Crop Withering - Seasons

FarmerJimbob

Crop Withering - Seasons

Post by FarmerJimbob »

So, I'm in year 2 of seasons and I have all my fields planted with winter crops. No failed germination, all treated with herbicide, all fields a nice deep blue and dark green. Then in mid/late spring suddenly quite large and numerous patches of wilted crop start appearing all over the fields and I have several more transitions until I can harvest. Is this typical in the 19 version of seasons? Is there anything to be done to counter it? Seems to me like it was a bad idea to plant winter crops and in future I should just wait for the spring?
cwattyeso

Re: Crop Withering - Seasons

Post by cwattyeso »

I'm finding planting late Autumn or Spring has no effect or difference on the outcome of the PCF (patchy crop failure as the seasons team call it.) It just happens at random to fields, and the amount of patchy failed areas is random. My only complaint with the system is I hate how all the patches are perfectly square in shape and look completely unnatural and that even after you have harvested the fields later on the patches don't disappear and even after ploughing a field the patchy textures remain until you seed again. Also the patchy areas make it quite a pain to get your lime and fertiliser states correct as they seem to prevent any material applied to those areas being registered.
Check out my YouTube Channel for Farming Simulator and other Gaming Let's Plays and Videos at https://www.youtube.com/c/CwattyesoGamingforFun :D

Also be sure to check out my Kick Channel for my Farming Simulator Live Streams and Multiplayer Server at https://www.kick.com/cwattyeso :gamer:

GIANTS SOFTWARE Personal Partner Code: CWATTYESO *thumbsup*
FarmBoss

Post by FarmBoss »

The main reason i uninstalled seasons is due to crop withering. They never should have removed the ability to turn it off.
bossmanslim

Post by bossmanslim »

My experience is that the way withering is implemented is that each "square" of field does a check to see if the temperature is moisture is above a certain threshold. If it is below the threshold, then it runs a calculation to determine if the "square" withers. I suspect the chance is based on the tolerance in the crop planting screen for temperature and drought resistance. As you can't harvest anything in the default geo in the spring/summer, planting crops for harvest in the fall is fairly worthless.
FarmBoss

Post by FarmBoss »

Drmattymd wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 2:47 pm You couldnt turn it off in 17 either
True, but I meant I wish they hadn't removed the base game ability to turn withering off. Withering should be a choice even with seasons installed.
FarmerJimbob

Post by FarmerJimbob »

Drmattymd wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 2:47 pm You couldnt turn it off in 17 either
No, but in 17 the rules around withering were simpler.

I don’t mind the odd patch of field getting destroyed due to uncontrollable forces or large patches being destroyed if you fail to do something but when all you can do is sit and wait until harvest time seeing large areas of field becoming worthless when you’ve done everything right is quite annoying. I like the way Farm Manager 2018 works where it gives warning of a problem on a field and affords you the opportunity to put it right.
Sir_Kutz

Post by Sir_Kutz »

The only time I've have withering with season is when I didn't pay attention to the planting season.
kwaka

Post by kwaka »

Do you mean "harvesting season"? Rather than planting season.
Im under the impression that a crop doesnt wither until the crop is outside the harvest season in the seasons hud. Subject to temp/weather conditions.
FarmerJimbob

Post by FarmerJimbob »

Sir_Kutz wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 6:20 am The only time I've have withering with season is when I didn't pay attention to the planting season.
For wheat, barley, oats & canola (the crops I planted) not paying attention to the planting season could only be planting in summer (standard geo). In winter you'd likely not be allowed to work the ground at all (frozen) or the crops would fail to germinate (too cold). I planted in Autumn, when the temps were above minimum, and I suffered no failed germination. Withering occurred the following Spring/Summer. AI fields suffered the same.
Thefisherj

Post by Thefisherj »

FarmerJimbob wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 1:15 pm
Sir_Kutz wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 6:20 am The only time I've have withering with season is when I didn't pay attention to the planting season.
For wheat, barley, oats & canola (the crops I planted) not paying attention to the planting season could only be planting in summer (standard geo). In winter you'd likely not be allowed to work the ground at all (frozen) or the crops would fail to germinate (too cold). I planted in Autumn, when the temps were above minimum, and I suffered no failed germination. Withering occurred the following Spring/Summer. AI fields suffered the same.
You mean spring?
FarmerJimbob

Post by FarmerJimbob »

Thefisherj wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 7:21 pm
FarmerJimbob wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 1:15 pm
You mean spring?
I mean Spring for what?? I meant just what I wrote.
Thefisherj

Post by Thefisherj »

Wheat barley oats and canola can only be planted in spring and autumn not summer on default geo
FarmerJimbob

Post by FarmerJimbob »

Thefisherj wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:07 am Wheat barley oats and canola can only be planted in spring and autumn not summer on default geo
Yeah, I know. Sir_Kutz seemed to be suggesting this only happened to him when he didn’t pay attention to the planting season. My response was saying that could only be summer because in winter the ground is frozen and spring and autumn are valid planting seasons. I’ve never tried planting in the summer so I don’t know if it’s even possible but that would be the only possible out-of-season planting possibility.
Thefisherj

Post by Thefisherj »

FarmerJimbob wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 7:48 pm
Thefisherj wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:07 am Wheat barley oats and canola can only be planted in spring and autumn not summer on default geo
Yeah, I know. Sir_Kutz seemed to be suggesting this only happened to him when he didn’t pay attention to the planting season. My response was saying that could only be summer because in winter the ground is frozen and spring and autumn are valid planting seasons. I’ve never tried planting in the summer so I don’t know if it’s even possible but that would be the only possible out-of-season planting possibility.
Sorry I misunderstood what you said.
cwattyeso

Post by cwattyeso »

One thing I am finding funny, confusing and also frustrating with the whole Crop Withering and Seasons is how bad the AI Farmers and the Contracts/Missions screen is at handling this element of the game.

I'm in Mid-Winter of the game, and some fields around the map are showing as being withered, because the AI farmers obviously never harvested them.

However oddly when you check the contracts screen, the farmer is willing to pay and incredible amount of money to harvest their withered crop, which isn't even possible, even if you wanted to exploit them.
Check out my YouTube Channel for Farming Simulator and other Gaming Let's Plays and Videos at https://www.youtube.com/c/CwattyesoGamingforFun :D

Also be sure to check out my Kick Channel for my Farming Simulator Live Streams and Multiplayer Server at https://www.kick.com/cwattyeso :gamer:

GIANTS SOFTWARE Personal Partner Code: CWATTYESO *thumbsup*