Building your own farm VS maps

AndyPandy

Building your own farm VS maps

Post by AndyPandy »

As the title says, I often find the placement system and mod maps opposing each other. I apologize if this has been discussed in length before but are there anyone else than me who find this to be a problem? Most of the british maps are really beautiful but they have solid hedges and fences all over the place, which is fine in itself but they cannot be removed. And other maps have large areas spread all over where terrain cannot be modified (warning message pops up while trying to place something) often in the middle of a field. Or maybe I am doing something wrong?
I am on PS4 btw.
Are there any map makers around the forum who could chip in with some thoughts?
Really looking forward to Washo Nevada cause I know AlienJim has freedom of building your own farm as a priority 😊
Riven326

Re: Building your own farm VS maps

Post by Riven326 »

In my experience it was about finding the right map and right piece of land. Start by choosing a map. I recommend Pacific Northwest for a North American style map. European maps are a dime a dozen. Install a few and just look at the map and see visit the spots that you feel have potential.

As far as placement goes, it's an ongoing issue with the game and may or may not be fixed in the future. However, that doesn't mean you can't build a nice farm. It just means you have to work within the limitations of the game.

I recommend adjusting placement height of objects if it shows it won't work in the middle of a field. Height is usually the issue. Move the camera around as well. Sometimes that is enough to give you the green instead of the red.
SJ_Sathanas

Post by SJ_Sathanas »

Well I'm not a map maker but it's interesting to compare these tailored maps to the more "clean canvas" maps. I've decided I'm not really bothering with placeables anymore as I find it frustrating on console and they never look as good as yards out together by map makers. I could never replicate one of the Meadow Grove yards using placeables.
It's surprising how different the game feels on such different maps. Meadow Grove and Peterville feel completely different to Ravenport or Felsbrunn for example.
BreadedVirus

Post by BreadedVirus »

I’ll stick to the maps like Manor Farm, Oakfield and the like. Realistic and play very well.
the big print giveth the small print taketh
TZ441

Post by TZ441 »

I love the build your own farm option. Im super picky about my farm setuo because i like all my yards to flow a certain way. I think some maps where you couldnt get rid of the buildings even when starting of farm manager really killed some maps for me like Oakfield and Sliwno just to name some. Also not being able to place objects in areas is because there are some kinks to be worked out of the system yet so its not all on the map makers in that area.
FS15, FS17, FS19 all on Xbox.
FS19 on PC
4th Generation Cattle rancher in South Dakota.
je11yfish15

Post by je11yfish15 »

I just started a 2nd farm on Oakfield and was concerned with not building my own farm having only played on ravenport, but I'm loving Oakfield its beautiful, such a good representation of English country side that all concerns are gone. Plus I'm playing this one on slow growth and tough economy.
Xbox one
I should be racing not farming
IceUul

Post by IceUul »

Solution to this.
1. Get the PC
2. Download Giants Editor
3. Open the map you like to modify
4. Select objects you do not like
5. Hit Delete
6. Hit Save

Bot for consoles, not many choices you cant ask someone else to modify the map also, only the original author. Also consoles does not have the place anywhere mod, which let
you basically build the farm you like.
BigC92

Post by BigC92 »

Riven326 wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 3:59 pm In my experience it was about finding the right map and right piece of land. Start by choosing a map. I recommend Pacific Northwest for a North American style map. European maps are a dime a dozen. Install a few and just look at the map and see visit the spots that you feel have potential.

As far as placement goes, it's an ongoing issue with the game and may or may not be fixed in the future. However, that doesn't mean you can't build a nice farm. It just means you have to work within the limitations of the game.

I recommend adjusting placement height of objects if it shows it won't work in the middle of a field. Height is usually the issue. Move the camera around as well. Sometimes that is enough to give you the green instead of the red.
You also have to look at what your working with and imagine how to build your farm, sheds and whatnot, i like what you put.
AndyPandy

Post by AndyPandy »

Riven326 wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 3:59 pm In my experience it was about finding the right map and right piece of land. Start by choosing a map. I recommend Pacific Northwest for a North American style map. European maps are a dime a dozen. Install a few and just look at the map and see visit the spots that you feel have potential.
I actually went back to Pacific NW and gave it another try, and you're right it goes well with placing stuff.
I learnt a weird little trick that works sometimes when red is all you get.. place a building as close to the red area as possible, and sometimes, the ground paint around that building makes part of the red turn into a green area. And then you can delete the building and you're left with more green light. Such a hazzle tho lol.

IceUul wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:14 am Solution to this.
1. Get the PC
2. Download Giants Editor
3. Open the map you like to modify
4. Select objects you do not like
5. Hit Delete
6. Hit Save

Bot for consoles, not many choices you cant ask someone else to modify the map also, only the original author. Also consoles does not have the place anywhere mod, which let
you basically build the farm you like.
I think my old pc is ready to get replaced soon so if fs21 looks good I'm gonna be a pc player then :biggrin2:
Tylercheesey1986

Post by Tylercheesey1986 »

PNW is very placeable friendly
However on Xbox I cannot rival the detail of Oakfield ,Meadow grove or the like. But it is nice to have the possibility to edit maps on console
Aussie who loves himself a 7790 JD cotton picker, 100ac was most i got off in one day. (22.5hrs)
Currently a 300 ac irrigated beef farmer with Hereford Angus x.
50-120 head.
Gear-MF i148, 7 disc offset plow, fert/seed broadcaster, harrow bars.
Only crop for improving grazing capacity so don't need much.
Aussie farmer who thinks FS 19 rulz :gamer:
Xbox gamer tag- TopCheesey420