Getting Chaff off Field

SJ_Sathanas

Getting Chaff off Field

Post by SJ_Sathanas »

What's the most authentic and/or pratical way of getting corn chaff off Field? At the moment I'm driving the forage harvester myself, having a worker follow me in a tractor/trailer then driving the tractor down to either my sileage pits or to the pits at the bio plant.
I'd much rather get the chaff loaded into a truck for the drive. I could use the Annaburger chaff auger trailer but it's a bit too big for the map. I could use the modded Agroliner overloader, conveyer belts to reload from a field trailer to a road trailer, or transfrer chaff module from a field hooklift trailer to hooklift semi-trailer but that doesnt feel very authentic.
I'm on Meadow Grove so can't go too big.
this_is_gav

Re: Getting Chaff off Field

Post by this_is_gav »

I don't know where you are trying to replicate, but in most places you're doing it right already with the tractor carting.

If the speed is bothering you perhaps lease a quicker tractor (Fendt, Deutz-Fahr or JCB).
Noraf

Post by Noraf »

The trailerlifter from the horsch pack, and the fliegel semi trailer that fits it?
IT-runner setup? or the sugarcane dump trailer (mf?) isn't so big, and can be used as an overloader to trucks.
And if on pc, cp works sort of ok with a bit of fiddeling. if on console, set the hiered hand on the harvester, and run the tractor yourself.
:hi:

FS22 Bug-tracker
How to post your log
Giants Discord
Posting pictures How-to

Just remember, if the world didn't su.., we'd all fall of...
fozbot1973

Post by fozbot1973 »

this_is_gav wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:14 am I don't know where you are trying to replicate, but in most places you're doing it right already with the tractor carting.

If the speed is bothering you perhaps lease a quicker tractor (Fendt, Deutz-Fahr or JCB).
Particularly if you get a faster tractor that has a higher horsepower; quicker off the blocks and faster during the run back to the farm.
fozbot1973

Post by fozbot1973 »

I prefer to have the worker drive the forage harvester while I do the carting, since I'll have to switch out of the harvester each time the trailer is full otherwise. I just use a tractor/trailer or a truck/trailer but I guess a truck isn't that realistic.

On large fields that are a distance from the silage pit I've occasionally set aside a dump area on the field. Create a big pile of chaff there, then when the harvest is over go and collect it for carting back to the silage pit. You need something like the ropa maus to pick it up though, unless you have a lot of patience with the wheel loader.
Eische

Post by Eische »

Even in Europe the usage of agricultural trucks for transporting chaff is getting more and more common. Especially if the distance between field and silage pit is large.
Typical combination in game would be the MAN TGS and the Krampe KS950.
Playing on PC - Win10
Ryzen 3600
RX 5500XT
16GB Ram
How to post log file
How to upload pictures
Please report bugs for FS22 using the bugtracker
Jd2140

Post by Jd2140 »

Do what ever suits you ,I’m in the UK,I’ve done chaff in real life and we used mainly tractors but there was always a artic and a ridged truck turn up ,and they always got priority over the tractors
DirectCedar

Post by DirectCedar »

Jd2140 wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:57 am Do what ever suits you ,I’m in the UK,I’ve done chaff in real life and we used mainly tractors but there was always a artic and a ridged truck turn up ,and they always got priority over the tractors
JD2140 I have a question for you from this experience. Did anyone actually use the term "chaff" to refer to the green chop you were carting home to the pit off the chopper? When I farmed in the UK a long time ago no one in my experience said "chaff". Likewise in Canada where I've farmed most of my life. Everyone I've worked with refers to the bulk chopped product as "silage" even before it has technically become silage. You chop it with a silage chopper into a silage wagon which usually tips into a silage truck which then hauls the silage back to the silage pit :lol:

"Chaff" to grain farmers and agrologists is weed seeds and crop residue that comes out of the combine that is not grain and is not straw.

I'd never heard the term used in reference to silage before Farming Simulator. I've always wondered if it is a regionalization I am not aware of, or a peculiar translation from German.
george.earlslight

Post by george.earlslight »

The straightforward ways are using a truck/lorry like the MAN or Tatra or tractors with trailers.
You can also use offloading methods with the Annaburger trailer or the Holmer Terra, to follow the cutter and unload on a truck/lorry on road.

Realistically the usage depends on field inclination and soil conditions.
chedly_farms

Post by chedly_farms »

You could have a worker do "follow me" pulling one of the dump wagons available in Sugar Beets section. And then transfer chaff from the dump wagon into a semi trailer/lorry tipper and take back to the farm that way.

https://youtu.be/fKK8rnqPIA4

https://youtu.be/HJiUV489d2E
Currently Playing on XBoxOne : Elm Creek

-----> And "Thank You Modders" for your contributions <----
Barrcott

Post by Barrcott »

Surprised you actually want anything faster on medowgrove, it not a fast map at all , if you're on pc then the ' follow me' thing is probably the best way to do it simply because of the small awkward fields, I'm currently on medowgrove on console so unless I go multiplayer for maize silage I'm going to have to pick my fields very carefully for a worker to run the forager, to make it feel realistic medowgrove is a tractor & trailer map not really built for trucks at all
Swapped the tractor seat for a truck, 30 years later & still regretting it !

Last regular drive > FENDT 930 / 939 & Claas Xerion 3800
Play time > Ford TW20
Bottomless money pit > David Brown 880
Should never of sold the MF168 !
Barrcott

Post by Barrcott »

DirectCedar wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 12:14 pm
Jd2140 wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:57 am Do what ever suits you ,I’m in the UK,I’ve done chaff in real life and we used mainly tractors but there was always a artic and a ridged truck turn up ,and they always got priority over the tractors
JD2140 I have a question for you from this experience. Did anyone actually use the term "chaff" to refer to the green chop you were carting home to the pit off the chopper? When I farmed in the UK a long time ago no one in my experience said "chaff". Likewise in Canada where I've farmed most of my life. Everyone I've worked with refers to the bulk chopped product as "silage" even before it has technically become silage. You chop it with a silage chopper into a silage wagon which usually tips into a silage truck which then hauls the silage back to the silage pit :lol:

"Chaff" to grain farmers and agrologists is weed seeds and crop residue that comes out of the combine that is not grain and is not straw.

I'd never heard the term used in reference to silage before Farming Simulator. I've always wondered if it is a regionalization I am not aware of, or a peculiar translation from German.
In all my years of farm work & even my own contracting business , I've never come across the word chaff when regarding silage I any form , to me chaff is the waste product from cereal harvest like the wheat husks & barley horns, I've also never had any lorry's always turn up to haul , not saying it doesn't happen but I'm 50 & it's never happened to me, down our way the trucks wouldn't get into the fields through the narrow gates & during maize silaging the just sink down to their axles within 10 ft even if they could get in.
The area in the UK I live in isvery much Marwell farm territory , matter of fact the real marwell farm area is only an hours drive away from me
Swapped the tractor seat for a truck, 30 years later & still regretting it !

Last regular drive > FENDT 930 / 939 & Claas Xerion 3800
Play time > Ford TW20
Bottomless money pit > David Brown 880
Should never of sold the MF168 !
george.earlslight

Post by george.earlslight »

Barrcott wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:28 am down our way the trucks wouldn't get into the fields through the narrow gates & during maize silaging the just sink down to their axles within 10 ft even if they could get in.
Nice to know, thanks for sharing.
I hope we get mud and soil compaction in the next version of FS.
SJ_Sathanas

Post by SJ_Sathanas »

Barrcott wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:16 am Surprised you actually want anything faster on medowgrove, it not a fast map at all , if you're on pc then the ' follow me' thing is probably the best way to do it simply because of the small awkward fields, I'm currently on medowgrove on console so unless I go multiplayer for maize silage I'm going to have to pick my fields very carefully for a worker to run the forager, to make it feel realistic medowgrove is a tractor & trailer map not really built for trucks at all
I'm using the dairyfarm and have bought two additional fields and have cultivated the flat grass area intended for the cow pen. I used it all for corn silage so it was a fair few return trips for the 7200 and Fliegel Bull trailer, half of which went to the Bioplant bunkers.

None of it really matters obviously. I was just curious if there was a better way to move the material. :)
Mellek

Post by Mellek »

SJ_Sathanas wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:01 am or transfrer chaff module from a field hooklift trailer to hooklift semi-trailer but that doesnt feel very authentic.
I'm on Meadow Grove so can't go too big.
The hooklift method is used here in the Netherlands, mostly with custom built forage harvesters.
Have a look on Youtube for the Dutch company Grasdrogerij Ruinerwold, they have various custom New Holland forage harvesters and also for another Dutch company Groenvoederdrogerij Timmerman who use a custom John Deere 8600i with hooklift.

I think using the Annaburger Fieldliner HTS comes close to what the Grasdrogerij Ruinerwold does with their New Holland FX50/Veenhuis shuttle combination.
...although you have to find a way to attach it to the forage harvester, unless you use the Rostselmash 1403 (Giants mod) which has a attacher for it.