Auto Steer

TXTiggr47

Auto Steer

Post by TXTiggr47 »

Might be a dumb question, but is there anyway or anyone working on a way to have a simple auto-steer on console? I’ve seen some light chatter in this area about the need for it, so I know I’m not the only one wanting such a thing, but I haven’t seen anyone say that this is a WIP or even something being considered.

Biggest reason for asking is I have been working on FlatMap and I really enjoy it, except during big field creation when I have to make long passes with the 10M plow in a straight line and am CONSTANTLY having to adjust to keep a straight line. Doesn’t even need to be as fancy as a GPS system or making field creation an AI-able task once a perimeter is set, just a simple steering hold in one of the eight cardinal directions like the AI workers use would be a huge help in this regard.

And yes I’m aware of the glorious mods available to PC users and the ease of modding on PC, but for conversational purposes I’m strictly interested in console mods in the works or getting one going.
juf.de

Re: Auto Steer

Post by juf.de »

Some changes to the helper ai require a script and external scripts are not allowed on consoles, as long as Giants do not support it, as they did with seasons.
So you will probably not see such a mod on consoles in this game.
Tutorials: log.txt, Giants Bilderhoster, erweiterter Texteditor, Konsole (PC)    /    Direktlink Giants Imagehoster
[PC] [Mac] [XB1] [PS4] in the thread title keeps the Forum clean / im Threadtitel hält das Forum übersichtlich
Playing on PC
BigAl Farming

Post by BigAl Farming »

Not quite the way you're after, but in meantime easiest way might be to create field, then use the landscaping tool (on square) to go round the edges and paint grass to straighten the edges out?
TXTiggr47

Post by TXTiggr47 »

BigAl Farming wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:48 pm Not quite the way you're after, but in meantime easiest way might be to create field, then use the landscaping tool (on square) to go round the edges and paint grass to straighten the edges out?
Yeah that’s how I did the main outline of the field, but the fields I’m creating are quite massive. Almost the entire top quarter of FlatMap is the size of one of them, so the main need for some form of auto steer is when plowing out the rest of the field. When using the largest plow the tractor (Case Quadtrac, New Holland T9, and Challenger MT900 all do this) constantly turns slightly away from the plow and you have to keep course correcting to keep a straight line or else you lose efficiency since you’re not using the whole plow. Since you can’t use AI for field creation, it’s an incredibly frustrating having to keep the tractor in line over a long straight. I would think something like this would definitely be in line with the scripts already in place in the game, given how the AI functions on its own. All that would be needed is to basically copy and paste the section allowing the AI to keep a straight line and create a key assignment for the function. But I’m not a coder by any means. :lol:
FarmerJimbob

Post by FarmerJimbob »

TXTiggr47 wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 12:09 am I would think something like this would definitely be in line with the scripts already in place in the game, given how the AI functions on its own. All that would be needed is to basically copy and paste the section allowing the AI to keep a straight line and create a key assignment for the function. But I’m not a coder by any means. :lol:
I had similar frustration with there being no compass in 17 even though clearly the required data was available in the game and just needed to be exposed to the player. I guess in this case it might not be the complexity of the coding but some reticence on Giants part to enable what would effectively be basic GPS as there may then be calls to take that onto the next levels of functionality.
TXTiggr47

Post by TXTiggr47 »

I could understand that. It would make the game so much more enjoyable, especially if we get more options like FlatMap where the actual farm creation is on the player. I watch a lot of MNMillenialFarmer and watching him use the Challenger he demo’d with the auto steer is what gave me the idea of some sort of auto steer/steering lock in the game. Just seems like something Giants could make a small tweak and add some extra realism (and helping hand) to the game.