If I had one critique of the game, trees.

chedly_farms

If I had one critique of the game, trees.

Post by chedly_farms »

Now this is my opinion and it may not be a game breaker for most people, but to an extent, it is for me. I strongly dislike that trees disappear when you get a certain distance away from them. I play exclusively on Marwell and Osina because I feel the map makers changed some settings so that their trees don't dissapear. But on Ravenport, when the game first came out, the trees drove me crazy. If was working the fields 14,15,16 on Ravenport, the trees between me and the Biogas plant all disappeared and there was just a grey rectangle showing off into the distance where the biogas plant was. Is it me or does that bother anyone else? I've gone back and played 17 a few times and that never seemed to happen. Especially when comparing Old Stream Farm 17 and 19. It's probably my OCD kicking in, but that is a real issue with me. Does anyone have a reason for the trees disappearing? I assume its to help with memory, and I don't know if lag would be worse, it probably would be. I just want to know how anyone else feels about it.
Currently Playing on XBoxOne : Elm Creek

-----> And "Thank You Modders" for your contributions <----
SJ_Sathanas

Re: If I had one critique of the game, trees.

Post by SJ_Sathanas »

Equally, it's jarring to be able to see your vehicles off in the distance when you know they are inside buildings....
fenixguy

Post by fenixguy »

Yes it's draw distance and it affects how well the game runs. I'll take invisible trees over even lower frame rates.

Of course, if I had only one critique of the game, I would probably play it more.
FS22 is the best one yet. Fight me!
redglasses

Post by redglasses »

^^this, the draw distance has to be this way for the game to run decent. If you want a bigger distance you need a pc, Xbox one x or ps4 pro
Playing Lincoln Creek on PC
Upload your screenshots here: IMG server
My Discord
Remember there is no need to spread your manure around the forums :wink3:
Jack of all trades, master of the skid steer
Tylercheesey1986

Post by Tylercheesey1986 »

Does a one x or ps4 pro give better draw distances? Never realised this, maybe I should trade in the one s and upgrade
Aussie who loves himself a 7790 JD cotton picker, 100ac was most i got off in one day. (22.5hrs)
Currently a 300 ac irrigated beef farmer with Hereford Angus x.
50-120 head.
Gear-MF i148, 7 disc offset plow, fert/seed broadcaster, harrow bars.
Only crop for improving grazing capacity so don't need much.
Aussie farmer who thinks FS 19 rulz :gamer:
Xbox gamer tag- TopCheesey420
SJ_Sathanas

Post by SJ_Sathanas »

Tylercheesey1986 wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 4:16 am Does a one x or ps4 pro give better draw distances? Never realised this, maybe I should trade in the one s and upgrade
If you're going to upgrade you may as well go pc.
Tylercheesey1986

Post by Tylercheesey1986 »

True
Aussie who loves himself a 7790 JD cotton picker, 100ac was most i got off in one day. (22.5hrs)
Currently a 300 ac irrigated beef farmer with Hereford Angus x.
50-120 head.
Gear-MF i148, 7 disc offset plow, fert/seed broadcaster, harrow bars.
Only crop for improving grazing capacity so don't need much.
Aussie farmer who thinks FS 19 rulz :gamer:
Xbox gamer tag- TopCheesey420
chedly_farms

Post by chedly_farms »

redglasses wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 2:20 am ^^this, the draw distance has to be this way for the game to run decent. If you want a bigger distance you need a pc, Xbox one x or ps4 pro
As I mentioned in my post different maps have changed the draw distance such as Marwell, Osina, and from what I can tell that Hungarian map that dropped yesterday. I have 360 hours on Marwell with almost 200 bales and a stuff ton of equipment at my main farm and I don't have lag issues at all. All this on my Xbox One S.
Currently Playing on XBoxOne : Elm Creek

-----> And "Thank You Modders" for your contributions <----
billy_roberts_81

Post by billy_roberts_81 »

Draw distance or clip distance is applied to every single model on a map, including equipment and vehicles.

A mod map maker can adjust these to whatever value they wish.

As has been pointed out, higher clip distances mean more objects being rendered, meaning less FPS.

On PC you can adjust the draw distance in your ingame graphic settings.

If its on 100% that means it takes the same clip distance value of a tree (default is 599m) and clips it at that distance.
If you had it set to 150% draw distance it would clip much further out. (898.5m)

I believe console have been limited to at most 100% draw distance, possibly even less. This is to make sure your game doesn't lag badly.

The downside to extreme clip distances is you lose the immersion of a map.
But on the upside it should hopefully play smoothly.

Saying that I've seen 1 mod map maker achieve a highly detailed map for Fs17 (not released) that looks amazing and yet has shown it runs at FPS comparable to a default GIANTs map if not better.

So better is possible than what GIANTS do, they just choose to play it safe for consoles sake.
Procobator

Post by Procobator »

Trees have different levels of detail depending on how far away from them you are. Even extending the lower resolution detail level clip distance has a dramatic effect in performance. I increased it on my map a little bit but if I extended it to the distance I wanted to it would have tanked frame rates.
billy_roberts_81

Post by billy_roberts_81 »

Procobator wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 7:22 pm Trees have different levels of detail depending on how far away from them you are. Even extending the lower resolution detail level clip distance has a dramatic effect in performance. I increased it on my map a little bit but if I extended it to the distance I wanted to it would have tanked frame rates.
Rather than extend the detail level on a tree extend the LOD version of the tree.
The LOD tree model is only a few polys so far less taxing.
You can adjust your LOD settings in the graphics.
You can also edit all tree LODs in the map.i3d in notepad++.
throsbi

Post by throsbi »

before changing lod on anything I suggest looking at graphics settings. Turn all settings to max, load the game and if you do not get the same performance as default settings DO NOT change any lod settings. You will just regret it later.

simply changing lod on trees or other objects may not be noticeable at first but driving thru the forest later or adding a bunch of placeables may turn the map into a stutter fest.

Just something to think about. You may have a NASA rocket science performance busting PC and turn it into a shoe box.
Procobator

Post by Procobator »

billy_roberts_81 wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 11:39 am
Procobator wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 7:22 pm Trees have different levels of detail depending on how far away from them you are. Even extending the lower resolution detail level clip distance has a dramatic effect in performance. I increased it on my map a little bit but if I extended it to the distance I wanted to it would have tanked frame rates.
Rather than extend the detail level on a tree extend the LOD version of the tree.
The LOD tree model is only a few polys so far less taxing.
You can adjust your LOD settings in the graphics.
You can also edit all tree LODs in the map.i3d in notepad++.
FYI LOD = Level of Detail. Your reply to my post states the exact same thing as what I said except I didn’t explicitly state what should do.

Increasing the LOD settings in the game will increase all models using the LOD function such as foliage and buildings and will have a significant impact on your frame rates.

For reference you can check out the Great Smoky Mountain map on American Eagles Modding website. I changed the LOD1 clip distances out a bit but and I think I’m close to where there are decent results without tanking frames. That map is very hilly and I added tons of trees so your mileage may vary.