256x map in discussion stage

Dairydeere

Re: 256x map in discussion stage

Post by Dairydeere »

I'm surprised someone thought that was a good idea, if I'm being painfully honest. The idea of a 256x map means that the amount of detail required to make it work would be insane. And the crop densities would have to be upscaled so much that a small pile of grass could spawn 3 yards from where you dump it. 4x maps are a bit of a push for the game and PC, which is why the amount of 16x maps out there is so little. Even if your computer could power it, you would be discouraged by the playability of such a map. In addition, just take a moment to realize how much time it might take. North Dakota Modding and Mapping has been supposedly working on a 64x map for almost two years, and they have not showed any signs of releasing it soon. A 256x map is four times the size of a 64x, meaning that you would easily spend 6-8 years working on a project that probably isn't even worth the amount of time you'll play it. Just not a sensible option
Dairy farmer, college student, part-time modder, always looking to drive a tractor

Discord Server
Facebook page

Where should you download mods from? Try this! - A Guide to Respectful Downloads and Original Mods

Driving up a wall because my brain turned off the gravity

Happy farming!
redglasses

Post by redglasses »

The article states it was basically just a meme for twitch. I think the only reasonable way you could make a map like this would be to have a group of ~50 people working 40 hours a week to make it. No part time modder will ever get this to work. And even once it's done there is no way to really play it, can you imagine taking an hour and 15 minutes to cross the map, some people don't even have play sessions that long. Just for reference ghost recon wildlands is known as one of the all time biggest video game maps and that is 24kmX24km, the only way to play that game is to do a lot of fast traveling and using helos to get around to medium distance locations.
Playing Lincoln Creek on PC
Upload your screenshots here: IMG server
My Discord
Remember there is no need to spread your manure around the forums :wink3:
Jack of all trades, master of the skid steer
ASOLANDRI

Post by ASOLANDRI »

redglasses wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 7:18 am Just for reference ghost recon wildlands is known as one of the all time biggest video game maps and that is 24kmX24km,
Just Cause 3 is even larger than that, infact the map is about 400 Square Miles. Even consoles can even handle that much size because I think its more optimized than Farming Simulator 19.
Greetings, from Central Texas! :hi:

Back to the digital farm with the new 65" TCL 4K HDR TV. PS5 *thumbsup*

Map/Playtime:
Griffin, Indiana 22: 103 Hours
Edgewater, SK: 79 Hours
Ohio Richlands: 78 Hours
Alma, Missouri: 50 Hours
Elmcreek: 32 Hours
Big Flats, Texas: 20 Hours
Guil

Post by Guil »

Hahahahahaha that didn't take long
Mwal

Post by Mwal »

I would have to guess no mans sky takes the cake on biggest. With 4 billion galaxies I’m pretty sure they said it would take 100’s of billions of years to visit everyone even for just a second. Pretty sure a couple of the old elder scroll games were in the thousands of square miles as well.
Drmattymd

Post by Drmattymd »

ASOLANDRI wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 7:53 am
redglasses wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 7:18 am Just for reference ghost recon wildlands is known as one of the all time biggest video game maps and that is 24kmX24km,
Just Cause 3 is even larger than that, infact the map is about 400 Square Miles. Even consoles can even handle that much size because I think its more optimized than Farming Simulator 19.
except its all broken up into smaller playable sections
Playing on PC and PS4
Mwal

Post by Mwal »

Drmattymd wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 3:28 pm
except its all broken up into smaller playable sections
How dare you try to bring logic to this constant argument, hahaha
FarmerJohn89

Post by FarmerJohn89 »

Really I think some people on here are over compensating for some reason...
There's nothing wrong with having a small map it's quality over quantity.
I have never played any solo standard maps and managed to buy everything and farm everything and was left wanting more I literally don't get where you guys get all your time from 😂

Has anyone made like a 1km by 4km map before that might be cool? Following a river or something....
DEERE317

Post by DEERE317 »

Depends a lot on equipment size. Farm roughly the equivalent of a standard map on Medicine Creek Farms (4x map) but am running a 24row planter, 2 S780’s, 5 trucks (4 semi, 1 dump, could do with less), and have 4 machines over 400hp for grain carting, tillage, planting, etc (8370R, 8370RT, 9570R, Big Bud 450)
And that’s 12 day seasons (formerly 9)
Beef & Dairy cows, pigs, grain (corn, wheat, double cropped soybeans, and sunflowers)
FS15 & FS19 Platinum Edition PC (and War Thunder, Gaijin is way worse than GIANTS ever has been accused of being)
FS Comunity Trader: https://fs19communitytrader.freeforums.net/
Desktop: i5-9400f, RTX 2060, 8gb RAM, 256gb SSD.
Laptop: Pentium Silver N5000, UHD605, 4gb RAM, 1tb HDD.
Deere, Fendt, Claas, and sometimes the rest of Agco.
Mwal

Post by Mwal »

FarmerJohn89 wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 9:50 pm Really I think some people on here are over compensating for some reason...
Yes because the guy farming 35 acres with a quad track a 100 foot drill a dB 90 2 s790’s and 4 semis definitely isn’t overcompensating for something
Illinois Farmer

Post by Illinois Farmer »

FarmerJohn89 wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 9:50 pm Really I think some people on here are over compensating for some reason...
I have never played any solo standard maps and managed to buy everything and farm everything and was left wanting more I literally don't get where you guys get all your time from 😂

Has anyone made like a 1km by 4km map before that might be cool? Following a river or something....
Yeah try real life simulation. I love just having 1 wagon or semi full for a full harvester. It is boring and unrealistic for me. Sounds like your jealous you can't get 4x on console.
1300 acre farm, finish out just about 10,000 hogs a year, 200 cattle, and xbox one and pc user.
FarmerJohn89

Post by FarmerJohn89 »

Illinois Farmer wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 3:09 am

Yeah try real life simulation. I love just having 1 wagon or semi full for a full harvester. It is boring and unrealistic for me. Sounds like your jealous you can't get 4x on console.
You can fit your entire yield from a standard map into one wagon??? Well maybe if you played with realistic wagon volumes instead of modding it to infinity and beyond it would be more realistic?
No It's just a time thing I don't have time to play a standard map let alone a 4x so a 256x map is just ridiculous.
george.earlslight

Post by george.earlslight »

Something people don't understand is that the FS engine, in contrast to other games like Just Cause, GTA, Elder Scrolls or whatever, has to periodically calculate the status of every tiny bit of field soil.
I'm not sure about the resolution this occurs, but you can test it yourselves by trying to work the soil with the smallest tool available. The smallest "tick" you can make, multiply by whatever you need to fill a full map.
Now multiply that by 4x, 16x or 256x to get the array size where calculations occur.
Does Just Cause do that?
BulletBill

Post by BulletBill »

If someone wants to make an insane sized map that's up to them, but because GIANTS engine wasn't coded to fully support anything bigger than a default sized map you will run into issues which affect visual and gameplay aspects, and the bigger you go the more problems you will encounter.

I'm all for pushing boundaries of the game, but when it comes at the expense of enjoyable gameplay it just seems counter productive.

As has been mentioned maybe in future versions we will see an increase in supported map size.

Even if a 4^n km was supported that would make maps based on RL areas much easier to make as often a 2^n km map doesn't cover a large enough area to really work along with all the gameplay elements.
Join the "Frontier Design" Discord: https://discord.gg/7P8ePvU
Illinois Farmer

Post by Illinois Farmer »

FarmerJohn89 wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 9:52 am
You can fit your entire yield from a standard map into one wagon??? Well maybe if you played with realistic wagon volumes instead of modding it to infinity and beyond it would be more realistic?
No It's just a time thing I don't have time to play a standard map let alone a 4x so a 256x map is just ridiculous.
I do play realistic size trailers. I'm saying the standard size maps are too small to simulate my kind of farming. I like having a few hundred acres and work up. Right now I'm at 700 on Midwest horizons. When I was on console I had to buy almost the whole map and merge a bunch a fields so I would get more than 1 trailer full from each field. It is just dumb to be that small. If you were a real farmer you would understand.
1300 acre farm, finish out just about 10,000 hogs a year, 200 cattle, and xbox one and pc user.