCH IT HERE.

However what I seem to remember is that the outcome is that it DOES make a difference, but that the time taken to do those tasks negates the larger yield; you actually get more grass over a given period by NOT fertilising and therefore fitting in more mowing time.
FarmCatJenkins

Post by FarmCatJenkins »

Stone75 wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 4:51 pm Does it matter if it is painted grass or grown grass. I'm sure i read somewhere if it is sown grass then you get more treatment effects than painted grass. Certainly effects REA if you use it. Much harder to pull items on sown grass.
Hey welcome to the forums. Painted grass can not be fertilized. Only sown grass, so you get a higher yield from planted grass.
Farmer since birth. Simulated since ‘15

Xbox: Hodge A Palooza
Steam: FarmCat Jenkins
Stone75

Post by Stone75 »

FarmCatJenkins wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 7:42 pm
Stone75 wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 4:51 pm Does it matter if it is painted grass or grown grass. I'm sure i read somewhere if it is sown grass then you get more treatment effects than painted grass. Certainly effects REA if you use it. Much harder to pull items on sown grass.
Hey welcome to the forums. Painted grass can not be fertilized. Only sown grass, so you get a higher yield from planted grass.
Thanks for the info and the welcome.
Illinois Farmer

Post by Illinois Farmer »

Urinal2001 wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 7:37 pm Came here to say exactly this, that i had seen his video testing it.

You can WATCH IT HERE.

However what I seem to remember is that the outcome is that it DOES make a difference, but that the time taken to do those tasks negates the larger yield; you actually get more grass over a given period by NOT fertilising and therefore fitting in more mowing time.
According to sealyp, in that video, it does not make a difference. I do just because I don't like seeing needs plowing or needs lime on the menu screen. You only have to do it once.
1300 acre farm, finish out just about 10,000 hogs a year, 200 cattle, and xbox one and pc user.