All in on silage?

EyesJoshuaMF

Re: All in on silage?

Post by EyesJoshuaMF »

On my oakfied save, I mainly do a few hundred silage bales a year as my primary income, and a pit on first cut at the beginning of summer for my small number of cows. As oakfield has two pits, I can sell the rest of the excess from the last year in spring/summer downtime.

Also I do a little bit of contracting during harvest season and autumn.

So far I have upgraded from two green tractors to a lovely fleet of three Valtras and a fastrac, now trialing a couple of arable fields too.
Player since fs2013

👍Massey Ferguson
👍Valtra
FarmDemAcres

Post by FarmDemAcres »

Ado239 wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 2:21 pm
Thats exactly why i stopped. I just can't get the hang of the leveller and i keep getting stuck. Baling might takea little longer but its easier.
One key to using the leveler I use is to make sure you only push a very small amount, say 1/10 of the blade height at a time, then back up and lower the blade by a very tiny increment and repeat. Also if you are very careful to tip the chaff in a long even strip rather than piles, and compact after each load, I have not found it necessary to use a leveler at all.
FarmDemAcres

Post by FarmDemAcres »

Thats exactly why i stopped. I just can't get the hang of the leveller and i keep getting stuck. Baling might takea little longer but its easier.
One key to using the leveler I use is to make sure you only push a very small amount, say 1/10 of the blade height at a time, then back up and lower the blade by a very tiny increment and repeat. Also if you are very careful to tip the chaff in a long even strip rather than piles, and compact after each load, I have not found it necessary to use a leveler at all.
DirectCedar

Post by DirectCedar »

Personally I enjoy levelling and packing pits. It's perhaps the only task in the game that actually requires skill :lol: :lol: (except maybe loader work, but the nutso physics of stacking or unstacking anything make loader work pretty unsatisfying no matter how good at it you are). I found it fun practicing with a front blade and rear compactor to get a nice smooth uniform pit. But then I like packing silage in real life for the same reason :biggrin2:
Ado239

Post by Ado239 »

FarmDemAcres wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:29 pm
Yeah i watched a youtube vid of a lad explaining it and still couldn't do it
PS4 player. Case is ace but fear the Deere! *thumbsup*
Crazof

Post by Crazof »

You don't really need the leveler, as I mentioned above I'm using 3 different bunkers on marwell and I don't have one
Rasping rabbit

Post by Rasping rabbit »

I remember on lone oak in fs17 I used a big bud as my leveller. Worked well.
CMDRTAKEDOWN

Post by CMDRTAKEDOWN »

Wow just sold my first load of silage on R.D.C at the factory and it has no limit so dumping is way easier. 56K per trailer load using the Lizard Idealiner 133 I'm going all-in.
PS4
PS5
hun3

Post by hun3 »

cwattyeso wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 5:21 pm My business model in Fs19 is now to make as much silage as possible, so grass, straw and chaff going into a Fermenting Machine to make Silage, which is then sold to the BGA for a nice amount of money. I then have a Fertiliser Production Machine which takes that lovely Digestate from the BGA and turns it into Fertiliser that I can then use to refill all my machines at the farm, meaning no more spending money on fertliser, also I produce that much fertiliser from the Silage to Digestate to Fertiliser process, I can actually sell off hundreds of thousands of fertiliser at a time which makes millions in cash. So for me on my farms Fertiliser is our most profitable crop, export and sale. Everything we plant and grow is geared up for the production of fertiliser.
Interesting I have to try this...where do you sell the solid fertilizer?
SJ_Sathanas

Post by SJ_Sathanas »

Yeah that is interesting. I don't use digestate on fields as I don't like constantly refilling the spreader so I usually just ignore the big pile of digestate building up.
Illinois Farmer

Post by Illinois Farmer »

SJ, get the slurry trader and you can sell the digestate. It won't be a huge amount of money, but it is better than just sitting there.
1300 acre farm, finish out just about 10,000 hogs a year, 200 cattle, and xbox one and pc user.