Dorper sheep

FarmerJDC

Dorper sheep

Post by FarmerJDC »

What purpose do these sheep serve if they dont produce any wool?
Illinois Farmer

Re: Dorper sheep

Post by Illinois Farmer »

Meat.
1300 acre farm, finish out just about 10,000 hogs a year, 200 cattle, and xbox one and pc user.
FarmerJDC

Post by FarmerJDC »

Oh..
Lucass

Post by Lucass »

I understand that we have profits by selling youngs after the birth. The information says that it's best to sell them when they weigh 40-45 kg.
I waited until this moment, but the price for 45 kg cub is still lower than 1 piece of Dorper at the dealer. I even waited to weigh about 80 kg, and a price increase although the price is still lower than the new one. Is it normal?
Of course, this is a profit - we always have an extra animals to sell, but why is the weight of 40-45 kg so crucial?
Illinois Farmer

Post by Illinois Farmer »

Well the market can fluctuate during the year, so that would effect when to sell them. Well with the males, I don't know if the game stimulates castration or not, but if they get too big and are not castrated, the meat can get tough and won't be as tender. At the 40 kg weight that's roughly a 100 lb lamb and is a really good size. The meat would be more tender than a 80 kg lamb. At 80 kg they wouldn't be classified as a lamb anymore.
1300 acre farm, finish out just about 10,000 hogs a year, 200 cattle, and xbox one and pc user.
norfolk farmer

Post by norfolk farmer »

Also you need to factor in the cost of feeding them once they pass a certain weight compared to extra money you would receive for selling heavier livestock. This applies to all the animals.
Lucass

Post by Lucass »

norfolk farmer wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 4:51 pm Also you need to factor in the cost of feeding them once they pass a certain weight compared to extra money you would receive for selling heavier livestock. This applies to all the animals.
... that's a good point.
Thanks.