A question for GIANTS (Revisited)

Illinois Farmer

Re: A question for GIANTS (Revisited)

Post by Illinois Farmer »

Why even make a comment about master race? Stop trying to create rift.
1300 acre farm, finish out just about 10,000 hogs a year, 200 cattle, and xbox one and pc user.
FarmBoss

Post by FarmBoss »

It was a joke my friend.
Mwal

Post by Mwal »

FarmBoss wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 1:35 am Actually this_is_gav is wrong as well. They are postponing due to the new consoles coming and that's pretty much all.
A consequence is that PC doesn't get a new version because of consoles. Who's the master race now? It would seem consoles are in the lead.
Knowing this is a joke I’m still going to add this, it’s very well known and communicated in the pc community that a longer time between releases would greatly benefit the work modders could do for the game so enjoy watching the pc version leave console in the dust. :zunge:
Illinois Farmer

Post by Illinois Farmer »

FarmBoss wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 1:50 am It was a joke my friend.
My apologies. Next time put lol or Haha. Makes it easier to determine you are joking.
1300 acre farm, finish out just about 10,000 hogs a year, 200 cattle, and xbox one and pc user.
Dairydeere

Post by Dairydeere »

In response to the OP, I thought that ETS2 was a PC only game, or am I wrong? I think the main reason that FS has not taken a similar course to the ETS franchise is because FS has to accommodate new consoles, which is also the reason for postponing the next FS game. ETS2 has been able to run for the past 8 or so years because it never had to keep up with newer-specked models of a gaming platform. PCs are like the universal platform of gaming. If a game is available, you could play it on any form, with of course keeping in mind certain factors like storage, graphics, etc. Consoles, to keep up with new titles, release every so often to keep with the times. Even as new PCs are released, they can still run a really old game like FS08 or 09. Consoles, i.e. the PS4, cannot run FS08 or 09 because the specs are ahead of the time.

To summarize that jumble of thoughts in that paragraph, PCs can universally play a game from any period of time, within reason, while consoles are tailored specifically for certain times and certain specs that games in that time period meet. ETS2 and other PC games will meet the needs of computers for a while because of how PCs are. Games for consoles too, like FS, need to have constant releases to keep up with Sony and Microsoft. I think that a longer release cycle would be beneficial. There is another thread about this: viewtopic.php?p=1232170#p1232170
Dairy farmer, college student, part-time modder, always looking to drive a tractor

Discord Server
Facebook page

Where should you download mods from? Try this! - A Guide to Respectful Downloads and Original Mods

Driving up a wall because my brain turned off the gravity

Happy farming!
this_is_gav

Post by this_is_gav »

I'm sure they are one of the factors as stated, but I'm not sure how much it has to do with the next gen consoles.

GIANTS could quite easily have stayed on the expected schedule and released the game for PC, PS4 and Xbox1 and if it worked on the next gen with limited additional work then great (apparently they'll be backwards compatible, so should work in theory, and surely it couldn't be that hard to release one with the graphics set higher?). I'm sure they'd prefer to optimise it for the new consoles, but I doubt it would be enough to delay a release.

I still think the bigger issue, in addition to the new consoles, is that there simply aren't enough months between games.

I'm still hoping and praying that next-gen console expected uptake is strong enough that they can drop PS4/Xbox1 support, and do so as soon as possible. The game needs room to breath, room those consoles don't have.
Miketeg

Post by Miketeg »

Exact! Don't think they are listening to what we ask. It's just a marketing strategy (which is good) to make sure to launch the next version on the new console.

After the next version, the 2 years cycle will start again.
Has been dairy farmer - From Quebec, Canada
French is my first language, please excuse my English :-)
this_is_gav

Post by this_is_gav »

Drmattymd wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 12:28 pm They literally said they are holding off because of the new consoles
I know. I was in the discussion on Discord when Chris said it.

I was just saying I don't think that's the only reason.

Of course, if they return to a two year cycle for the following game we know that it was just the new consoles.
FarmBoss

Post by FarmBoss »

this_is_gav wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 2:23 pm
Drmattymd wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 12:28 pm They literally said they are holding off because of the new consoles
I know. I was in the discussion on Discord when Chris said it.

I was just saying I don't think that's the only reason.

Of course, if they return to a two year cycle for the following game we know that it was just the new consoles.
You are probably correct.
However, if I was doing something (even partially) because of the fans feedback and wishes, I'd be spamming that like crazy to make myself look like I'm interested in what they say.

In reply to one of my posts suggesting they're doing it to wait for the new consoles, here's a direct quote from Chris.
"We at least want to know how the coming console generation looks before we make that decision. That's the major reason why we won't release a new FS game this year."

Hopefully some of the reason is because of their fans.