12 mature trees only 23k?

DembeRed

12 mature trees only 23k?

Post by DembeRed »

Hello everyone,,

I would like to know how the experience with wood is with you ?!

I planted seedlings in the MP Game a few days ago that were mature today, so I felled them and brought them to the sawmill.

Altogether there were 12 fully grown trees, and then they were not touched with the chainsaw. They hung out of the trailer behind almost twice as long.
It was a struggle to get this to the sawmill, I thought now I'm making big money, but after I got there, I only get close to 23,000?!

If I take 6 trees from the roadside, which are only half that size, and drive them away, I already get 16k.

How can that be?
Was not there paid attention to the right balance?

Or am I doing something wrong??
Last edited by DembeRed on Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aholz89

Re: 12 mature trees only 23k?

Post by Aholz89 »

Did you de-branch them?

I would also recommend to cut into smaller pieces. I usually sell them in 5-6m lengths for a nice profit.
Came here for information, stayed for the entertainment.
Rasping rabbit

Post by Rasping rabbit »

I agree. I have found 6 metre lengths about right.

It was a mechanic in a few previous versions that shorter, straighter and ‘cleaner’ logs were worth more. I guess it’s because the guys at the sawmill have to do less work?
ThatCanadianGuy

Post by ThatCanadianGuy »

They have to be a clean usable log for the most profit, just like in real life.
Former real life farmer of lentils, mustard, and wheat on the Canadian prairies.
DirectCedar

Post by DirectCedar »

This has been my experience as well. The same volume of wood, cut into straight, debranched 5-8m lengths, will bring ~2-3x more money than full-length logs. Also cutting the "point" off the end of the tree (the part that disappears when you cut it, the same way branches do) increases the value of the remaining log - the mill seems to treat this tip as a branch which decreases the value of the log. Likewise making cuts perfectly straight preserves value - there is a penalty applied to logs that are not cut perpendicular to their length.

In 17 someone did all the research and actually dug up the $/unit volume value of different length logs. It was highest in that 5-8m length range and dropped off sharply above and below that length. I imagine there is a similar scale in 19 although I don't know the exact values.