fs 19 physics discussion

astro80
Posts: 17
Joined: Sat Jun 04, 2016 6:31 pm

fs 19 physics discussion

Post by astro80 » Wed Aug 28, 2019 7:44 pm

did you like the physics of the game? i try to play fs19 but without MR for me it`s hard to enjoy this version. the tractors seems to be overpowered and the implements seems to have no weight. it is useless to use a weight with a plow for example. i like the new graphic and other new implementation but for me it`s very arcade game. i hope we have mr mod or something like this. :sadnew:

DirectCedar
Posts: 631
Joined: Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:47 am

Re: fs 19 physics discussion

Post by DirectCedar » Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:07 pm

astro80 wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 7:44 pm
did you like the physics of the game? i try to play fs19 but without MR for me it`s hard to enjoy this version. the tractors seems to be overpowered and the implements seems to have no weight. it is useless to use a weight with a plow for example. i like the new graphic and other new implementation but for me it`s very arcade game. i hope we have mr mod or something like this. :sadnew:
I feel the same way. I was lukewarm about MR on 17 until I got used to it but now it is just glaring to me how immersive it was and how much more authentic it was having to plan the right equipment and right configuration and right operating procedure for each job.

19 has made some nice updates but the inability to play with MR physics after so long in 17 with it is a real missing link in my opinion. I wish Giants had or could incorporate a toggle for "Traditional Physics" and "More Realistic Physics". Then the lawnmower-racers and the serious simulationists could both have their physics cake and eat it too :lol: :lol:

User avatar
Mobias
Posts: 518
Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2016 9:43 pm

Re: fs 19 physics discussion

Post by Mobias » Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:49 pm

I kind of enjoyed MR in FS-17 but it was also a pain at times and if you used it it did massively reduce the amount of vehicles and tools that you could use to those that had MR profiles written for them. It always annoyed me that it wasn't always very accurate. The maxed out horse power Quadtrack couldn't pull the very largest seeders if I remember rightly and there were some other annoying inconsistencies that limited what you could do sometimes. To be honest I'm enjoying the FS-19 physics more. They definitely seem to be at a kind of half way point between the almost non existent physics of FS-17 and MR. I'm sure people wouldn't complain too much if they were even closer to MR though so maybe Giants will go in that direction in the future.

DirectCedar
Posts: 631
Joined: Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:47 am

Re: fs 19 physics discussion

Post by DirectCedar » Wed Aug 28, 2019 9:46 pm

Mobias wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:49 pm
I kind of enjoyed MR in FS-17 but it was also a pain at times and if you used it it did massively reduce the amount of vehicles and tools that you could use to those that had MR profiles written for them.
In my experience you didn't have to use only vehicles that were "MR ready" in order to play using the MR engine in 17. In fact I have a couple maps going that use almost only mods that are not specifically MR ready. They perform with varying degrees of accuracy compared to similar base-game vehicles that the MR scripts specifically update, but they all perform pretty close to what I expected with MR, and none yet have caused any real issues.

Gravity was a definite pain in MR17 though :biggrin2: as so many maps have totally unrealistic hills (i.e. lots of roads and fields on slopes that in real life are so steep could only be used for grazing, or skiing :lol: ) Working on some of those was a genuine challenge and required quite specific planning. Combines and forage harvesters seemed the biggest challenge and in the worst cases I have turned MR off just while completing those operations. On more realistic slopes and especially when ground moisture is variable, MR was huge fun. Even the crazy slopes could sometimes be accommodated by hooking the bigger tractor to the smaller implement that only gets used that way on that one field, or working across the slope, or sometimes even going up the slope out of the ground and only working downhill. All tedious things but in their way all realistic solutions that are sometimes applied to those scenarios in real life. So even working around those limitations was sometimes fun.

I agree that base game physics in 19 seem better than base game 17. For me though it still doesn't scratch that itch of needing the right tire configuration and the right ballast to match the tractor and the job that you needed in MR17 (and the right transmission in the right gear with the correct combination of diff locks when you also played with Gearbox, which was another fantastic step towards realism in 17).

astro80
Posts: 17
Joined: Sat Jun 04, 2016 6:31 pm

Re: fs 19 physics discussion

Post by astro80 » Thu Aug 29, 2019 1:14 am

Were is dural, we miss you so much. Please come back :frown:

User avatar
Beastbubba
Posts: 1116
Joined: Fri Jul 03, 2015 5:09 pm

Re: fs 19 physics discussion

Post by Beastbubba » Thu Aug 29, 2019 2:19 am

Physics in general need alot of improvment. Handling logs, pallets, and especially bales can be very frustrating at times due to the poor physics.

For field work, the game needs dynamic terrain. To make tire selection for traction really matter and also having to worry about getting stuck would be nice. I say this because of the implement discussion above.
PC gamer.

User avatar
Mobias
Posts: 518
Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2016 9:43 pm

Re: fs 19 physics discussion

Post by Mobias » Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:40 am

Dynamic terrain will be the next big leap for the franchise I think. Giants have said a few times they're working on it.

Valko_inen
Posts: 15
Joined: Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:06 pm

Re: fs 19 physics discussion

Post by Valko_inen » Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:48 am

Dynamic Terrain, yes!
But may I bring up the dreaded word? Consoles? They seem to struggle with the physics-heavy side of things

User avatar
IceUul
Posts: 598
Joined: Sun Nov 25, 2018 8:07 pm
Location: North Part Of EU

Re: fs 19 physics discussion

Post by IceUul » Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:49 am

I agree, than FS19 physics needs improvments and i am happy that it got improved over FS17 basic game. Feels more simulation now. But to be real, there are always some issues regarding to gameplay.
In some point the games gameplay starts to suffer.

Also i think next FS game needs three big improvements: dynamic terrain, seasons and physics. How these 3 things work together will only make jump big enough to abandon FS19.

User avatar
IceUul
Posts: 598
Joined: Sun Nov 25, 2018 8:07 pm
Location: North Part Of EU

Re: fs 19 physics discussion

Post by IceUul » Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:51 am

Valko_inen wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:48 am
Dynamic Terrain, yes!
But may I bring up the dreaded word? Consoles? They seem to struggle with the physics-heavy side of things
Next gen consoles will not! So let's hope that next FS series will be on next gen consoles already.

Ado239
Posts: 45
Joined: Fri Nov 23, 2018 10:57 am
Location: Ireland

Re: fs 19 physics discussion

Post by Ado239 » Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:28 am

I'd love if bales actually reacted like bales and not like cardboard boxes in the wind. I've had square bales fall off the back of the baler like they were in a hurricane. I know its just a game (one that i love) and this all might seem just trivial to the next person but Its been a peev of mine since i started on FS15
PS4 player. Case is ace but fear the Deere! *thumbsup*

User avatar
this_is_gav
Posts: 431
Joined: Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:36 pm

Re: fs 19 physics discussion

Post by this_is_gav » Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:45 am

Beastbubba wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 2:19 am
Physics in general need alot of improvment. Handling logs, pallets, and especially bales can be very frustrating at times due to the poor physics.
Bale physics, especially round ones, are much improved in FS19. They now feel as though they have a degree of weight to them when dropped so they don't role away as often as they do in FS17.

As Ado239 mentions above, square bales still glitch out the back of a baler frequently, but other than that I've no complaints with bale physics.

Ado239
Posts: 45
Joined: Fri Nov 23, 2018 10:57 am
Location: Ireland

Re: fs 19 physics discussion

Post by Ado239 » Thu Aug 29, 2019 11:45 am

this_is_gav wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:45 am
Beastbubba wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 2:19 am
Physics in general need alot of improvment. Handling logs, pallets, and especially bales can be very frustrating at times due to the poor physics.
Bale physics, especially round ones, are much improved in FS19. They now feel as though they have a degree of weight to them when dropped so they don't role away as often as they do in FS17.

As Ado239 mentions above, square bales still glitch out the back of a baler frequently, but other than that I've no complaints with bale physics.

Not just that but its as if they have no mass. Bump off one and they take off. Do that IRL and you'll know about it. And round bales roll far too easily.
PS4 player. Case is ace but fear the Deere! *thumbsup*

User avatar
this_is_gav
Posts: 431
Joined: Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:36 pm

Re: fs 19 physics discussion

Post by this_is_gav » Thu Aug 29, 2019 11:51 am

Ado239 wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 11:45 am
And round bales roll far too easily.
As of FS19 I disagree with that. I think that they're, largely, about right in regards to how easily they roll now. With the stock equipment you can get away with unloading on a moderate downhill area and they'll stick.

That said, in real life, as I'm sure you know, you'd angle the bale against the hill anyway. Do that in-game and it doesn't matter how easily the bales roll.

I do agree with you that the mass of bales isn't represented or perceived well. If bales were treated as the tyres are (apply weight and react accordingly) rather than as a solid and relatively light object, then they would look and react more realistically. The issue there is I'd imagine it would take an immense amount of compute power to calculate and display dynamic mass on hundreds of bales at any one point - power that most users simply don't possess.

Ado239
Posts: 45
Joined: Fri Nov 23, 2018 10:57 am
Location: Ireland

Re: fs 19 physics discussion

Post by Ado239 » Thu Aug 29, 2019 1:10 pm

this_is_gav wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 11:51 am
Ado239 wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 11:45 am
And round bales roll far too easily.
As of FS19 I disagree with that. I think that they're, largely, about right in regards to how easily they roll now. With the stock equipment you can get away with unloading on a moderate downhill area and they'll stick.

That said, in real life, as I'm sure you know, you'd angle the bale against the hill anyway. Do that in-game and it doesn't matter how easily the bales roll.

I do agree with you that the mass of bales isn't represented or perceived well. If bales were treated as the tyres are (apply weight and react accordingly) rather than as a solid and relatively light object, then they would look and react more realistically. The issue there is I'd imagine it would take an immense amount of compute power to calculate and display dynamic mass on hundreds of bales at any one point - power that most users simply don't possess.
I know exactly where you're coming from. But i don't mean a proper hill i mean like on a slight incline. A real bale and real ground aren't as absolutely solid as in game so a round bale won't roll as easy.
PS4 player. Case is ace but fear the Deere! *thumbsup*

Post Reply