How does Giants model so much equipment?

this_is_gav

Re: How does Giants model so much equipment?

Post by this_is_gav »

I've been told by someone at GIANTS that they are bringing much of their modelling in-house now, so while they might still contract some out, they are doing more of it themselves.

redglasses wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 3:45 am Well ya of course they will have to get a 3D cad file from the company. Like you said a ton of work goes into it before it can be used in game.
Only for recent things. I serious doubt there would any usable CAD data (none that can be used for anything other than dimensions anyway) for the 90s and older stuff that GIANTS have done over the years.

I know MattXJS only wanted to model equipment he could physically access for his Modern Classics DLC so he could take audio recordings, measurements, thousands of photos and even used software which would convert them into a loose 3D model (only used for reference, not to base the model on). I assume this is how GIANTS approach some of their older equipment too.
PrincessJessi84

Post by PrincessJessi84 »

DeereJason wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 6:12 amI certainly didn't see anything that would indicate a negative tone towards Giants. Things are what they are. If they contract work out, it's just part of the process. Its standard business practice for most companies. Companies can't always fill all labor requirements so it has to be made up somewhere.

Credit for the success of the game is widespread. The relationship between Giants and modders us symbiotic. One cannot exist without the other...but Giants (by far) is the greater beneficiary. Modders fill in the blanks and that makes the game much more appealing.

That said, I'm not going to kiss Giants' backside or that of anyone else to whom I pay money to. The funds I use to buy the game and buy the season pass are all the credit I need to give.
um.. I don't remember addressing anything towards u.. nor do I remember implying anyone had a negative tone, I just don't want some lame debate started on my behalf.. nor did I say "kiss Giants backside"... if u think giving people credit where its due is kissing their backside that's on u.. but.... u sure set me straight.....? :hmm:
https://fs19communitytrader.freeforums.net/
PC
PC - Ryzen 7-2700 8core, 32gb ram, 2x2tb SSD, RTX 2080 SUPER 8gb, GX-850 Gold PSU
Displays - ASUS ROG Strix XG43VQ 43” Super Ultra-Wide Curved HDR Gaming Monitor 120Hz (3840 x 1200)
Samsung CFG70 27" Curved gaming Monitor 144HZ (1920 x 1080)
2x 24" Dell Monitors
Controllers - T150 Pro, Side Panel, TrackIR7, TM Stick
redglasses

Post by redglasses »

Man now I want a Nova with tracks...
Playing Lincoln Creek on PC
Upload your screenshots here: IMG server
My Discord
Remember there is no need to spread your manure around the forums :wink3:
Jack of all trades, master of the skid steer