just for fun - fired up FS 17 the other day

blue_painted

Re: just for fun - fired up FS 17 the other day

Post by blue_painted » Fri Oct 04, 2019 3:34 pm

I've been getting to the point of removing FS17 from my PCs - partly because revisiting those farms doesn't feel right (possibly Oakfield) but mostly because now we have Seasons, almost Courseplay, enhanced fuel usage and so on I'm having as much fun on FS19

I know the FS19 launch wasn't perfect by any means, but then neither was the FS17 launch, I remember many people saying they would never move on from FS15.
Playing £300 PC with a £95 graphics card, £15 XBox controller and £65 SSD ... (and sometimes £200 laptop)

Procobator

Post by Procobator » Fri Oct 04, 2019 3:54 pm

I play FS17 quite regularly myself. I think what draws me back is the possibility of getting stuck in fields if you make a bad decision as well as the tractor sounds. The More Realistic mod and playing on a map with hilly fields can be quite a challenge and adds a whole new level and experience to the game. One bad turn can sink my equipment and then I need to recover it. I also enjoy using the gearbox mod that also has a fantastic hand throttle function that give my tractors a much more realistic sound because I can set the (throttle) rpms manually.

I have not been able to replicate this gameplay in 19 as of yet and I think until I can I will always be drawn back to 17.

astro80

Post by astro80 » Fri Oct 04, 2019 5:01 pm

Procobator wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 3:54 pm
I play FS17 quite regularly myself. I think what draws me back is the possibility of getting stuck in fields if you make a bad decision as well as the tractor sounds. The More Realistic mod and playing on a map with hilly fields can be quite a challenge and adds a whole new level and experience to the game. One bad turn can sink my equipment and then I need to recover it. I also enjoy using the gearbox mod that also has a fantastic hand throttle function that give my tractors a much more realistic sound because I can set the (throttle) rpms manually.

I have not been able to replicate this gameplay in 19 as of yet and I think until I can I will always be drawn back to 17.
same for me!

Crazof

Post by Crazof » Fri Oct 04, 2019 5:02 pm

I have a save going on Estancia Lapacho, currently about 455 hours game play, on day 62 or 63, running 3 day seasons. I'm farming about 70ha mostly crops, but also have a dedicated popular field and two sugar cane fields. about 300 sheep, 200 pigs and 500 cattle. I really like this map because there was a lot of area that could be "cleared" by removing trees and shrubs and turned into fields, along with decent opportunities for field expansions. I've only bought just over 1/2 the fields I try to do enough field missions per day to pay for any helpers I hire on the remaining ones . I planted about 400-500 trees in various plots around the sawmill area and am awaiting them to reach full growth so I can start more logging.

Maybe it's because seasons hasn't hit 19 on console yet, but i just feel like I'm working towards something on my estancia fs17 save, farm growth, keeping enough animal food for winter, etc... , I'm also doing 3 different saves on FS19, marwell, lipinki, and Dahl ranch, however sometimes I just feel like nothing is happening or I'm just wasting time, even running hard economy and start from scratch

hugassi

Post by hugassi » Fri Oct 04, 2019 5:08 pm

iwan073 wrote:
Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:59 pm
Ha! I tried FS15 again the other day.

I forgot how limited you are in that game!
So weird, cause even though I had bought FS17 when it came out, I kept on playing FS15 for a long time. Why? I have NO idea
because we all love farming independent of the game year :biggrin2:
GIANTS Software: Partner Program
full "FS" collection / pc / ps4
https://www.twitch.tv/the72farmer/

Phantoms

Post by Phantoms » Fri Oct 04, 2019 6:28 pm

One thing I'll never miss from FS17 (or earlier versions) is the raining inside buildings and vehicles.
Playing on PC

hun3

Post by hun3 » Fri Oct 04, 2019 7:25 pm

I was on 17 until Seasons and GPS mod came to 19..I cant farm without those I dont care what version of FS is out.

Dagrump

Post by Dagrump » Fri Oct 04, 2019 7:29 pm

Things I do like in FS19:

The contract playing that you can save.
Crops look ready for harvest when harvesting. Could never quite get used to FS17's partly green corn when harvesting.
Culivated dirt looks more realistic.
Buying and selling land without those ugly blue icons on the fields that are for sale.
Selling buildings on the default farm.
Prices holding after you dump a trailer load of crops at a sell point.
Still keeping a tractor with more then 25 hours without a value penalty. Some I have now are pushing 50 hours.

There are probably a few other things I like - if I could remember them. :confusednew:

But I still have not abandoned FS17 - particularly playing on Lone Oaks and Tazewell County Illinois maps.
Farming with a Dell PC on Maps:
FS17: Loan Oaks Farm and Western Shore
FS19: Upper Mississippi River Valley and Bucks County, Pa

Crazof

Post by Crazof » Fri Oct 04, 2019 9:05 pm

I've never been concerned with used tractor values, on my save mentioned above I'm still running one of the original tractors that map started with(case 1455). I have 3 tractors approaching 125-150 hours each on that map. since the performance doesn't change regardless of age there really is no reason to get rid of an old tractor unless you are replacing it for something that is better or you just want to try something different.

masneoquil

Post by masneoquil » Fri Oct 04, 2019 10:18 pm

OlavEmil wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 2:52 pm
masneoquil wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 2:00 pm
I'm still playing FS17.
I can't live without Courseplay

Neither can I. Even so, I have zero interest in FS17 anymore.

https://github.com/Courseplay/courseplay/releases
Yeah I know I can download it now, but for me it is not quite there yet. There are some bugs and some unfinished modes.
Also I need the field size calculator.
Meanwhile, all other maps and mods get updated, and by the time I jump in I don't have to worry about checking for new versions.
I will probably still be playing FS19 by the time FS21 is a year old

throsbi

Post by throsbi » Sat Oct 05, 2019 4:41 am

I always think its funny when people compare a complete polished set of mods and the base game of the past to FS19. No comparison, face it FS19 is better and when the mods that made you think fs17 was so great get finished and another year of them roll out you will all be saying the exact same things when the next version of FS is released.

Dont believe me go back to when FS17 hit, same yada yada, you can go back each time and its all about the same, funny how that works.....

Procobator

Post by Procobator » Sat Oct 05, 2019 7:24 am

I do hope you are right in my case throsbi. I’ve spent quite a bit of hours and money on 19. I even published a map. Even with all that, I still find myself going back to 17 for the reasons I stated above. My gameplay highly relies on realism and currently I can achieve it the closest when playing 17.