Cheapest way to fertilize?

User avatar
iwan073
Posts: 667
Joined: Wed Sep 19, 2018 3:05 pm

Cheapest way to fertilize?

Post by iwan073 » Mon Oct 14, 2019 6:30 am

Somewhere I read that liquid fertilizer is cheaper than solid fertilizer.

But there are more ways to fertilize.
How about manure, slurry and oilseed radish?

What’s the cheapest way to fertilize with those included?

(while buying the manure and slurry from a selling point)

Cause slurry seems really cheap, but you use a LOT of it!
Farming Simulator 15, 17 & 19 on the PlayStation 4 Pro

SJ_Sathanas
Posts: 192
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:02 am

Re: Cheapest way to fertilize?

Post by SJ_Sathanas » Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:27 am

I think solid is best to begin with as it's cheap to buy a little spreader that can also do lime.
Digestate and slurry/manure are obviously free once you have all the other elements in place but it takes a long time and a lot of investment to get there.
I think for a given field solid and liquid spraying is much faster and is a great source of income from contract jobs.

Eische
Posts: 1316
Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2018 5:17 pm

Re: Cheapest way to fertilize?

Post by Eische » Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:51 am

As the price for solid/liquid fertilizer is fixed it end up like this:

usage per hectare (ideal values):
200L - solid fertilizer
300L - liquid
15000L - manure/slurry

Costs:
1920 for 1000L - solid --> 384 per hectare --> 384/15 = 26 for manure/slurry
3200 for 2000L - liquid --> 480 per hectare --> 480/15 = 32 for manure/slurry
If you can buy manure/slurry for less than 26 your have lowest costs for fertilizing per hectare.
PC - Win10

heino79
Posts: 10
Joined: Wed Sep 18, 2019 8:44 am

Re: Cheapest way to fertilize?

Post by heino79 » Mon Oct 14, 2019 12:51 pm

did a test on a test field on flat map.. the field is make so there as little waste and overspray as possible. all work done ny helpers.
i used
476l solid fertilizer = 914
715l liquid fertilizer = 1144
26292L manure from Holgers sell point = 1157
26370l Slurry from Holgers sell point = 738

so yes slurry is the cheapest way. but you will have to drive a lot.

User avatar
hun3
Posts: 484
Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2016 9:43 am

Re: Cheapest way to fertilize?

Post by hun3 » Mon Oct 14, 2019 6:56 pm

iwan073 wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 6:30 am
Somewhere I read that liquid fertilizer is cheaper than solid fertilizer.

But there are more ways to fertilize.
How about manure, slurry and oilseed radish?

What’s the cheapest way to fertilize with those included?

(while buying the manure and slurry from a selling point)

Cause slurry seems really cheap, but you use a LOT of it!
This is what I do on PC. I never use liquid or solid fertilizers...very expensive plus I like to preserve my polygon environment :) I place down a manure buy point....look it up. I use that plus I rotate crops plus my seconds crop is radish...with those methods I have all 3 stages covered. Now of course its more work but also satisfying.

george.earlslight
Posts: 398
Joined: Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:45 am
Location: Europe

Re: Cheapest way to fertilize?

Post by george.earlslight » Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:13 pm

hun3 wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 6:56 pm
This is what I do on PC. I never use liquid or solid fertilizers...very expensive plus I like to preserve my polygon environment :)
I also like going organic. I wish there was a more tangible advantage apart from the warm and fuzzy feeling.

SJ_Sathanas
Posts: 192
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:02 am

Re: Cheapest way to fertilize?

Post by SJ_Sathanas » Thu Oct 17, 2019 4:31 pm

hun3 wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 6:56 pm
iwan073 wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 6:30 am
Somewhere I read that liquid fertilizer is cheaper than solid fertilizer.

But there are more ways to fertilize.
How about manure, slurry and oilseed radish?

What’s the cheapest way to fertilize with those included?

(while buying the manure and slurry from a selling point)

Cause slurry seems really cheap, but you use a LOT of it!
This is what I do on PC. I never use liquid or solid fertilizers...very expensive plus I like to preserve my polygon environment :) I place down a manure buy point....look it up. I use that plus I rotate crops plus my seconds crop is radish...with those methods I have all 3 stages covered. Now of course its more work but also satisfying.
Do you take into account the extra time, fuel and material when using o/seed radish?
I've never bothered with it before but I think seasons makes it more viable.

ThatCanadianGuy
Posts: 163
Joined: Mon Oct 31, 2016 7:14 pm

Re: Cheapest way to fertilize?

Post by ThatCanadianGuy » Thu Oct 17, 2019 4:40 pm

You would have to factor in the price of equipment, fuel and workers wages (if applicable) per hectare also to get a full picture of the costs. I think this would bring the cost of manure way up since it needs special equipment and is slow to apply but if you are doing animals you have to deal with it anyway.

Alagos
Posts: 1330
Joined: Thu Aug 15, 2013 2:54 pm
Location: The Netherlands

Re: Cheapest way to fertilize?

Post by Alagos » Thu Oct 17, 2019 4:43 pm

If you factor in time and equipment usage, nothing is cheaper than solid fertilizer

User avatar
iwan073
Posts: 667
Joined: Wed Sep 19, 2018 3:05 pm

Re: Cheapest way to fertilize?

Post by iwan073 » Thu Oct 17, 2019 5:14 pm

Alagos wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 4:43 pm
If you factor in time and equipment usage, nothing is cheaper than solid fertilizer
On the short term yeah
Farming Simulator 15, 17 & 19 on the PlayStation 4 Pro

User avatar
FarmerLee73
Posts: 248
Joined: Sun Jul 21, 2019 5:48 pm

Re: Cheapest way to fertilize?

Post by FarmerLee73 » Thu Oct 17, 2019 6:11 pm

Surprised no one has mentioned making their own Fertilizer via the GC script.

User avatar
hun3
Posts: 484
Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2016 9:43 am

Re: Cheapest way to fertilize?

Post by hun3 » Thu Oct 17, 2019 7:13 pm

SJ_Sathanas wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 4:31 pm
hun3 wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 6:56 pm
iwan073 wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 6:30 am
Somewhere I read that liquid fertilizer is cheaper than solid fertilizer.

But there are more ways to fertilize.
How about manure, slurry and oilseed radish?

What’s the cheapest way to fertilize with those included?

(while buying the manure and slurry from a selling point)

Cause slurry seems really cheap, but you use a LOT of it!
This is what I do on PC. I never use liquid or solid fertilizers...very expensive plus I like to preserve my polygon environment :) I place down a manure buy point....look it up. I use that plus I rotate crops plus my seconds crop is radish...with those methods I have all 3 stages covered. Now of course its more work but also satisfying.
Do you take into account the extra time, fuel and material when using o/seed radish?
I've never bothered with it before but I think seasons makes it more viable.
Thats a good question actually. I never did the numbers but I think going "green" probably where my main reasoning is. I try to play realistically as much as possible. Someone should do a test on this.

Let me put it this way:
- Extra seed machine etc...$5000
- Hired worker cost $1000
- Saving the health of our mother planet...Priceless :)

User avatar
TacoFarmer
Posts: 3506
Joined: Wed May 24, 2017 8:55 pm
Location: TBAP Ranch,PS4

Re: Cheapest way to fertilize?

Post by TacoFarmer » Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:30 pm

hun3 wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 7:13 pm
SJ_Sathanas wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 4:31 pm
hun3 wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 6:56 pm


This is what I do on PC. I never use liquid or solid fertilizers...very expensive plus I like to preserve my polygon environment :) I place down a manure buy point....look it up. I use that plus I rotate crops plus my seconds crop is radish...with those methods I have all 3 stages covered. Now of course its more work but also satisfying.
Do you take into account the extra time, fuel and material when using o/seed radish?
I've never bothered with it before but I think seasons makes it more viable.
Thats a good question actually. I never did the numbers but I think going "green" probably where my main reasoning is. I try to play realistically as much as possible. Someone should do a test on this.

Let me put it this way:
- Extra seed machine etc...$5000
- Hired worker cost $1000
- Saving the health of our mother planet...Priceless :)
What about all the extra emissions the tractors are making with more hours? Would that outweigh the benefits of green fertilizer?
PS4
Farm Happy My Friends.
Who Dat Who Der Ranch-Flaming Pinto Edition

You cant polish a turd ......but you can paint it GREEN and YELLOW .

Crazof
Posts: 380
Joined: Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:54 pm

Re: Cheapest way to fertilize?

Post by Crazof » Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:46 pm

don't forget the lost income potential, FS 19 seems to have very high manure and slurry sale prices( at least in the base game, don't have seasons yet so haven't seen if that changes anything).

take into account the pioneer pallet mod and solid fertilizer is very cheap, selling a few thousand liters of manure and you can buy a good amount of solid fertilizer

Tylercheesey1986
Posts: 1000
Joined: Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:04 am
Location: Central West, NSW Australia

Re: Cheapest way to fertilize?

Post by Tylercheesey1986 » Thu Oct 24, 2019 10:41 am

Simple answer, don't fertilize. I just started exploring organic farming, then I got sick of running back and forth with poop.
Found this fertilizer free way to get max crop yields (on console with # fertilizer states, so probably won't work with seasons and 3 fertilizer states)

On a freshly harvested, unfertilized field.
1-If you play with lime required, spread lime if needed
2- use "Agromasz BM75" weeder but configured for "mode mulch harrow", this will give +1 fertilizer state
3- sow field with oilseed radish, rate of usage is very slow so cost is minimal.
Must use a direct drill with no fertilizer function or leave fert tank empty
4- once oilseed reaches first growth, sow it with crop you want. Now you will have full fertilized state and a crop in the ground.
5- go to workshop with agromasz bm75, switch to " mode weeder", then head out to field an wait for those evil weeds to appear so you can pull them out before they mature.

This allows you to get maximum yield with the minimal cost of 1 tractor, 1 seeder, 1 weeder and some seed

EDIT, forgot the plowing if you play with periodic plowing and field needs plowing do this between steps 2-3
Aussie who loves himself a 7790 JD cotton picker, 100ac was most i got off in one day. (22.5hrs)
Currently a 300 ac irrigated beef farmer with Hereford Angus x.
50-120 head.
Gear-MF i148, 7 disc offset plow, fert/seed broadcaster, harrow bars.
Only crop for improving grazing capacity so don't need much.
Aussie farmer who thinks FS 19 rulz :gamer:
Xbox gamer tag- TopCheesey420

Post Reply