Happy Fourth of July

Exfarmer89

Happy Fourth of July

Post by Exfarmer89 »

Happy Fourth of July to all American farmers, and everyone else who may celebrate today.
Joepipefitter

Re: Happy Fourth of July

Post by Joepipefitter »

Happy Fourth of July from one of your northern neighbours.
Waldox

Post by Waldox »

Exfarmer89 wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 3:04 pm Happy Fourth of July to all American farmers, and everyone else who may celebrate today.
Thank you 🇺🇸❤️🦅

Happy 4th of July! America’s Birthday 🇺🇸
FS19- PS4 Pro
American Farming
YoloDonkey

Post by YoloDonkey »

All good & Happy 4th of July to our USA forum participants
Sinclaircool

Post by Sinclaircool »

Happy 4th of July from across the pond happy murica freedom
Don't leak mods
Farmer Foley

Post by Farmer Foley »

Yeah, Happy Fourth of July guys and gals..
You keep a Troshin :hi:
Walrusman02

Post by Walrusman02 »

Happy fourth!

Wonder what the British think of this day?
2004 Sierra 1500 SLE 4x4
5.3 vortec w/turbo
Gimli54

Post by Gimli54 »

Happy fourth, may the fourth be with us all
EnglishGent

Post by EnglishGent »

Walrusman02 wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 7:47 pm Happy fourth!

Actually... not a lot... No disrespect intended of course, but it doesn't really come up. We may see some news coverage of your President if he's done something specific (but that would be on our news on the 5th). We have adopted some other notable dates from the American calendar but those tend to have other origins dating further back in time.

I don't know a lot of history but I do like a google, and although history is said to be written by the victor, I think it can also be written by others with their own agenda, so maybe this is wrong, but America wouldn't exist if it wasn't for the French! The French provided Naval forces capable of rivaling the English Navy of the day.

More research - England (us) decided we would impose rule on lots of the world. The British Empire seems more like an opportunity to take advantage of whatever another place had. Unfortunately others (France) decided they wanted control of places too. People sided with us, or France, and that lead to a Global conflict that spanned Europe, America, Africa, South Asia and the Philippines. Has History about WW1 been wrong by a few hundred years? That was the 7 year war between 1756 and 1763.

More research - I don't blame you (America) for wanting independence. in 1750, a lot of southern America (and Florida) was run by Spain. The East coast area was English, A lot of the middle was French and the Hudson Bay and Newfoundland was 'ceded by France to England by the treaty of Utrecht in 1713 (No idea what that is).

A simplified reason for the American war of Independence is money.. We, the English, wanted you, the Americans, to pay for the 7 year war by raising taxes in 1765. Everything from legal documents (to anger the lawyers) and even playing cards (angered the Sailors) were taxed. These weren't popular so they were changed to a different set of taxes in 1767.

In 1770, a British soldier was harassed by Boston locals, and eventually, other English soldiers came to his aid and violence broke out with sticks and other projectiles, the soldiers responded by opening fire on the crowd. (History repeats itself - google Bloody Sunday, 30 January 1972).

In 1773, a cargo of taxed tea was tipped into the sea.. I have never understood that.. I've just read a bit about it and I still don't get it.. The intention was to allow the East India Company to shift its excess stock, without selling it cheaper to English people. Previously, by a complex arrangement it was sold in America by resellers who paid a tax on the taxes in England, but Dutch tea was smuggled into America for less money. But, England didn't like that, so having already passed a law to ban all tea not from England, allowed the EIC to ship it direct, and sell it cheaper than the cost of the smuggled Dutch Tea? However, there was still a tax on it, which the Americans didn't like...

In 1774, the English decided to punish Boston by closing the port, aiming to stop all trade until the cost of the destroyed Tea was paid. Interestingly, 4 New York merchants offered to pay the sum, but were not allowed? So simply getting the cash wasn't the main aim of the port stoppage.

The actual American War of Independence, or American Revolutionary War started on the 19th of April 1975, but ended in the Treaty of Paris on the 3rd of September 1783, where various things were agreed and England hoped to have increased trading opportunity. So basically back to money again.

In English war history, we tend to note the dates whereby a war started and ended, but I suppose the founding of a country is bigger than the battles that took place around it. It's a pity that those battles have occurred and still goes on as it still seems that no one learns the lessons of the past... either that or they seem totally sure that they can do things differently.

Anyway, Happy Fourth of July.
redglasses

Post by redglasses »

Didn’t know this turned into a history lesson but ok :lol:
Playing Lincoln Creek on PC
Upload your screenshots here: IMG server
My Discord
Remember there is no need to spread your manure around the forums :wink3:
Jack of all trades, master of the skid steer
EnglishGent

Post by EnglishGent »

EnglishGent wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 11:22 pm
The actual American War of Independence, or American Revolutionary War started on the 19th of April 1975, but ended in the Treaty of Paris on the 3rd of September 1783, where various things were agreed and England hoped to have increased trading opportunity. So basically back to money again.
hhmm.. always re-read a post at least once before submitting.. 19th of April 1975 should of course be 1775 :blushnew:
Walrusman02

Post by Walrusman02 »

Actually... not a lot... No disrespect intended of course, but it doesn't really come up. We may see some news coverage of your President if he's done something specific (but that would be on our news on the 5th). We have adopted some other notable dates from the American calendar but those tend to have other origins dating further back in time.

I don't know a lot of history but I do like a google, and although history is said to be written by the victor, I think it can also be written by others with their own agenda, so maybe this is wrong, but America wouldn't exist if it wasn't for the French! The French provided Naval forces capable of rivaling the English Navy of the day.

More research - England (us) decided we would impose rule on lots of the world. The British Empire seems more like an opportunity to take advantage of whatever another place had. Unfortunately others (France) decided they wanted control of places too. People sided with us, or France, and that lead to a Global conflict that spanned Europe, America, Africa, South Asia and the Philippines. Has History about WW1 been wrong by a few hundred years? That was the 7 year war between 1756 and 1763.

More research - I don't blame you (America) for wanting independence. in 1750, a lot of southern America (and Florida) was run by Spain. The East coast area was English, A lot of the middle was French and the Hudson Bay and Newfoundland was 'ceded by France to England by the treaty of Utrecht in 1713 (No idea what that is).

A simplified reason for the American war of Independence is money.. We, the English, wanted you, the Americans, to pay for the 7 year war by raising taxes in 1765. Everything from legal documents (to anger the lawyers) and even playing cards (angered the Sailors) were taxed. These weren't popular so they were changed to a different set of taxes in 1767.

In 1770, a British soldier was harassed by Boston locals, and eventually, other English soldiers came to his aid and violence broke out with sticks and other projectiles, the soldiers responded by opening fire on the crowd. (History repeats itself - google Bloody Sunday, 30 January 1972).

In 1773, a cargo of taxed tea was tipped into the sea.. I have never understood that.. I've just read a bit about it and I still don't get it.. The intention was to allow the East India Company to shift its excess stock, without selling it cheaper to English people. Previously, by a complex arrangement it was sold in America by resellers who paid a tax on the taxes in England, but Dutch tea was smuggled into America for less money. But, England didn't like that, so having already passed a law to ban all tea not from England, allowed the EIC to ship it direct, and sell it cheaper than the cost of the smuggled Dutch Tea? However, there was still a tax on it, which the Americans didn't like...

In 1774, the English decided to punish Boston by closing the port, aiming to stop all trade until the cost of the destroyed Tea was paid. Interestingly, 4 New York merchants offered to pay the sum, but were not allowed? So simply getting the cash wasn't the main aim of the port stoppage.

In English war history, we tend to note the dates whereby a war started and ended, but I suppose the founding of a country is bigger than the battles that took place around it. It's a pity that those battles have occurred and still goes on as it still seems that no one learns the lessons of the past... either that or they seem totally sure that they can do things differently.

Very informative , thank you alot
2004 Sierra 1500 SLE 4x4
5.3 vortec w/turbo
Bobbydj1980

Post by Bobbydj1980 »

Did not no alot of that thanks for the post I learned stuff I did not know
Love farming simulator I play on the Xbox series x orangebeach Alabama
Gimli54

Post by Gimli54 »

To add some notes to the above post from an American and history major, one key reason the colonies were disgruntled was that while England was trying to impose taxes to make up debt incurred during the French and Indian War (also known as the seven years war) was that there was no representation in parliament in which to have a voice about the taxes and also have equal representation as Englishman, England refused to adopt a stance of equality to the colonies and thus a stalemate began which led to increasing hostilities, the Boston Tea party as it is known here in the states was the act of colonists deliberately destroying taxed goods the English demanded be bought (short version is that the mercantile system was in place for the “superpowers” Spain and England of the day and so you wanted all of the money to go to the coffers of the home country not somewhere like Holland who was selling tea in the colonies) and so the English wanted English products (or those of English colonies to be bought) parliament refused to accept payment from other colonies to punish Boston and try and send a message to the colonies that the taxes would be enforced like them or not, this would only lead to more unity among the colonists, to the point of the French sending aid it was two fold first being that France was replacing Spain as the rival of England and by aiding the rebellious colonies punched the annoying thorn deeper into the side of England so to speak and so did it in part as nothing but pure spite to England, the second bit was trade and standing, if the colonies won it would give France an ally with ample resources they needed, the last point to make is that during that day and age the Royal Navy of England was unsurpassed and the colonies could only field schiffs basically outfitted with some guns and a crew, our first and possibly most famous naval hero, John Paul Jones, used his own private vessel, the bohhome Richard (sorry I spelled the first name wrong), to fight the British navy and in a fight against the British frigate the Serapis replied the famous words “I have not yet begun to fight” in response to a request for surrender, the British captain drew his own sword and struck his colors and replied to the awestruck crew “I will not kill us all fighting a madman”, Jones would seize the Serapis and attempt to tow his ship but it would eventually sink from the damage sustained in the fight, the naval battle was the only victory for the US navy during the entire war
Apologies for the long post so here’s a potato 🥔
Stevo0114

Post by Stevo0114 »

Nice little history facts interesting reading
Thanks for that
Love FS fav tractor Case I h. FS 19 has caught up and is now for me better than fs17
Playing on xbox one x, Thanks to Giants and all modders who make the game great.
Love this community so thanks guys