unfinished game?

chedly_farms

unfinished game?

Post by chedly_farms »

Now before everyone rages and people get upset, I'm not trying to "smack talk" the game or Devs in any way shape or form. I think the game is excellent and a lot of fun to play.

So, with the features of season being released, and knowing all the cool things in it. And knowing there is a platinum edition in the future, Do you ever feel like you are playing an unfinished game? I'm also looking out at all the really awesome mods in the works. It almost makes me feeling like playing 17, until all this stuff gets released. Not out of frustration, but because I don't want to play a certain way, get familiar with that, and have to learn a different way to play, once the new stuff drops. Like I said, I'm not intending to flame anyone, because all these changes are making the game more awesome.
Currently Playing on XBoxOne : Elm Creek

-----> And "Thank You Modders" for your contributions <----
DirectCedar

Re: unfinished game?

Post by DirectCedar »

chedly_farms wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 12:25 am Now before everyone rages and people get upset, I'm not trying to "smack talk" the game or Devs in any way shape or form. I think the game is excellent and a lot of fun to play.

So, with the features of season being released, and knowing all the cool things in it. And knowing there is a platinum edition in the future, Do you ever feel like you are playing an unfinished game? I'm also looking out at all the really awesome mods in the works. It almost makes me feeling like playing 17, until all this stuff gets released. Not out of frustration, but because I don't want to play a certain way, get familiar with that, and have to learn a different way to play, once the new stuff drops. Like I said, I'm not intending to flame anyone, because all these changes are making the game more awesome.
Yes. Exactly this. Which is why I am doing exactly as you describe, and still having a fantastic time with 17 and not fretting about wasting my time on a new version which has 1/2 the features of the old version that I love playing. When 19 is complete in a year or so, I'll probably happily move over.

I already own a couple copies of it, but they'll not go bad on my shelf until all the stuff that I would miss so much from 17 finally arrives to make 19 complete.

As I'm typing this I'm realizing this is sort of paying two years in advance for a product to hopefully be delivered in future... Oh well I've paid more for worse deals :lol: :lol:
Airborne82nd

Post by Airborne82nd »

Well, i feel your pain, in that that's how i felt a couple short months ago. But since then of course i have my JD, i now have the maps i've always wanted, they've tweeked the graphics i had a big complaint about. So, for me it's a finished game, anything from this point are just more bonuses.

But i def understand, if you're waiting for seasons or new maps, or other things, why you would go to 17, in what's a more complete game for you. My advice, being i wasn't a very happy camper, is just give it time, and it will come. But i do feel you.
cvKurt

Post by cvKurt »

I like how you start by saying you are not "smack talk"ing the game or devs and then proceed to smack the game as *unfinished".

If you don't want to change your how play the game, you could just stick with 19 "as is". Or just add in non-game changing DLCs and mods. If you are awaiting game changing features to be released by DLC or mods, it would seem odd to switch to 17 and just to switch back to 19 + DLC/mods later... as you would end up having to change how you play in your move to 17 and again in your move back.

On wasting time... I thought that was the purpose of this game! :-)
gilroy222

Post by gilroy222 »

Anybody who saw what the placeable system was at first before the landscaping patch came out should agree, without a doubt, that the game was unfinished.

It's better now but agreeing with the OP and most other people, not touching 19 until seasons and Lone Oak hit.
Sir_Kutz

Post by Sir_Kutz »

It does seem today most games do in fact come out unfinished. I'm not a huge fan of planned DLCs for that reason. I've quit play pretty much every other game besides FS. I wouldn't want to say that because of things like DLC, and Season that the game in unfinished. I feel that it was unpolished until update 1.3 or whatever it was. And Seasons is the IP of Realismus, I mean it's kind of Giant's technically. I believe I saw Guil write something about Giants not absorbing Season as they appreciate the the work of REalismus, and other modders. And it's the modders that make the game. FS19 is just the platform created to allow user to create their own experience, whether it would be to play vanilla, with mods, or to start making mods. I just started tweaking mods myself and feel that if the game was more "complete" it may not be a versatile. Speaking of which, we need some Versatile in the game! :biggrin2:
redglasses

Post by redglasses »

The only way you can get a close to finished game is on pc.
Playing Lincoln Creek on PC
Upload your screenshots here: IMG server
My Discord
Remember there is no need to spread your manure around the forums :wink3:
Jack of all trades, master of the skid steer
Farming Girl

Post by Farming Girl »

I think you could describe all games a unfinished, there are improvements i could think of with every game i have played, However when FS19 came out i felt like i was taking a step backwards compared to FS17, the improvements and mods that have come out since have redressed that balance somewhat, however when seasons comes out there will be a massive step forward, Yet there are still things that could be added, as with any game, you have to get a balance though, in what systems will cope with to play the game effectively, and yes that does include PC, not everyone can afford the latest System on the market, so game developers have to consider how compatible the game will be to maximise sales. i am not defending Giants nor condemning, the Vanilla release was far from a polished product, and i did go back to FS17 for a while, However i know that on each release there will be something new for me to enjoy, thus extend the life of my beloved franchise!

I understand all the comments and views above, as far as Planned DLC's, Bear in mind that if Giants decided to include all the content in those DLC's in the base game then it would delay the game by months, and then in that time more ideas would develop, thus delaying the game again, this is one area that the console has an advantage over the PC, we have the Season Pass, thus making sure we get all the new content as it comes without hitting our pocket again.

These are just my thoughts on the game, not intended to be fact! just how i see it, right or wrong.
Ann-Marie

C&S Modding
FarmBoss

Post by FarmBoss »

Do you mean something like:

No 3rd person character view for a customized character.
No chicken transport, but charged a fee for delivery.
No water for chickens.
Only manure from pigs and cows.
No horse breeding.
Dog.
Birds that appear out of thin air before your very eyes and proceed to fly through objects.
Can't collect straw from harvest missions.
Grain from harvest missions does not know what field it came from.
Place-able system before landscaping was provided in a patch after release.

Yes, it's an unfinished game because of all the unfinished features. Too much reliance on modders to fill the gaps and complete features.
this_is_gav

Post by this_is_gav »

FS19 was undoubtedly unfinished on release but for the most part is maturing into a decent edition of the game, picky issues and the colour balance aside. If the short but standard FS pattern of each second edition being a well-polished version of the previous one, then FS2x should be a cracker, especially if they move to 3+ year releases and start exploring the power of next-gen consoles and letting go of the ageing platforms they are currently limited by.

Just enjoy what you have and where the game is. It always feels like there's something better around the corner, but if you feel like starting up FS just do it; don't think "oh, I'll just wait until Seasons comes out" or "I need that cotton harvester first", just load up the game and enjoy it for what it is. Mods are brilliant, but having quality mods is more important than frequent ones. You'll never enjoy something if you spend more time anticipating everything.

That said, I'll give some thoughts on the below should anyone from GIANTS be looking for further ideas for future versions.

FarmBoss wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:44 am Do you mean something like:

1. No 3rd person character view for a customized character.
2. No chicken transport, but charged a fee for delivery.
3. No water for chickens.
4. Only manure from pigs and cows.
5. No horse breeding.
6. Dog.
7. Birds that appear out of thin air before your very eyes and proceed to fly through objects.
8. Can't collect straw from harvest missions.
9. Grain from harvest missions does not know what field it came from.
10. Place-able system before landscaping was provided in a patch after release.

Yes, it's an unfinished game because of all the unfinished features. Too much reliance on modders to fill the gaps and complete features.
1. Subjective rather than unfinished. There is in vehicles but obviously not walking about. This isn't Lara Croft or GTA though and it would add literally nothing to the game. Outside of vehicles it's just a player avatar for multiplayer. I much prefer first-person (and no, arms shouldn't be added in in-cab view either - they never look real and if I'm using a wheel I don't want to see four arms in front of me). If they are added as options I wouldn't mind though.

2. I don't think I've ever seen chickens being moved from place to place in real life. It must happen, but it's not something I especially want the devs to take time implementing. I'd be surprised if more than 10% of players use chickens on most of their saves (indeed most players wanted them removed from custom maps in previous versions because of the bleeding cockerel!).

3. Ignoring the above I do agree with this. Though I really don't want to have to use a relatively massive trailer on a tractor to water a dozen chickens. Something by hand would be nice (either hose or container). A nice addition would also be self-fill watering troughs for all animals (at extra cost) - most farms and fields around here have had them plumbed in for decades.

4. That's probably the way it is in reality too across much of the world at this scale. The level of manure from sheep and chickens is microscopic in comparison and rarely worth the effort outside of large-scale farming (not something you'd especially store from a tiny chicken pen). A wheel-barrow full of sheep manure isn't something I want to spend time removing (though would be fun if more hand-tools was something they would be introducing). Manure should have been added with the horses though.

That said, I think the amount of manure is generally too little compared to the amount of food they take - if a season is a day in standard FS (planting to harvesting) then the amount of manure is far too little - not even enough for a tiny field from ~40 cattle. If a seasonal aspect comes to FS2x then this will be something that will be improved though.

6. Agreed. The dog was a pointless addition that does nothing and adds nothing.

7. The birds are a bit halfhearted. I'd hoped they'd be more intelligent (possibly using a mask) and would follow ploughs and drills (especially seagulls in our case rather than crows). It is frustrating that they were added for immersion yet they completely break that immersion by flying through sheds and vehicles. They don't fly off for helpers either (even if the player is riding along with the helper). Good addition, but could do with a few little improvements for FS2x.

8. That's and interesting one. I wonder how that works in real life, as I bet it's not free for the contractor. Either the land-owner would collect it themselves or a fee would be agreed with the contractor. It would make a nice addition to the missions in the future though. As an aside, chopped straw should be a fertilisation option - especially good for those trying to simulate organic farming or starting out on a small budget.

10. I do feel for those on consoles who can't use the PlaceAnywhere mod. You're extremely restricted in who close you can place buildings. Given this was probably the biggest selling point of the game it's a shame it wasn't really improved over FS17. The placeable landscaping height could do with a bit of finer control too, and a preview would work wonders (not just a green silhouette).
Last edited by this_is_gav on Sat Jul 13, 2019 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SandyBay19

Post by SandyBay19 »

chedly_farms wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 12:25 am Now before everyone rages and people get upset, I'm not trying to "smack talk" the game or Devs in any way shape or form. I think the game is excellent and a lot of fun to play.

Couldn't agree more bro. Buying a 90€ not finished game and finally have to wait more/less one year to see seasons, pre-finished game patches, decent maps (Shamrock, Lone Oak....) BTW Giants can say thanks to OxygenDavid...;)

For FS21 please remember me to NOT pre-buying it but wait till October 2022!!!
Playing on PS4
FS11/15/17/19

Ski Region Simulator
Vfarms

Post by Vfarms »

Farming Girl wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:58 am I think you could describe all games a unfinished, there are improvements i could think of with every game i have played, However when FS19 came out i felt like i was taking a step backwards compared to FS17, the improvements and mods that have come out since have redressed that balance somewhat, however when seasons comes out there will be a massive step forward, Yet there are still things that could be added, as with any game, you have to get a balance though, in what systems will cope with to play the game effectively, and yes that does include PC, not everyone can afford the latest System on the market, so game developers have to consider how compatible the game will be to maximise sales. i am not defending Giants nor condemning, the Vanilla release was far from a polished product, and i did go back to FS17 for a while, However i know that on each release there will be something new for me to enjoy, thus extend the life of my beloved franchise!

I understand all the comments and views above, as far as Planned DLC's, Bear in mind that if Giants decided to include all the content in those DLC's in the base game then it would delay the game by months, and then in that time more ideas would develop, thus delaying the game again, this is one area that the console has an advantage over the PC, we have the Season Pass, thus making sure we get all the new content as it comes without hitting our pocket again.

These are just my thoughts on the game, not intended to be fact! just how i see it, right or wrong.
This exactly
This is the most fun you're ever gonna have

Xbox series x
1992Tadej1992

Post by 1992Tadej1992 »

Yeah it is pointless to invest your time in the save, that you will delete it, when seasons is released.
Ritchie

Post by Ritchie »

I wonder how many hours people posting here have under their belts on this "unfinished" game :hmm:
Farming Girl

Post by Farming Girl »

Ritchie wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 2:44 pm I wonder how many hours people posting here have under their belts on this "unfinished" game :hmm:
I must have over 1000 hours, I dread to think how many in FS17.
Ann-Marie

C&S Modding