Organic Farming Simulator

Dziwny85

Organic Farming Simulator

Post by Dziwny85 »

I would like to start a thread about organic farming in fs19. I'm playing fs since fs13 and at the beginning I want to say thank you very much Giant for your astonishing work. When I started transition my farm irl to organic I always wanted to be able to go organic in fs. When fs17 appeared my wishes comes true. In this thread I would like to know how many of us virtual framers play organic. So be free to share your stories.
Dziwny85

Re: Organic Farming Simulator

Post by Dziwny85 »

I'm not native English speaker so I apologise for any mistakes.
j_maybury

Post by j_maybury »

Why not write in your own language and let google translate do the rest, that way you can articulate your thoughts better, rather than you having to search for words to get your point across
Dziwny85

Post by Dziwny85 »

j_maybury wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 2:02 pm Why not write in your own language and let google translate do the rest, that way you can articulate your thoughts better, rather than you having to search for words to get your point across
Well maybe I like a little bit of challenge😉 Thanks for your reply.
j_maybury

Post by j_maybury »

I can respect that, I would like to give this a go! Other than using only manure instead of fertilizer, What ells can we do to be organic?
MrSquealypig

Post by MrSquealypig »

j_maybury wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 2:02 pm Why not write in your own language and let google translate do the rest, that way you can articulate your thoughts better, rather than you having to search for words to get your point across
Awful suggestion. Their English is fine!

I would like to have an organic farm but I am always confused about how to properly use the oilseed radish. Do you plant it before you plant your crop?
j_maybury

Post by j_maybury »

Krd1749 wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 2:21 pm
Awful suggestion. Their English is fine!
I did not want to come across as rude about it, It is just a well-known fact that people can express them selves' better in there native tongue better than a foreign language. and yes the OP's English is fine and I respect his decision.
VMD100

Post by VMD100 »

With seasons it feels possible to me - before seasons weeds was ridiculous - if not using herbicide then having to use a small weeder on every field just isn't feasible
Now weeds are more realistic - random and in small areas- it is far more possible to farm organically.
DirectCedar

Post by DirectCedar »

VMD100 wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 2:57 pm With seasons it feels possible to me - before seasons weeds was ridiculous - if not using herbicide then having to use a small weeder on every field just isn't feasible
Now weeds are more realistic - random and in small areas- it is far more possible to farm organically.
This is true. However, in my experience, this is also realistic. IRL dealing with weeds is maybe the biggest challenge that organic farmers face. It is an endless battle and it is seldom that you really get ahead of it. I've been to entire conferences solely on how to time tillage for the best chance of suppressing thistle. An organic neighbour plans to work down about 25% or more of his crop every year where the weeds are the worst and have overrun the crop. These things are just part of the process for him.
Illinois Farmer

Post by Illinois Farmer »

VMD100 wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 2:57 pm
I feel weeds are less realistic with seasons. Yes, they will start randomly in places, but if you let them grow the whole field will be covered in weeds, not just small patches. Plus, if you hit just that small patch with a weeder, other spots will eventually come up and over take everything. The neighbor south of me that tries farming organically, has his fields always looking terrible. Plus, his open range livestock would be riddled with worms. I would never eat or touch anything he has grown. I know there are other organic farmers that do a good job.
1300 acre farm, finish out just about 10,000 hogs a year, 200 cattle, and xbox one and pc user.
VMD100

Post by VMD100 »

Illinois Farmer wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 4:33 pm
VMD100 wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 2:57 pm
I feel weeds are less realistic with seasons. Yes, they will start randomly in places, but if you let them grow the whole field will be covered in weeds, not just small patches. Plus, if you hit just that small patch with a weeder, other spots will eventually come up and over take everything. The neighbor south of me that tries farming organically, has his fields always looking terrible. Plus, his open range livestock would be riddled with worms. I would never eat or touch anything he has grown. I know there are other organic farmers that do a good job.
I'm assuming organic farming has different rules in the US
I run an organic dairy farm in the UK and we worm our cattle - you're allowed to use medication if it is indicated for veterinary health reasons
Illinois Farmer

I assume good ones do a better practice then this guy. It is ridiculous how bad he is.
1300 acre farm, finish out just about 10,000 hogs a year, 200 cattle, and xbox one and pc user.
Farmercaseih

Post by Farmercaseih »

The most organic thing I have ever done on my farm was plant some untreated beans
Illinois Farmer

We haul liquid and solid manure. We crop rotate, but we spray round up and use GMOs. We have rotary hoe before and cultivate.
Dziwny85

Post by Dziwny85 »

Thank you all for your response. In my mentality weeds are herbs that heal the soil. When you have soil in good condition there is no weeds problem. Ofcourse they appear but when you have healthy crops the weeds oppression is low. There is lots to talk about organic farming and it's a bit of a challenge. Generally farming IRL it's a challenge but very satisfying job.