Can herbicide be applied preventively?

Frag

Can herbicide be applied preventively?

Post by Frag »

Hi guys,

I am wondering. Two small questions:

1. Can we apply herbicide at the beginning of the season for the weed not to grow instead of using it to kill it?

2. When we have killed the weed with herbicide, I noticed that it dies but it stays there. Are those dead weed take space that crop cannot use?

Thanks
iwan073

Re: Can herbicide be applied preventively?

Post by iwan073 »

1- In seasons I believe

2- No, no idea why it doesn’t disappear. But it doesn’t effect your crops.
Ignorance is bliss
ThatCanadianGuy

Post by ThatCanadianGuy »

1- With Seasons yes I you can, in the Vanilla I am not sure.
That said I still wait to see how bad the weeds are until later in the growth (but before harvesting stages) to see if it is necessary, typically they are so low it isn't worth the money)

2- no.
Former real life farmer of lentils, mustard, and wheat on the Canadian prairies.
Tylercheesey1986

Post by Tylercheesey1986 »

Using vanilla game/no seasons. If I'm spraying weeds preventively, which I do a lot as its worth the money to stop those weeds marching in from the north!! I do it immediately after sowing (using a seeder/planter that also fertilizers) it prevents weeds growing and as there are no crops growing yet it is easy to see where you have sprayed or not (unsprayed field is dark and sprayed field is much lighter)
Aussie who loves himself a 7790 JD cotton picker, 100ac was most i got off in one day. (22.5hrs)
Currently a 300 ac irrigated beef farmer with Hereford Angus x.
50-120 head.
Gear-MF i148, 7 disc offset plow, fert/seed broadcaster, harrow bars.
Only crop for improving grazing capacity so don't need much.
Aussie farmer who thinks FS 19 rulz :gamer:
Xbox gamer tag- TopCheesey420
iwan073

Post by iwan073 »

Tylercheesey1986 wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 3:51 am Using vanilla game/no seasons. If I'm spraying weeds preventively, which I do a lot as its worth the money to stop those weeds marching in from the north!! I do it immediately after sowing (using a seeder/planter that also fertilizers) it prevents weeds growing and as there are no crops growing yet it is easy to see where you have sprayed or not (unsprayed field is dark and sprayed field is much lighter)
You telling me it can be done in the vanilla game?
Ignorance is bliss
TZ441

Post by TZ441 »

I litterly tried yesterday on Xbox one and i cant spray preventively. They have to be first growth stage weed no matter what.
FS15, FS17, FS19 all on Xbox.
FS19 on PC
4th Generation Cattle rancher in South Dakota.
CMDRTAKEDOWN

Post by CMDRTAKEDOWN »

That's weird I do it all the time right after seeding on PS4. Weeds are turned on. My wife found it out by accident that it could be done.
PS4
PS5
Tylercheesey1986

I just did it 5 minutes ago on Xbox.
This is how I do it.
plow, lime (if needed), cultivate (unless using direct drill), sow and fertilize (using seeder/planter that sows and fertilizes), now spray herbicide (note that worker cannot be hired for this), finally the second lot of fertilizer.. All this is done before any growth. I know it works I have done it hundreds of times
Aussie who loves himself a 7790 JD cotton picker, 100ac was most i got off in one day. (22.5hrs)
50-120 head.
Tylercheesey1986

Just realised that people may think its not possible due to the fact that a worker will not do it.
50-120 head.
CMDRTAKEDOWN

Post by CMDRTAKEDOWN »

Yeah but if they read what we said "that you need to have fertilizer/lime to see" then they should realize that can't use a worker.
PS4
PS5
CMDRTAKEDOWN

Post by CMDRTAKEDOWN »

My wife found out by setting up the herbicide ready to spray and turned it on and drove forward onto the field to make sure it was lined up. And the patch that she did the weeds didn't grow.
PS4
PS5
iwan073

Post by iwan073 »

Cool.

But, me doing it manually before it starts to grow. Or a worker doing it for me after it started growing...

I think I’ll go for the worker.

It has to be done, one way or the other.
Ignorance is bliss
Denhalen

Post by Denhalen »

Before I played with seasons on PC, I was able to preventively apply herbicide, using courseplay. Even before the first growth stage, I sprayed herbicide and no weed grew. But in Seasons I am having less luck with that. As weed grows in patches now, it is harder to combat. Although I have read somewhere that if you plant oilseed radish, let it grow and then plant your crop, it reduces the chance of weed. At least for grass.
Eische

Post by Eische »

Denhalen wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:56 am Although I have read somewhere that if you plant oilseed radish, let it grow and then plant your crop, it reduces the chance of weed. At least for grass.
This is not true. Weed is not growing on grass, no matter what you have done in preparation.
Oilseed radish has no other effect than fertilization stage.
Playing on PC - Win10
Ryzen 3600
RX 5500XT
16GB Ram
How to post log file
How to upload pictures
Please report bugs for FS22 using the bugtracker
cwattyeso

Post by cwattyeso »

In the Vanilla Game I always sprayed Herbicide straight after seeding a field, much as others above do to prevent the weeds ever appearing on the field during that crop cycle. However in the end I still ended up turning off Weeds because I just hated their whole blanket coverage of a map.

In Seasons with the ModHub Version I liked how fields would only get small patches of weeds and not a total coverage, however I also found a problem where I'd spray a field to kill weeds, and then the next day new weeds would grow on the same field. I'd spray again to kill these weeds and sure enough the next day new weeds would grow. So it seemed to me spraying in Seasons only kills the weeds present but did not prevent weeds from re-growing. So now I was having to spray fields every single day to keep the weeds away. So once again I turned off the Weeds.

I haven't tried Weeds with the last two Beta Builds of Seasons, to see whether they have fixed what I experienced and actually made it so once you spray a field that's it, it's weed free for the year. I maybe ought to give it a test at some point, but then part of me is happy with Weeds off as I really don't see what that brings to the game.
Check out my YouTube Channel for Farming Simulator and other Gaming Let's Plays and Videos at https://www.youtube.com/c/CwattyesoGamingforFun :D

Also be sure to check out my Kick Channel for my Farming Simulator Live Streams and Multiplayer Server at https://www.kick.com/cwattyeso :gamer:

GIANTS SOFTWARE Personal Partner Code: CWATTYESO *thumbsup*