Seasons Help/tips?

Pfloyd71

Seasons Help/tips?

Post by Pfloyd71 »

I'm new to Farming Simulator as 19 is the first one I've tried and I'm really enjoying it but something was missing and that was a change in seasons so as soon as Seasons was released I downloaded to give it a try.

So I started with one of the default maps Ravenport and used the default settings in Seasons (9 days for season) as it's my first time trying it out. I set the time speed to 5x which I normally use in the base game until night fall then I speed it up till morning.

I started on New Farmer so in my first day I managed to sell some stuff, buy some new equipment, plow, seed, and fertilize my fields but when it came to the next days I was like what do I actually do now as I'm waiting for the crop to grow. I thought I'd do some contracts but the pay for contracts has decreased so much they are simply not worth doing, I thought I'd leave forestry to winter and don't have enough money to start animals just yet.

Did I pick the wrong map to start with? Should I change the time speed / change the days for seasons. As I said this is my first time trying out Seasons and mabye I'm going about this the wrong way so any advice or help would be most appreciated as I'm thinking of taking Seasons off and just going back to play the base game as it kept me busy day in day out.
VMD100

Re: Seasons Help/tips?

Post by VMD100 »

Just a tip that if you go to the house you can trigger the skipping of night - will save you time instead of sat there on 120x

9 day seasons to me always felt like too much at the start but rapidly becomes a good amount personally
dimi

Post by dimi »

playing with seasons is brilliant, i couldn't do without it. but it definitely takes some getting used to and adjusting your playing style a bit to prevent from having nothing to do most days of the season.

for season length there are a lot of things to consider. the size of the map and how much land you own is important. most times when i start a new map i start with 6 days seasons. when i start buying more land (or animals) i adjust the season length accordingly. i think 15 days was the maximum for me so far (on fs17). Another thing to consider is the size of machines you use in relation to the amount of land you own and how often you use the hired worker. i tend to use smaller sized tractors and implements with seasons then without seasons on the same map / amount of fields just to slow down how fast i complete different tasks and to spread them over several days. Also i don't use workers for the same reason (except for something like harvesting with forage harvester when i drive alongside with a trailer) Of course timescale is another big factor. If you don't like the smaller implements/no workers kind of style you can also just increase the timescale to 15x.

In the end its all up to you of course how you like to play the game, i'm just providing some pointers on how to find a way that suits your style.
BigFarmerJohn

Post by BigFarmerJohn »

Rule of thumb is if you're running 3 day seasons do 1x speed, 6 days do 5x speed, 9 days do 15x speed. Ultimately it is up to you as it was said before. Seems to me you would probably enjoy a smaller map on 6 day seasons, animals do help quite a bit in passing the time though. :smileynew:
FS17 and 19 on PS4
FS11,13,15 on PC
OlavEmil

Post by OlavEmil »

That must be your rule of thumb. Realismus has always recommended 9 day seasons with 5x speed as a base. That is also what I use, works perfectly for me.
ThatCanadianGuy

Post by ThatCanadianGuy »

You can change season length as your farm grows also, I just realized I haven't done it in a while so something may have changed but it used to work. If you only have a handful of small fields you don't need to be sitting around for 8.5 days waiting for something to happen. Just run a 3 day season until your farm grows then extend it.
I am not sure why you would link timescale to season length, to me they are unrelated, timescale is related to what I am doing wither it be field work, hauling crops, hanging out waiting for something to happen,...
Former real life farmer of lentils, mustard, and wheat on the Canadian prairies.
Pfloyd71

Post by Pfloyd71 »

Thanks for all the help and tips and will try them out plus I'm going try out some of the mod maps with seasons if they're seasons ready, try out each one to find what suits me. Thanks again.
SJ_Sathanas

Post by SJ_Sathanas »

Contracts for ploughing, cultivating and sewing are ok but not great. Fertilizing will make you lots of money but I find it gets a bit boring after a while. Harvesting is obviously a big money spinner.
I make a decent amount from transporting, just to have a break form all that spreading.
garyst

Post by garyst »

Is it possible to get enough snow to accumulate using the Midwest geo? When me and my brother were picking out a geo for our farm we decided to go with the Midwest geo because I like growing cotton and he really wants for it to snow in the winter. Well we got to our first winter and only the first day had snow in the forecast. It snowed but only for about two hours and didn't accumulate any on the ground. My brother was dissapointed. Does it ever snow enough using this geo to cover the ground? We are using six day seasons.