Fertilizer for seasons

dapals51

Fertilizer for seasons

Post by dapals51 »

Is there an option to select how many times to fertilize? If not that would be a nice patch here in my are we fertilize 1 time and maybe a second as needed. 3 doesn't happen every where and takes alot of tims
XBOX one player
Farmer in the midwest USA

MOD HUB OR DIE!!
Missyb

Re: Fertilizer for seasons

Post by Missyb »

Doesn't really matter how many time you fertilize a field's, at the end of the end its up to you on how many time's you do it.
!Warning I am dislayxic I will type how i think, if you don't understand any of it then please say!

Mods by Missyb FS22
Mods by MissyB Modding
Twitch Missyb Modding
Deereslayer

Post by Deereslayer »

Yes please make it an option to decide how many fertilizer passes you make. 2 is ideal for me. One while planting and 1 after crop is growing. 3 stages isn't realistic in most places.
dapals51

Post by dapals51 »

Missyb wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 6:04 pm Doesn't really matter how many time you fertilize a field's, at the end of the end its up to you on how many time's you do it.
Do you have proof that it doesn't matter? Seasons makes fields more sensitive to practices
XBOX one player
Farmer in the midwest USA

MOD HUB OR DIE!!
norfolk farmer

Post by norfolk farmer »

I guess it depends on where you are from as 3 times is about correct here, plus multiple applications of various sprays.
ThatCanadianGuy

Post by ThatCanadianGuy »

I think the next stage of fertilizing in FS would be the amount of fert you apply, rather than the number of times, affecting the yield. When we were farming we would pour the fert on mustard and hardly apply any to lentils (I realized neither of these are in game so lets say canola and beans). I know some farmers who apply fert ahead of time for canola as well as at seeding.
We would occasionally top dress wheat as well as applying fert at seeding but regardless of the crop it was about the amount applied rather than the number of times it was applied.
Former real life farmer of lentils, mustard, and wheat on the Canadian prairies.
michaelr

Post by michaelr »

Use cover crops. Seed oilseed radish as soon as harvest is done.

Plough or cultivate it into the ground late winter/early spring and get a “free” fertilizer stage.
bossmanslim

Post by bossmanslim »

michaelr wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 7:04 pm Use cover crops. Seed oilseed radish as soon as harvest is done.

Plough or cultivate it into the ground late winter/early spring and get a “free” fertilizer stage.
This is false, you are trading one pass of fertilizer for 2 passes to get the same effect from oil seed radish. Seeders/planters are also slower and narrower than fertilizer AND you then have to cultivate or plow to get the fertilizer stage, which is also narrowed and slower than using a spreader.

My recommendation is to just get a fairly fast spreader setup and have a helper do it if you don't want to, or just ignore it and don't worry about the yield. Seasons is 50% spreading/spraying and 50% everything else.
ThatCanadianGuy

I haven't tested it in 19 yet but in 17 you could use a direct seeder with fertilizing (no cultivating needed before) and plant radish, also fertilizing at the same time, once it's seed the crop, again fertilizing also. You get your three fert levels in 2 passes.

It is slower, and takes more time but if you are not using seasons or have a geo with a large growing window it is an option.
Former real life farmer of lentils, mustard, and wheat on the Canadian prairies.
michaelr

Post by michaelr »

bossmanslim wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 8:07 pm Seeders/planters are also slower and narrower than fertilizer AND you then have to cultivate or plow to get the fertilizer stage, which is also narrowed and slower than using a spreader.
Yes, but I never claimed that oilseed radish would be the fastest way :wink3:

I thought this was about finding a balanced and realistic way to reach all stages of fertilizer without having to drive over each field 3 times with a fertilizer spreader. That quickly becomes Fertilizer Simulator.

By using oilseed radish, and maybe slurry too, it becomes less tedious to reach all 3 stages.
reallogger

Post by reallogger »

In a previous version on Seasons you could get a free fertilization stage if you had ideal crop rotations. But there was an issue with this feature for direct seeders so it had to be removed unfortunately.
ThatCanadianGuy

I was wondering what happened to that.
SJ_Sathanas

Post by SJ_Sathanas »

michaelr wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 10:22 pm
bossmanslim wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 8:07 pm Seeders/planters are also slower and narrower than fertilizer AND you then have to cultivate or plow to get the fertilizer stage, which is also narrowed and slower than using a spreader.
Yes, but I never claimed that oilseed radish would be the fastest way :wink3:

I thought this was about finding a balanced and realistic way to reach all stages of fertilizer without having to drive over each field 3 times with a fertilizer spreader. That quickly becomes Fertilizer Simulator.

By using oilseed radish, and maybe slurry too, it becomes less tedious to reach all 3 stages.
Depends when you are spreading really. If your geo allows a second, late summer planting then you will be in full swing harvesting and will probably need to get the fertiliser in ASAP. To me that means either solid or spraying as it's quick.
I'm using an American geo at Ravenport and used manure during the slower, growing period (late spring early summer) and solid later when I'm trying to squeeze in a second planting.