Small Guide on PC's

gordon861

Re: Small Guide on PC's

Post by gordon861 »

L2K Perma wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:41 pm If your budget isn't completely set, as in, you can wiggle it a bit, this may be a decent list of parts for you then; https://pcpartpicker.com/list/XtWrV7. However, if you absolutely can not go above your budget, I can edit the list a bit.
That's a really good starting point PC.

I personally wouldn't reduce the i5-9600K to a i5-9400F to save a little money. With the better CPU you will get a lot more life out of the PC and you can push the clock later when it is starting to struggle. Buy the time you grow out of the 9600K CPU you'll probably need a new motherboard anyways, at which time you just build a new PC and recycle this one onto family for general home/office work (or keep it as a spare).

If I was going to try and save a little money I might go for a GTX 1660 Super instead of the RTX 2060 Super, you aren't likely to need the RTX features at the moment and if you can live with the 1660 for a year you might be able to pick up the next series xx60/70 card next year for a decent price/performance.
--------------
Hey Giants, when are you going to pull your head out of your backsides and actually talk to us?
theking1009

Post by theking1009 »

gordon861 wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 7:16 pm
L2K Perma wrote:Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:41 pm If your budget isn't completely set, as in, you can wiggle it a bit, this may be a decent list of parts for you then; https://pcpartpicker.com/list/XtWrV7. However, if you absolutely can not go above your budget, I can edit the list a bit.
That's a really good starting point PC.

I personally wouldn't reduce the i5-9600K to a i5-9400F to save a little money. With the better CPU you will get a lot more life out of the PC and you can push the clock later when it is starting to struggle. Buy the time you grow out of the 9600K CPU you'll probably need a new motherboard anyways, at which time you just build a new PC and recycle this one onto family for general home/office work (or keep it as a spare).

If I was going to try and save a little money I might go for a GTX 1660 Super instead of the RTX 2060 Super, you aren't likely to need the RTX features at the moment and if you can live with the 1660 for a year you might be able to pick up the next series xx60/70 card next year for a decent price/performance.
Whats does GTX and RTX mean, hopefully this last me a few years and i can upgrade the CPU and Video card,and not build a new PC. :hmm:
gordon861

Post by gordon861 »

theking1009 wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 4:43 am Whats does GTX and RTX mean, hopefully this last me a few years and i can upgrade the CPU and Video card,and not build a new PC. :hmm:
About a year ago Nvidia released a new range of cards, Turing, with ray tracing chips in them, these are the RTX cards. The 2060 has less of them than the 2080 cards. Currently few games use ray tracing.

Six months later they release more Turing based cards but without the ray tracing chips, these use the old GTX name. The 'Super' cards are just updates on the slightly older non-super cards.

Here is a video talking about the confusing Nvidia line-up, but if you ignore the words and scroll forward to the benchmarks you'll see that the 1660 Super should get 60fps in most games at 1080 screen res. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IT0bBH5GWB0

The reason I say spend the extra on a CPU that'll give you a little more headroom now (the 'K' chips can be overclocked) is that when you do decide to upgrade further it's normally better to replace the graphics card. If you upgrade the CPU you will be left with a spare CPU that is unusable without buying a new motherboard and RAM, so it's often better to spend a little more at the start and stick with what you have until there is a big jump in performance which will likely require a new motherboard and RAM anyways, hence just build a new PC.

But with graphics cards, because they all (currently at least) use the same slots you can just swap them out without replacing anything else on the PC (unless you get a low power power supply early on). It also means that when you do outgrow the CPU/motherboard/memory you can reuse the graphics card until a better value/spec version is available.

For example my previous PC was an i5-2500k, bought in 2011 and only replaced in 2018 with an i7-8700k. In that time I'd replaced the graphics card a couple of times. When I built the new PC I used the last graphics card to hold me over until the new generation of cards was released before replacing it. When I got a new card the old one went back into the old PC and I have a fully functional spare PC that can be used as a server or general use office PC.

This may only hold up for Intel CPUs as AMD seem to try and use the same sockets for a wider range of CPUs, but I don't know AMD CPUs. I would rather pay a bit extra and have a CPU that'll not need to be upgraded. But this is totally personal experience but it feels like each AMD release is nearly as good as the previous gen Intel but cheaper.
--------------
Hey Giants, when are you going to pull your head out of your backsides and actually talk to us?
theking1009

Post by theking1009 »

I don't a lot about AMD either, Thanks for the info, slowly getting to know my way around building a PC gaming.
Here’s what i’m probably go for https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/ with Memory express price beat it comes to $1179.46, any thoughts.
Guil

Post by Guil »

That's blank, at the bottom of the list there should be a button saying share this build or similar, copy and paste that link.
theking1009

Post by theking1009 »

https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/r4cV7T Hope this works for you, not sure why the other link was blank, worked for me
gordon861

Post by gordon861 »

theking1009 wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 7:55 pm https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/r4cV7T Hope this works for you, not sure why the other link was blank, worked for me
Looks good, a couple of suggestions though:

Replace - Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
With - Western Digital Black NVMe 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive
Extra $15
Will make a tidier PC as the drive sits right on the motherboard.

Repalce - Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 3.5" 7200RPM
With - Western Digital Blue 2 TB 3.5" 5400RPM
Extra $20
You can never have enough storage and the drive speed difference will probably not be noticed.
--------------
Guil

Post by Guil »

theking1009 wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 7:55 pm https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/r4cV7T Hope this works for you, not sure why the other link was blank, worked for me
Just to expand on this, the reason the last link worked for you was because of cookies stored on your pc, the first link was just a generic one so if I had created a list and then clicked that link, it would display the parts that I had added to a list.
theking1009

Post by theking1009 »

This is what I when with https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/L2GTCL A little over budget but a friend is helping out , lucky me. Can’t wait for the parts to come,
Guil

Post by Guil »

Very good, have fun building it and just take your time, I can't remember what method I used when putting thermal paste on the cpu but it will be fine as long as temps don't rise much when in use.
theking1009

Post by theking1009 »

Damm i’m more excited than a kid at Christmas, i’ve never played a game at very high settings and 60+ FPS , more at low settings and 10 to 30 FPS.
Daviss42

Post by Daviss42 »

theking1009 wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 3:54 pm Damm i’m more excited than a kid at Christmas, i’ve never played a game at very high settings and 60+ FPS , more at low settings and 10 to 30 FPS.
Our specs are pretty much the same bar your slightly better CPU and my slightly better GPU but you'll have plenty of fun setting it all up and loading fs19 for the first time and being able to select those high quality settings! Good luck!

P.s we also have the same case and its very good in terms of cooling and looks!
System - i7-10700k | RTX 3080 | 32GB 4000mhz | 2TB NVME

Console - Xbox Series X
Super T Agriculture

Post by Super T Agriculture »

Finally bit the bullet and bought myself an early xmas present. The last time I had a PC capable of playing games it was one I built myself and booted it up with Win 98 and although that lasted me around 7 years with a couple of small upgrades it's safe to say I've been out of the loop as far as PC's are concerned so I opted for a pre built one this time around. I know it's cost me far more than the parts themselves would have done but its saved me a ton of work and research haha.

My specs...

CPU and Memory:

Intel Core i59400 processor.
Hex core processor.
Processor speed 2.9GHz with a burst speed of 4.1GHz.
8GB RAM DDR4.
Hard drive:

1TB HDD storage.
256GB SSD storage.
Hard drive speed 7200RPM.
Graphics:

Dedicated graphics.
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 with 4GB memory.

I've spent the last 24 hours (including work and some sleep) mucking about with Minecraft but I should be on to FS19 by next weekend. :thumbsup:
theking1009

Post by theking1009 »

Guys just a update, got it up and running, sweet setup , do you guys just pick very high setting in the game , or do you customize the settings and what.
L2K Perma

Post by L2K Perma »

theking1009 wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 10:20 pm Guys just a update, got it up and running, sweet setup , do you guys just pick very high setting in the game , or do you customize the settings and what.
It depends really. I have certain games that I just use the ultra preset on, but then there are a couple where, I do that but then have to go in and make some small changes to the settings to keep the average fps to 60 or above. On FS though, I have everything completely maxed and then later on i decided to make some ini edits to further increase the graphical settings, though it definitely hit in the fps department.
FS13 - Xbox 360
FS15 - Xbox 360/Xbox One
FS17 - Xbox One
FS19 - PC

PC specs: i5-8600k, M22 Kraken AIO cooler, 16GB ddr4 ram, RTX 2070 Super, 256 GB SSD, 1 TB HDD