Should I go with PC version of FS19?

Dka71

Should I go with PC version of FS19?

Post by Dka71 »

My son has FS 15 & 17 on the Xbox, as well as the Platinun Expansion, I'm debating going with the PC version of FS19 for him but curious about any limitations. I've seen more options available for the PC and not to sound negative, but why does FS even exist for consoles if they cannot share the same mods? Is this a copyright issue?

He likes to play 2 player with both of our consoles, but says the PC version has less limitations (if any) on mods. If we go with the PC version, is multi-player avail using laptops on the same wi-fi? I assume it will be possible.

Can a console link with the PC on the same wi-fi or does multi-player need to be all consoles or all PC's?

Thanks!
Joepipefitter

Re: Should I go with PC version of FS19?

Post by Joepipefitter »

I can’t speak for the multiplayer portion but I switched from Xbox to pc about a month ago and have not touched the Xbox since. Night and day. Bigger maps, more functionality, way more mods. Honestly I think the internet radio is the part I like the most though.
juf.de

Post by juf.de »

The game in general is the same on PC and the consoles, the main differences are, that a good PC lets you enjoy a smoother gameplay with a better graphics, while a console allows you to play a game without having to worry about possible gamebraking bugs or mods.

Now the main selling point of the FS series are the mods. The consoles are limited to equipment of brands already ingame and without external/usermade scripts due to Sony/Microsofts policies. PC/Mac on the other had are not and you can put any mod for FS19 onto it, some of them are gamebraking, so you have to check mods from unofficial sources for possible bugs (mods from the official modhub are mostly bug free).

Multiplay is strictly divided between the two consoles aswell as between consoles and PC/Mac, Pc and Mac user however can play with each other.

Now if your son likes to play with his friends and all of them do have their game on xbox, then you should get it on xbox. If your son likes to play with a lot of different mods which aren't available on consoles, Pc would be the version you should choose. this however is only true, if you have or are going to buy a PC/Notebook which can handle FS19, barly meeting the minimum requirements won't provide any joy.
Tutorials: log.txt, Giants Bilderhoster, erweiterter Texteditor, Konsole (PC)    /    Direktlink Giants Imagehoster
[PC] [Mac] [XB1] [PS4] in the thread title keeps the Forum clean / im Threadtitel hält das Forum übersichtlich
Playing on PC
Dka71

Post by Dka71 »

Thanks for the quick replies.

Him and I actually play multi quite a bit, we have it in two rooms on seperate plasma displays and the graphics are quite impressive, coming from a PC gaming perspective. We don't incur any lag for the most part, gameplay is quite seamless, and detail is very high quality.

Not sure of the laptops graphics card, but with the 4GB RAM and SS drive it's pretty quick, I'm thinking maybe going for an upgraded laptop we can connect to the TV that way we can still multi with my desktop.

Slightly off topic, one thing he and I would love is a larger lowboy hauler to carry the larger harvesters, console trailers are too narrow...is this possible in FS19 with the PC?
L2K Perma

Post by L2K Perma »

Dka71 wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:44 pm Thanks for the quick replies.

Him and I actually play multi quite a bit, we have it in two rooms on seperate plasma displays and the graphics are quite impressive, coming from a PC gaming perspective. We don't incur any lag for the most part, gameplay is quite seamless, and detail is very high quality.

Not sure of the laptops graphics card, but with the 4GB RAM and SS drive it's pretty quick, I'm thinking maybe going for an upgraded laptop we can connect to the TV that way we can still multi with my desktop.

Slightly off topic, one thing he and I would love is a larger lowboy hauler to carry the larger harvesters, console trailers are too narrow...is this possible in FS19 with the PC?
The 4 GB of ram would honestly be quite limiting as Farming Simulator relies heavily on ram.

As far as lowboys there are quite a few out on the PC market, iconik has a pack with one that has a Fontaine Heavy Haul trailer (also from expendables and a few other authors, iconik made an edit to them as well as other trailers) which I believe would carry a large harvester.
FS13 - Xbox 360
FS15 - Xbox 360/Xbox One
FS17 - Xbox One
FS19 - PC

PC specs: i5-8600k, M22 Kraken AIO cooler, 16GB ddr4 ram, RTX 2070 Super, 256 GB SSD, 1 TB HDD
juf.de

Post by juf.de »

There are a few trailers out there, which are a bit wider, i think the most downloaded once are from custom modding.
Their web presence: https://www.facebook.com/custom.mdg/
The two lowboys of them:
https://www.facebook.com/custom.mdg/pos ... 7570520015
https://www.facebook.com/custom.mdg/pos ... 1305323973

Regarding the PC specs i recomend this thread here: viewtopic.php?f=963&t=148459
Tutorials: log.txt, Giants Bilderhoster, erweiterter Texteditor, Konsole (PC)    /    Direktlink Giants Imagehoster
[PC] [Mac] [XB1] [PS4] in the thread title keeps the Forum clean / im Threadtitel hält das Forum übersichtlich
Playing on PC
DirectCedar

Post by DirectCedar »

Dka71 wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 8:33 pm My son has FS 15 & 17 on the Xbox, as well as the Platinun Expansion, I'm debating going with the PC version of FS19 for him but curious about any limitations. I've seen more options available for the PC and not to sound negative, but why does FS even exist for consoles if they cannot share the same mods? Is this a copyright issue?

He likes to play 2 player with both of our consoles, but says the PC version has less limitations (if any) on mods. If we go with the PC version, is multi-player avail using laptops on the same wi-fi? I assume it will be possible.

Can a console link with the PC on the same wi-fi or does multi-player need to be all consoles or all PC's?

Thanks!
Question 1: Yes copyright is part of the issue. Consoles only allow mods for brands that Giants has the license for. Hence why there were no John Deere mods on console in versions prior to 19, for example. The counter side is the wild west of PC mods where pretty much anything goes and there are orders of magnitude more mods available. Second restriction as mentioned is that Sony and Microsoft do not allow mods with external scripts, so all the cool external script mods end up being PC only. Therefore there are mods for both PC and console, and many more that are PC only.

Question 2: Yes you can play multiplayer with two PCs on the same local connection. PC multiplayer is only through the in-game-accessible servers; it does not support LAN. So both computers need internet access regardless whether they are connected to the same local network or not.

Question 3: As already answered, you can't play multiplayer cross-platform, with the exception that PCs and Macs can talk to each other.
1992Tadej1992

Post by 1992Tadej1992 »

Yes you should.
Dka71

Post by Dka71 »

Sounds like over-whelming support for the PC so I will surely go for it. Hope this isn't a dumb question but I assume if I want to play Multi within the house I will need 2 copies of the game?

Thanks for the Info and the pics, looks like it will be fun.

The wife and I have been wanting to upgrade our laptop anyway, this could be a good push for something capable for gameplay.

I will check out the link on the different systems....if anyone has a recommendation for a laptop that has performed well that doesn't need any upgrades please let me know. I dont mind building one or doing research, just curious what is avail now that doesn't need anything. May also build a micro atx but the laptop is higher on the priority list.

Thanks again!
L2K Perma

Post by L2K Perma »

Dka71 wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 3:13 am Sounds like over-whelming support for the PC so I will surely go for it. Hope this isn't a dumb question but I assume if I want to play Multi within the house I will need 2 copies of the game?

Thanks for the Info and the pics, looks like it will be fun.

The wife and I have been wanting to upgrade our laptop anyway, this could be a good push for something capable for gameplay.

I will check out the link on the different systems....if anyone has a recommendation for a laptop that has performed well that doesn't need any upgrades please let me know. I dont mind building one or doing research, just curious what is avail now that doesn't need anything. May also build a micro atx but the laptop is higher on the priority list.

Thanks again!
If you plan on playing at the same time, then yes you'll need two copies. If only one was playing at a time you could buy the game on steam and use the family sharing option, would would allow you to only buy one copy for two computers/accounts, just only one computer can be playing it at a time.

If you find any laptops in the meantime, if you link them here or in the topic that juf.de mentioned at the end of his post, I or one of the other helpful members would likely let you know if it'd run FS19 decently.
FS13 - Xbox 360
FS15 - Xbox 360/Xbox One
FS17 - Xbox One
FS19 - PC

PC specs: i5-8600k, M22 Kraken AIO cooler, 16GB ddr4 ram, RTX 2070 Super, 256 GB SSD, 1 TB HDD
wombles

Post by wombles »

I have FS on both PC and console though I only play multiplayer with my son on console, I do prefer the PC as I can mod the maps to my liking. If you have two laptops that can handle FS then that's the way too go, if they aren't powerful enough I'd stick to console version for multiplayer.
OlavEmil

Post by OlavEmil »

The only reason FS exists for console, is that it is a good and popular game. When games become good and popular, console players also want in on it, and developers can make more money by releasing their game on multiple platforms, covering a bigger player / customer base.

Console has absolutely no advantages over PC for FS. PC, on the other hand, has a number of advantages over console. So if you have a PC that can run FS19 reasonably well, there is no reason whatsoever to go for console rather than PC.

In my opinion, the FS series would benefit from being PC exclusive, so that Giants could focus on game development alone, as well as not having to hold back to be able to work on the older hardware consoles consist of. On the other hand, they probably make good money on the console version, and without money there won't be a game at all.
wombles

Post by wombles »

Farming simulator has a good proportion of console players, there's no way Giants would go back to PC only game.
fenixguy

Post by fenixguy »

Yes you should. As long as you're somewhat tech-savvy and don't mind the occasional troubleshooting session, PC is the way to go.

FWIW, I've played on both and went from PC to console. I enjoy both platforms.
FS22 is the best one yet. Fight me!
FarmerLee73

Post by FarmerLee73 »

I have this game on both PC and XB1 but can never play it on console as it just feels like half a game with most mods that I use missing on the console version.