Did you watch the FSL tournament this weekend?

Did you watch FSL this weekend

Yes
16%
No
84%

Total votes: 68

Tylercheesey1986

Re: Did you watch the FSL tournament this weekend?

Post by Tylercheesey1986 »

I think the FSL is cool, great to see farming simulator becoming a part of the e-sports boom.
I have watched all of them
Aussie who loves himself a 7790 JD cotton picker, 100ac was most i got off in one day. (22.5hrs)
Currently a 300 ac irrigated beef farmer with Hereford Angus x.
50-120 head.
Gear-MF i148, 7 disc offset plow, fert/seed broadcaster, harrow bars.
Only crop for improving grazing capacity so don't need much.
Aussie farmer who thinks FS 19 rulz :gamer:
Xbox gamer tag- TopCheesey420
redglasses

Post by redglasses »

Ritchie wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 2:50 pm The YouTube stream had 23k views btw, bit more relevant than a poll on here.
Ya I figured it’s getting some attention, the poll was to better figure out much of the hardcore(?) fan base is watching it. I feel that it’s getting a lot of attention from the outside but not a lot from the inside.
Playing Lincoln Creek on PC
Upload your screenshots here: IMG server
My Discord
Remember there is no need to spread your manure around the forums :wink3:
Jack of all trades, master of the skid steer
RODHA

Post by RODHA »

FSL is my focal point of hate since day 1 because watching Giants spend some considerable amount of resources to a marketing campaign instead of improving the game itself is quite frustrating. And worse than that they really thing it can be a sustainable event. In essence it is just a bunch of players making bales and storing them. Is that really what the game is about? Giants really have no idea what this game means to its hardcore fans and why? They see only the surface and the money above it.
PS5 / FS22
fozbot1973

Post by fozbot1973 »

No. I've heard of FSL, but I didn't know it was on mainly because I've never had any interest in gaming tournaments generally and competitive farming is pretty much completely opposite to what I like about the game.
Valko_inen

Post by Valko_inen »

Haven't watched it and I understand why people in this forum are hating on it but I'll play the devil's advocate:
Maybe the hardcore fans are in fact a minority among the FS players and from Giants' fianancial point of view there might not be as much of a difference between a player who has 1000 hrs in game (what am I doing with my life?) or a casual with 20 hrs, FSL probably attracts the casual audience who pay the same price for the game as we do.
blue_painted

Post by blue_painted »

Valko_inen wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:43 am Haven't watched it and I understand why people in this forum are hating on it but I'll play the devil's advocate:
Maybe the hardcore fans are in fact a minority among the FS players and from Giants' fianancial point of view there might not be as much of a difference between a player who has 1000 hrs in game (what am I doing with my life?) or a casual with 20 hrs, FSL probably attracts the casual audience who pay the same price for the game as we do.
You could well be right. Certainly the publisher would prefer two casual players to one hardcore 1,000 hour farmer.

Also -- I'd say "hating" is too strong, just "not interested" for me.
Playing new "Beest" Intel i7-11700F with GeForce GTX 3060 and XBOX controller
also £600 laptop - AMD Ryzen 5600H with GeForce GTX 3050 XBOX controller

Dairydeere's A Guide to Finding Farming Simulator Mods - Please give this a read and help spread awareness for respectful mod downloads
this_is_gav

Post by this_is_gav »

If you don't watch any more, then make sure you watch the deciding final match; it was pretty incredible. On the Twitch broadcast (English commentary) the final match starts at 4 hours and 53 minutes in.

Said from the first tournament that's it's much more fun than many people on here tend to give it credit for. It's not necessarily aimed at us, but if it helps GIANTS to grow and attract more talent then we will all benefit from that - the fact that it's actually interesting and fun is a bonus.

I really don't get the hate for it given the relatively small amount of programming and testing hours that would have been involved... and that's coming from someone who isn't even slightly interested in esports (I will never participate in FSL, but I certainly enjoy watching it). FS (the main game) isn't going to get worse because of the FSL, and the FSL couldn't exist without the core game.

Though this weekend was different due to watching F1 (caught up with the FSL on Monday), I usually tend to sit playing FS19 while watching the tournament on the main screen. Perfect mix.

Given the differences to the main game and the multiple ways you can approach a match it has a fairly steep learning curve for new viewers, but MrSealyP and Virtual Farmer (and SilverNews before that) do a really good job of blending commentating with explaining things as they happen.
redglasses

Post by redglasses »

blue_painted wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:54 am You could well be right. Certainly the publisher would prefer two casual players to one hardcore 1,000 hour farmer.
Well if you take into account that a "hardcore" player is more likely to purchase all dlcs compared to a casual. Also take into account the next game, the hardcore player is more likely to come back then a casual, of course this doesn't take into account any factors such as a failed launch (cough cough)
Playing Lincoln Creek on PC
Upload your screenshots here: IMG server
My Discord
Remember there is no need to spread your manure around the forums :wink3:
Jack of all trades, master of the skid steer
Ritchie

Post by Ritchie »

Yeah I think it's a positive thing for the game overall too. Given that farming competitions are as old as the hills, it's a natural progression to further expand the game it seems to me.
I also don't understand any of the hate on here for anything involving this game, but I suspect most of it is routed in something else in people's lives. That's the only way I can make sense of why some carry on like a jilted lover when there's something they don't like about the game or its development :lol:
A highlights video of around an hour would be a good thing for those not wanting to sit through nearly 5 1/2 hours of live stream.
this_is_gav

Post by this_is_gav »

Ritchie wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 2:25 pm A highlights video of around an hour would be a good thing for those not wanting to sit through nearly 5 1/2 hours of live stream.
Good shout. Even just a separate re-upload which shows only the final few matches would generate a fair bit more interest for more casual fans unwilling to sift through a massive stream. The final alone is three matches (best of three, but the last two tournaments has needed all three matches) so even subsequent videos showing the semi-finals and another for the final matches would be nice, and very little editing would be needed (only about 5 minutes of editing). Semi finals would be about 35 minutes for both and the finals between 35 and 50 minutes.

I will say the FSC was funnier and an easier watch than the FSL though. Some of the terrible bale stacking in the early rounds produced much laughter. FSL doesn't have that, it's much more professional, which is important in one way, but it does lose a bit of charm compared to FSC as a result.
FarmDemAcres

Post by FarmDemAcres »

wombles

Post by wombles »

this_is_gav wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 11:48 am If you don't watch any more, then make sure you watch the deciding final match; it was pretty incredible. On the Twitch broadcast (English commentary) the final match starts at 4 hours and 53 minutes in.
Thanks Gav, straight too the English bit.

It would be great if Mrsealyp or VF could release their commentary on YouTube, I never seem too get along with Twitch.
FarmBoss

Post by FarmBoss »

Ritchie wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 2:50 pm If the English stream was on YouTube I'd be more inclined to watch it. I watch stuff on YouTube all the time, I just don't use Twitch.

The YouTube stream had 23k views btw, bit more relevant than a poll on here.
It's only relevant if you know the number not viewing as well. Since we'd have to guess, about 7.5 billion didn't watch the FSL tournament. Not good numbers. :lol: