Lag on 4x map a graphics card issue?

Deadeye
Posts: 474
Joined: Thu Jun 18, 2015 2:25 pm
Location: Pennsylvania USA

Lag on 4x map a graphics card issue?

Post by Deadeye » Sat Aug 03, 2019 1:31 am

Hey everybody. Question for those more tech savvy than myself. I've recently downloaded the Old Time Farm map. It's a 4x map with large fields and an awesome farm yard. However, when I go through a portion of the map that has lots of trees, I find that I lag quite a bit if I'm moving fast (Such as in my Mack Superliner). My PC runs FS19 quite well, though my graphics card is a bit outdated. I've known this for a while, but haven't wanted to spend the money to upgrade it yet. My question is if getting a new graphics card would help this issue? If it would, I think it might be time to get an upgrade.

Thanks, and Happy Farming.
"We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately."- Benjamin Franklin
"Speak softly and carry a big stick; You will go far"- Theodore Roosevelt

Way2drunk2walk
Posts: 125
Joined: Sat May 13, 2017 7:32 am
Location: Somewhere down in Texas

Re: Lag on 4x map a graphics card issue?

Post by Way2drunk2walk » Sat Aug 03, 2019 2:25 am

What card do you currently have?
"Texas has yet to learn submission to any oppression, come from what source it may." Samuel Houston
Farming on PC

svkb
Posts: 81
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2017 5:31 am

Re: Lag on 4x map a graphics card issue?

Post by svkb » Sat Aug 03, 2019 2:47 am

Without knowing what card you have and the settings you're running it's difficult to say for sure. That being said, my card rarely runs at max even at 4K. It's generally running in the 70-80% range. However when I get lag or stutter the graphics card is never maxed. The game just isn't optimized that well in my opinion.
I7 3770
Z77 Extreme 4
16 GB Ram
RTX 2060 FE

Deadeye
Posts: 474
Joined: Thu Jun 18, 2015 2:25 pm
Location: Pennsylvania USA

Re: Lag on 4x map a graphics card issue?

Post by Deadeye » Sat Aug 03, 2019 3:57 am

Sorry. I didn't think to give that information. My graphics card is an Nvidia GTX 750 Ti. My processor is an AMD Ryzen 3 2200G. I'm not really looking to play on max settings here. I've been running on medium graphics settings since the game released. I don't have any problems in regular maps, Just this 4x map. I get pretty bad lag from time to time.
"We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately."- Benjamin Franklin
"Speak softly and carry a big stick; You will go far"- Theodore Roosevelt

User avatar
L2K Perma
Posts: 106
Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:00 am

Re: Lag on 4x map a graphics card issue?

Post by L2K Perma » Sat Aug 03, 2019 3:58 am

Deadeye wrote:
Sat Aug 03, 2019 1:31 am
Hey everybody. Question for those more tech savvy than myself. I've recently downloaded the Old Time Farm map. It's a 4x map with large fields and an awesome farm yard. However, when I go through a portion of the map that has lots of trees, I find that I lag quite a bit if I'm moving fast (Such as in my Mack Superliner). My PC runs FS19 quite well, though my graphics card is a bit outdated. I've known this for a while, but haven't wanted to spend the money to upgrade it yet. My question is if getting a new graphics card would help this issue? If it would, I think it might be time to get an upgrade.

Thanks, and Happy Farming.
With Farming Simulator, it could be anything from your graphics card to your processor or even your ram so we'd need to know exactly what specs you're running to be able to say.
FS13 - Xbox 360
FS15 - Xbox 360/Xbox One
FS17 - Xbox One
FS19 - PC

PC specs: i5-8600k, M22 Kraken AIO cooler, 16GB ddr4 ram, GTX 1070 Ti, 256 GB SSD, 1 TB HDD

Sir_Kutz
Posts: 134
Joined: Fri Mar 01, 2019 9:23 pm

Re: Lag on 4x map a graphics card issue?

Post by Sir_Kutz » Sat Aug 03, 2019 4:31 am

Does the lag decrease after the games had a little time to render everything in?

Bartalos1
Posts: 40
Joined: Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:58 am

Re: Lag on 4x map a graphics card issue?

Post by Bartalos1 » Sat Aug 03, 2019 5:03 am

Its a game limitation. I get a lot of fps drops on some maps. And cpu nor gpu isnt fully utilized. 9900k + rtx 2080ti

User avatar
Guil
Moderator
Posts: 6002
Joined: Fri Aug 21, 2015 8:43 pm

Re: Lag on 4x map a graphics card issue?

Post by Guil » Sat Aug 03, 2019 6:46 am

Deadeye wrote:
Sat Aug 03, 2019 3:57 am
Sorry. I didn't think to give that information. My graphics card is an Nvidia GTX 750 Ti. My processor is an AMD Ryzen 3 2200G. I'm not really looking to play on max settings here. I've been running on medium graphics settings since the game released. I don't have any problems in regular maps, Just this 4x map. I get pretty bad lag from time to time.
I'd say it's more the processor causing the lag. 4x maps are a lot more taxing on a system.

User avatar
theMavric
Posts: 70
Joined: Tue Jul 02, 2019 5:11 am
Location: Dallas, TX

Re: Lag on 4x map a graphics card issue?

Post by theMavric » Sat Aug 03, 2019 8:49 am

It also doesn't help that Cazz went through and added a ton more trees than the original Old Timers map. Even on my overclocked 2070 XC Ultra I was getting mad frame drops in certain areas. One thing I usually do since I'm not at all into the logging aspect of the game is open it up in Giants Editor and remove all the tree fields while leaving the ones that are there that feel more aesthetically placed. This cuts down on video memory usage a ton and usually cuts out frame drops entirely.

YMMV!
Missouri-born, Tennessee-raised, Texas-lost

Bartalos1
Posts: 40
Joined: Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:58 am

Re: Lag on 4x map a graphics card issue?

Post by Bartalos1 » Sat Aug 03, 2019 9:02 am

theMavric wrote:
Sat Aug 03, 2019 8:49 am
It also doesn't help that Cazz went through and added a ton more trees than the original Old Timers map. Even on my overclocked 2070 XC Ultra I was getting mad frame drops in certain areas. One thing I usually do since I'm not at all into the logging aspect of the game is open it up in Giants Editor and remove all the tree fields while leaving the ones that are there that feel more aesthetically placed. This cuts down on video memory usage a ton and usually cuts out frame drops entirely.

YMMV!
but youre sure that your whole VRAM is used at that time ?
at 4K with everything maxed out it eats only up to 4,5 gigs

Daviss42
Posts: 116
Joined: Thu Nov 22, 2018 1:08 pm

Re: Lag on 4x map a graphics card issue?

Post by Daviss42 » Sat Aug 03, 2019 10:51 am

I too had this question after playing county line with seasons.. Was getting fps drops regularly changed my settings from max to potato mode and didn't see a negligible difference and I thought my specs were pretty good especially for a farm sim haha.

I5 9400f
Rtx 2060
16gb ram

I think it all comes down to farming sims game engine and how it doesn't even utilize my gpu CPU at all tbh but a game like days can run my card at 90% - 100% utilization let's hope 21 they can actually update it to the point it fits in with modern systems.
System - i5-9400F | RTX 2060 | 16GB LPX 2666mhz | 1.24TB SSD
Peripherals - Logitech G502 Hero | HyperX Fury Cloud 2

Bartalos1
Posts: 40
Joined: Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:58 am

Re: Lag on 4x map a graphics card issue?

Post by Bartalos1 » Sat Aug 03, 2019 12:11 pm

im affraid its a sloppy game design. game just cant utilize those resources as youve said.

User avatar
theMavric
Posts: 70
Joined: Tue Jul 02, 2019 5:11 am
Location: Dallas, TX

Re: Lag on 4x map a graphics card issue?

Post by theMavric » Sat Aug 03, 2019 12:26 pm

Bartalos1 wrote:
Sat Aug 03, 2019 9:02 am
but youre sure that your whole VRAM is used at that time ?
at 4K with everything maxed out it eats only up to 4,5 gigs
It could be only using that much, but the game engine itself might not be correctly transferring data to/from the vram in an efficient way, causing the frame loss. Especially when it comes to trees and other LOD foliage (crops won't suffer from this as much because they are only fully rendered about 30-40m in front of you). Like others have stated in the thread, it's mostly a game engine thing related to poor optimization.

I'm also exhausted and can't sleep so I apologize if that seems sloppy or confusing.
Missouri-born, Tennessee-raised, Texas-lost

Deadeye
Posts: 474
Joined: Thu Jun 18, 2015 2:25 pm
Location: Pennsylvania USA

Re: Lag on 4x map a graphics card issue?

Post by Deadeye » Sat Aug 03, 2019 3:07 pm

Thanks everybody for the replies. Based off of what I'm reading and what I saw, it seems that the issue might be all the trees on the map. I have 16GB of RAM so I don't really think that is an issue. I see that Guil mentioned that it may be my processor. If that is the case I may be stuck, as a processor is not as easily replaced as a GPU. I have decided that I am going to upgrade my GPU. That said, this is one of the reasons I don't like the new graphics on FS19. I didn't run FS17 on my PC, but I have a feeling my PC wouldn't have had this problem with FS17. I could be wrong on this. All the same, I look forward to figuring out some way to enjoy the map in the near future. In the meantime, I'm playing The Great Smoky Mountains map with seasons.
"We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately."- Benjamin Franklin
"Speak softly and carry a big stick; You will go far"- Theodore Roosevelt

User avatar
Napalm
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:12 pm

Re: Lag on 4x map a graphics card issue?

Post by Napalm » Sat Aug 03, 2019 3:35 pm

Deadeye wrote:
Sat Aug 03, 2019 3:07 pm
......I see that Guil mentioned that it may be my processor. If that is the case I may be stuck, as a processor is not as easily replaced as a GPU.....
You will easily be able to upgrade to a Ryzen 5 or Ryzen 7 without issue as all the AMD boards are compatible.
Due to the recent release of the Zen2 Ryzen processors the 2xxx series of Ryzen CPUs have dropped in price.

I run a Ryzen 5 2600, Nvidia GTX1060 6GB OC and 16GB RAM and getting a constant 50-60FPS with everything on Max, that is also on some heavily modded maps although I have not tried a 4x map.

Post Reply