Console only question

Rasping rabbit

Re: Console only question

Post by Rasping rabbit »

FarmBoss wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 12:38 am I wonder how many slots each of the trillion planets in no mans sky uses.
They will take up very little memory until you visit them as nothing happens on them while you are not there.

Not entirely sure you understand the slot system.
FarmBoss

Post by FarmBoss »

Rasping rabbit wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 3:25 pm
FarmBoss wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 12:38 am I wonder how many slots each of the trillion planets in no mans sky uses.
They will take up very little memory until you visit them as nothing happens on them while you are not there.

I understand the slot system. I was just making a little joke. I'm aware that most other games only load what you can see. A little sarcasm as no mans sky can have a map the size of an entire world, while fs struggles with 2km x 2km area.
Guil

Post by Guil »

FarmBoss wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 5:39 pm
Rasping rabbit wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 3:25 pm

I understand the slot system. I was just making a little joke. I'm aware that most other games only load what you can see. A little sarcasm as no mans sky can have a map the size of an entire world, while fs struggles with 2km x 2km area.
You clearly don't when you are comparing it to something entirely different.
Rbk_3

Post by Rbk_3 »

If console users spend the time they complain about slot counts and lack of mods working toward funding a PC, they would be able to build a top of the line rig.
PC: 9600k/1080ti
FarmBoss

Post by FarmBoss »

Rbk_3 wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 1:21 am If console users spend the time they complain about slot counts and lack of mods working toward funding a PC, they would be able to build a top of the line rig.
I can't imagine a home without a PC these days. But giants needs to make an effort to bring their code to the current era. Consoles are not built to cater to FS. FS shouldn't rely on the next gen console to provide more ram to improve slot count. Developers need to enhance and tweak their builds to play nicely with consoles. The "small company" excuse has run its course. Hello Games has a shining example of what can be done. You can't convince me there is more going on in FS than in No Mans Sky. Elite Dangerous, even The Crew has an entire map of the US. There'll be people hitting back at me, but if they can't see my point then that is their problem.
In any case, I love this game, will continue to play and purchase every version, and will always hope for more from the developers. Not entitled, not demanding, just saying.
juf.de

Post by juf.de »

FarmBoss wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 3:59 am I can't imagine a home without a PC these days. But giants needs to make an effort to bring their code to the current era. Consoles are not built to cater to FS. FS shouldn't rely on the next gen console to provide more ram to improve slot count. Developers need to enhance and tweak their builds to play nicely with consoles. The "small company" excuse has run its course. Hello Games has a shining example of what can be done. You can't convince me there is more going on in FS than in No Mans Sky. Elite Dangerous, even The Crew has an entire map of the US. There'll be people hitting back at me, but if they can't see my point then that is their problem.
In any case, I love this game, will continue to play and purchase every version, and will always hope for more from the developers. Not entitled, not demanding, just saying.
Those are probably the worst kind of examples, just like the usual comparison with GTA.
If you want to bring a good example use one of the paradox games, those do actually simulate most if not all things on the map and you will notice that.
Tutorials: log.txt, Giants Bilderhoster, erweiterter Texteditor, Konsole (PC)    /    Direktlink Giants Imagehoster
[PC] [Mac] [XB1] [PS4] in the thread title keeps the Forum clean / im Threadtitel hält das Forum übersichtlich
Playing on PC
eric21

Post by eric21 »

FarmBoss wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 3:59 am
Rbk_3 wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 1:21 am If console users spend the time they complain about slot counts and lack of mods working toward funding a PC, they would be able to build a top of the line rig.
I can't imagine a home without a PC these days. But giants needs to make an effort to bring their code to the current era. Consoles are not built to cater to FS. FS shouldn't rely on the next gen console to provide more ram to improve slot count. Developers need to enhance and tweak their builds to play nicely with consoles. The "small company" excuse has run its course. Hello Games has a shining example of what can be done. You can't convince me there is more going on in FS than in No Mans Sky. Elite Dangerous, even The Crew has an entire map of the US. There'll be people hitting back at me, but if they can't see my point then that is their problem.
Elite Damgerous and No Mans sky is all generated.
GSD84

Post by GSD84 »

Wher is all JD equipment 5 sere ? Seeder ? Cultivater? Sprayer? That is what I wish for and that will I call a JD dlc
gilroy222

Post by gilroy222 »

theSeb wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:31 pm
For those trying to compare different games with different engines... it's a pointless comparison. It's like asking why is my tractor faster across a ploughed field than a Ferrari 488 Pista.
Would FS handle better on consoles then if Giant's used a different/better engine?

Forgive my ignorance but it seems like you're implying that those other games run better on console because they use a different engine.
theSeb

Post by theSeb »

gilroy222 wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 9:50 pm
theSeb wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:31 pm
For those trying to compare different games with different engines... it's a pointless comparison. It's like asking why is my tractor faster across a ploughed field than a Ferrari 488 Pista.
Would FS handle better on consoles then if Giant's used a different/better engine?

Forgive my ignorance but it seems like you're implying that those other games run better on console because they use a different engine.
There is currently no engine that is better for a farming game and can do what the Giants engine does in terms of performance and multiplayer synchronisation
Guil

Post by Guil »

It's not because a different engine, it's because they are entirely different games.

Perfect example is GTA, every time you switch character it takes 5 or 10 seconds to load. That's because when you switch it loads everything needed around that character.
juf.de

Post by juf.de »

Another good example with GTA is, that everything 100-200 m away from the player isn't loaded, transfering that to Giants engine the player would have to stand at a small patch of fields to let them grow while all other fields around the map would progress no matter what.

But damn but that growing on those fields next to the player be smooth. /s just in case
Tutorials: log.txt, Giants Bilderhoster, erweiterter Texteditor, Konsole (PC)    /    Direktlink Giants Imagehoster
[PC] [Mac] [XB1] [PS4] in the thread title keeps the Forum clean / im Threadtitel hält das Forum übersichtlich
Playing on PC
FarmBoss

Post by FarmBoss »

It doesn't appear that the fields actually grow gradually out of the ground and into their harvest state. It appears that when a timer hits, a different texture is painted. You can see the rather large leap in growth being painted. Nothing gradual or smooth about it.
PrincessJessi84

Post by PrincessJessi84 »

it has to be that way.. u don't seem to understand that part of it.. louder for the people in the back.. IT DOESNT WORK THAT WAY.. if it grew "gradually" the game would have to process each plant at its individual state each and every growth state.. now that doesn't so bad playing in real time.. but now fast forward.. speed time up like most players do at one point or another.. now an entire map is changing states often... real often.. im pretty sure that would bring my system to its knees.. NO other game I play does anything like what it seems like u want.. the most "complex" farming game out hands down is crops and cattle and it runs like garbage.. awesome potential.. but the execution of such complexity taxes my system probs about as much or more than ANY other game I play on any setting.. these types of games r insanely taxing (in crops and cattle defense, it has been awhile since I played and a patch dropped since then and its entirely possible they lined out the performance issues a bit but I doubt it as the phase of their build seems to be features and not optimization (yet?))
https://fs19communitytrader.freeforums.net/
PC
PC - Ryzen 7-2700 8core, 32gb ram, 2x2tb SSD, RTX 2080 SUPER 8gb, GX-850 Gold PSU
Displays - ASUS ROG Strix XG43VQ 43” Super Ultra-Wide Curved HDR Gaming Monitor 120Hz (3840 x 1200)
Samsung CFG70 27" Curved gaming Monitor 144HZ (1920 x 1080)
2x 24" Dell Monitors
Controllers - T150 Pro, Side Panel, TrackIR7, TM Stick
Rbk_3

Post by Rbk_3 »

Drmattymd wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 6:18 am
FarmBoss wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 3:59 am
ITS NOT THE SAME THING. There is absolutely more going on in FS than No mans sky . It doesnt matter how big the map or world is in those games because theres nothing going on on the other side of the planet or country that the game has to keep track of. its only tracking or rendering a tiny area in comparison to the whole map. FS is broken down into millions maybe billions of individual cells that have multiple layers of data in each one. Every one of those is loaded and working at the same time otherwise you wouldnt have continuity across the map.
Yeah, think about GTA V. If you wanted to switch to one of the other characters across the map, it took like 20 plus seconds to load. Do you want 20 second loads when tabbing vehicles?
PC: 9600k/1080ti