Flatmap

PrzemsoN

Re: Flatmap

Post by PrzemsoN »

HI Tylercheesey1986
I have a question for you
Can a channel with water be located along the long edge of the field. Are there rectangular cotton fields?
Tylercheesey1986

Post by Tylercheesey1986 »

Am more than happy to help a modder!!

First.
Generally yes, most cotton farms have huge water storage dams and a system the larger channels most would be on long sides of fields, these feed water to the irrigattion channel at the top/high side of the paddock, paddock gets flood irrigated, water eventually ends up in smaller drain ditch at the bottom/low side of paddock.

Second.
Most cotton farmer try to have fields as square/rectangular as possible. Fields may have angle on one side but never see irregular shaped fields.
This is as cotton is planted in straight rows, harvesters cannot harvest cotton at angles or turn while harvesting. also most fields are less than 1000metres long.

Hope that helps.
If you like, I will collect some photos for you also?
Aussie who loves himself a 7790 JD cotton picker, 100ac was most i got off in one day. (22.5hrs)
Currently a 300 ac irrigated beef farmer with Hereford Angus x.
50-120 head.
Gear-MF i148, 7 disc offset plow, fert/seed broadcaster, harrow bars.
Only crop for improving grazing capacity so don't need much.
Aussie farmer who thinks FS 19 rulz :gamer:
Xbox gamer tag- TopCheesey420
garyst

Post by garyst »

Tylercheesey1986 wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 11:43 pm Am more than happy to help a modder!!

First.
Generally yes, most cotton farms have huge water storage dams and a system the larger channels most would be on long sides of fields, these feed water to the irrigattion channel at the top/high side of the paddock, paddock gets flood irrigated, water eventually ends up in smaller drain ditch at the bottom/low side of paddock.

Second.
Most cotton farmer try to have fields as square/rectangular as possible. Fields may have angle on one side but never see irregular shaped fields.
This is as cotton is planted in straight rows, harvesters cannot harvest cotton at angles or turn while harvesting. also most fields are less than 1000metres long.

Hope that helps.
If you like, I will collect some photos for you also?

I must say ya'll farm cotton alot different than what we do here in central Louisiana USA. No one over here has storage dams for water, nor does anyone irrigate their cotton fields. They actually try to make as much drainage ditches as possible to get excess water out of the fields. We get alot of rain over here though. We average between 60 to 70 inches a year, but this year we are already at 68 inches for 2019. I also see alot of irregular shaped fields with cotton in it. The field behind my house is cotton this year and it is a bit irregular shaped but the rows are planted straight as possible.
Tylercheesey1986

Yeah we get very little rainfall in our cotton growing areas, farms pay millions in water licenses (much to the hatred of downstream farmers whos rivers dry up) to pump water from river systems and catch as much rainfall as possible. Fields are 500-1000ac (average).

Here are a few pics of "Cubbie Station" which is a farm I spent many years at.

As you can see in last pic there are huge irrigation channels and a gigantic water storage dam off in the distance
Aussie who loves himself a 7790 JD cotton picker, 100ac was most i got off in one day. (22.5hrs)
50-120 head.
garyst

Post by garyst »

That's alot bigger farms than around here. I would say most fields average around 50 acres over here and the biggest cotton farmer over here only plants around 300 acres a year.
PrzemsoN

Post by PrzemsoN »

Which form is more correct? left or right
Tylercheesey1986

I would say right looks good PrzemsoN.

Most channels, the ones to get water from point A to point B are deep with high banks 5-10m , the actual irrigation channels at top of fields are about 50cm high like this

Also note the pieces of pipe, these are used to "siphon" water from channel onto field ( simply really, just place pipe as deep into water as possible, place hand over the end that is out of water to make an airtight seal while pulling pipe back out of water, but not raising submerged end out of water. Then simply lay down on plow groove)
50-120 head.
Hoss1

Post by Hoss1 »

Tylercheesey1986 wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 3:42 pm I would say right looks good PrzemsoN.

Most channels, the ones to get water from point A to point B are deep with high banks 5-10m , the actual irrigation channels at top of fields are about 50cm high like this

Also note the pieces of pipe, these are used to "siphon" water from channel onto field ( simply really, just place pipe as deep into water as possible, place hand over the end that is out of water to make an airtight seal while pulling pipe back out of water, but not raising submerged end out of water. Then simply lay down on plow groove)
Thanks for that pic Tylercheesey! Reminds me of me and my grandfather 40 years ago when I began working on his farm. He grew a lot of cotton, wheat, and sugar beet (he even designed and built his own sugar beet harvester) here in the US (Arizona).

Back on topic... I swore I wasn’t going to start a new save after the update, but I broke down and did it the other day. I’m using the “Tylercheesey method” and started by turning the whole map into a giant field, then shaping them and putting in roads and trees.
Playing on Xbox since FS15
Tylercheesey1986

It takes some time but I find its the best way
50-120 head.