The cycle needs to change.

chedly_farms

The cycle needs to change.

Post by chedly_farms »

With Farming Simulator 17 and now with 19 we have a pattern/cycle going that I'm not too sure is good for the fandom. 17 was a fantastic game, and the mods that came with it from the modders were easily fantastic. Fast forward to 19.... And while we have a lot of new cool mods, thank you to the modders again, we are getting ones rehashed from 17, which are all awesome as well.

But I'm noticing, that if this cycle continues, FS21 will have a lot of rehashed 17 and 19 mods. I'm not saying this is bad, because we all have our favorite mods, but what I am saying is, the game will eventually become distastefully stale. I feel a lot of energy and effort goes into bringing back something we already had in a previous version, were as if in some way, the game didn't start over every 2 years, modders could create new things without the fandom hounding them for old things to be rehashed. I guess I have BSM and the MF pack in mind as I type this. As I believe their intent is to trickle out, little by little, all their cool mods from that pack into 19. That was a cool pack and I'm thankful for it, but if the game didn't change, they could focus on new things.

I also understand that Giants needs to make money as well and releasing a game every two years seems to be that way. I'm just wondering that maybe if they realeased a new game in the form of a DLC/add on could be cooler. Like what if 21 was a full on vintage DLC (with 2 new maps, and hundreds of prices of vintage equipment, that could coincide with 19. I don't know in my head it would be cool, but I imagine a DLC is not as lucrative as a whole new game.

Or am I wrong?
Currently Playing on XBoxOne : Elm Creek

-----> And "Thank You Modders" for your contributions <----
glamdring27

Re: The cycle needs to change.

Post by glamdring27 »

I'd prefer it if they worked like some other games do of having just a base game with updates and DLCs that come out for that, but I doubt it's going to happen. There are plenty of games that come out once per year where you basically buy the same game every year with a few additions and changes. Usually is areas like graphics, that add almost nothing to the game for me. Then again, every time I return to Eurotruck Simulator after a break I have to mess around for ages sorting out updated mods. At least within a release of FS you don't usually get updates that constantly break existing mods and cause you to have to wait for new versions of them.
PrincessJessi84

Post by PrincessJessi84 »

yep.. the recycling of mods wont change.. and there is plenty of new stuff coming out so I doubt it will become stale.. but yea if u look on some of the sites there r mods from way back when.. even before fs15.. and they have been updated JUST enough to work in fs19 but look like they came from a looney toons cartoon :confusednew: :lol:
https://fs19communitytrader.freeforums.net/
PC
PC - Ryzen 7-2700 8core, 32gb ram, 2x2tb SSD, RTX 2080 SUPER 8gb, GX-850 Gold PSU
Displays - ASUS ROG Strix XG43VQ 43” Super Ultra-Wide Curved HDR Gaming Monitor 120Hz (3840 x 1200)
Samsung CFG70 27" Curved gaming Monitor 144HZ (1920 x 1080)
2x 24" Dell Monitors
Controllers - T150 Pro, Side Panel, TrackIR7, TM Stick
FarmBoss

Post by FarmBoss »

Ahh you've noticed.
The life of a Farming Simulator fan, the never ending cycle.
Step 1. New release day, PAY for base game (minor change from previous version).
Step 2. Get bored after a couple weeks when you really notice how important mods are.
Step 3. Wait for mods from previous versions to release to carry the game.
Step 4. PAY almost same price as base game for "Platinum" mods that can't be edited.
Step 5. Listen and read all the HYPE for the upcoming new version, drool over the CGI trailer.
Step 6. New release day, PAY for base game (minor change from previous version).
punchi

Post by punchi »

Thats the cycle of any video game...
Bf, cod, fifa and so on :D
redglasses

Post by redglasses »

I made a poll here for sorta the same thing a little while ago. The majority wanted a 3 year cycle, and honestly I think that would be best too. Move to a 3 year cycle and make 2 “platinum” dlc’s per game. This way you get more time to develop the game, still get money, and big mods like seasons are better then, we get to use them 2 years instead of just 1.
Playing Lincoln Creek on PC
Upload your screenshots here: IMG server
My Discord
Remember there is no need to spread your manure around the forums :wink3:
Jack of all trades, master of the skid steer
FarmBoss

Post by FarmBoss »

redglasses wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 6:19 pm I made a poll here for sorta the same thing a little while ago. The majority wanted a 3 year cycle, and honestly I think that would be best too. Move to a 3 year cycle and make 2 “platinum” dlc’s per game. This way you get more time to develop the game, still get money, and big mods like seasons are better then, we get to use them 2 years instead of just 1.
It sounds good and all, but Giants will not change things to get paid every 3 years instead of every 2.
Also, there is barely enough that can be added to warrant 1 Platinum edition let alone 2, given the number of FREE mods.
FarmBoss

Post by FarmBoss »

punchi wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 3:58 pm Thats the cycle of any video game...
I thought it was taboo to compare this game with other games.
I guess as long as it's in support of the game then it's ok.
Of course you're right though.
hun3

Post by hun3 »

punchi wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 3:58 pm Thats the cycle of any video game...
Yup after all people need to remember its a business.
george.earlslight

Post by george.earlslight »

This is the financial model Giants has decided and I'm guessing it's working out for them.
Other simulator companies like SCS with the truck simulators, have much longer base game release periods but push out more payable DLCs.
Comparing with non-simulators is pointless in my opinion as the demographics are totally different most of the time.
All the above being said I'm sure the game and brand reputation would only benefit if there was a way to re-release popular mods (first 100 top downloaded mods for example) on release day.
this_is_gav

Post by this_is_gav »

Given a good mod of a tractor, for example, takes several months of work to model and texture, it's obviously much more efficient to convert an existing model from previous games. There are plenty of mods based on FS 2013 and even FS2011 mods out there.

While it would be nice to have fewer mods of a higher standard, equally modders would then be barraged by complaints that their more detailed mods use far more slots, so there is an upside to modders updating existing mods.