Just switched from 17 to 19, disappointed, anyone else had a similar feeling?

SJ_Sathanas

Re: Just switched from 17 to 19, disappointed, anyone else had a similar feeling?

Post by SJ_Sathanas »

I've just bought FS17, just waiting for the download. It will be interesting to see how different it is from 19, which was my first Farm Sim.
eric21

Re: Just switched from 17 to 19, disappointed, anyone else had a similar feeling?

Post by eric21 »

Jagtractor wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 3:45 am
this_is_gav wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 3:56 pm
Jagtractor wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 4:14 am ps Sprayer speeds are a disgrace. spraying equipment is some of the fastest working machines in the field. In this game they are as slow as the plow. pathetic.
Sprayer speeds are completely in line with modern practices. In real life the advice now is that spraying at slower speeds leads to more even and accurate coverage. There are still places which spray quickly, however the slower speeds are getting much more common now.

It is a bit odd in the FS world though, where GIANTS normally apply the most optimistic of speeds to tools, yet spraying is one of the few where they've chosen a much more reserved speed.
Those big self propelled sprayers typically run around 10 to 16mph on decent fields/consitions.
The 3 point sprayers typically are driven at slower speeds. But the big boys go fast. All the self propelled sprayers need to be going the speed they gave the hardi self propelled SPRAYER, And the later added big bud modded sprayer.
theres high speed sprayers that the Hardi sparyer falls into and then you have the big European sprayers which go slower
bzacon

Post by bzacon »

I'm there, playing without gearbox and throttle responsive hydraulics from 17 is just a slap in the face when Giants promised native gear support early on. On top of that, Skidloaders still use the same wonky "steering" system that's been in place since Demolition Company. It's really disappointing that they can't be bothered to make separate driving controls for skid-steer vehicles. The implementation is so lazy that they shouldn't even be in the game.
bojanh66

Post by bojanh66 »

slap in the face when Giants promised
Giants and word "promised" cannot be in a same sentence.
SJ_Sathanas

Post by SJ_Sathanas »

So I've been playing FS17 with various mods (including the Sky Swap and Sky Pack by akuenzi) but also Real Dirt and Ground Response that I was surprised to find were by Giants themselves. I like to zoom right in and watch the tractor's suspension work as I drive along or over furrows, watching the linkage at the back work to keep the plough in the ground. I can't recall seeing that in 19. This might be me not paying attention but were these physics in 19?
I was always a bit meh toward ploughing but now it's probably my favourite job.
As someone else said earlier, I'm now stuck between 17 and 19, missing features from one while I play the other, and vice versa.
Patrick73

Post by Patrick73 »

I still play the west coast now and again, one rule I apply to myself is that one fertiliser state must be applied with a sprayer. Stunning views on that map
norfolk farmer

Post by norfolk farmer »

I spend the majority of my time now back on 17 and the only thing i miss are the added features of seasons 19.
Patrick73

Post by Patrick73 »

I do enjoy both games TBH, thinking of a doing CPF again
Mobias

Post by Mobias »

I've got a lot of sympathy for those that prefer FS17 over 19. For me though FS19 does have a lot of really nice little details that make the game a step forward. The animated driver physics, the better vehicle physics (its not MR clearly but its way better than the FS17 base game physics), the birds flying about and the and much better vehicle textures. I fired up FS-17 the other day and although the environmental lighting and punchier colours are more pleasing to the eye the whole game just feels more static and lifeless for me.

I also have mixed views on the static FS17 sky versus the less realistic but at least dynamic sky in FS19. I do feel far more charitable towards Giants for their FS19 sky than most it seems. Everyone asked for dynamic weather for FS19 and Giants at least gave them it. Yeah its not the best looking dynamic game sky out there but its Giants first attempt after all, and it does look a lot better since Seasons came out. Proper volumetric clouds and dynamic weather effects are hugely resource hungry when it comes to processing power. I guess I appreciate Giants have had to make compromises and the FS19 dynamic sky is at least a first step in the right direction.

I'm really interested to see what FS21 is going to be like. I hope and suspect it'll be a far more refined version of FS19 and hopefully the game everyone wanted FS19 to be. It does seem like with only a few small tweaks, make the lighting less washed out and the colours a bit more vibrant, and the game would at least look much better.
SJ_Sathanas

Post by SJ_Sathanas »

I'll admit I never really looked until i read about the skybox system on here and how some people weren't satisfied with it but is really have to agree now. The vanilla 19 sky isn't active enough to warrant comment, it's just clear blue skies and blazing sunshine. It was months before I saw rain in game.
Seasons improved upon that but the Sky runs inline with the game speed, so anything above 1x it's unrealistic.
I'm not entirely sure how seasons 17 works but it feels more dynamic to me with effects like myst, cloud formations and dramatic sunsets and sunrises (Maybe a bit too dramatic, but I'll forgive an artist a little licence on that score).
bzacon

Post by bzacon »

The sole reason I don't go back to 17 very much over 19 is that controls can be (mostly) configured in-game in 19. I say mostly because the game periodically resets my steering wheel to 14% dead-zone and I have to waste 5 minutes loading the game again after I go out to change it to 0 one click at a time... It would be a pain to set up dual joysticks and a wheel on 17, as I was playing on an xbox controller before 19 came out...maybe I should stop being lazy and go back to enjoy 17 properly with an H-shifter and clutch:)
JamP

Post by JamP »

Almost 5000 hours in fs17... I would just like the Giants to allow new mods for the 17 on the consoles, we are missing some interesting new maps..

I rented the 19 a few weeks after the launch and couldn't play more than 2 hours in the three days I took the game. All right, it had no mods and it's newly released I thought, I'll wait a few more months to buy.

I rented the game again last week and again I couldn't play more than about 6h. A lot bothered me. Sound, lighting, lack of mods and others.

I still have that feeling that it was the best $100 I've ever saved by not buying the 19. But I didn't play much so I can't give an opinion concretely.
Playing on Xbox
Stream on Twitch

From no man's land... Oh, Brazil!

Giants Image Server
jasonbarron

Post by jasonbarron »

Is this the thread where everyone who doesn't like fs19 gathers? I never played 17, but I'm enjoying 19 quite a lot. I will say though that I've never seen any game that relied on mods so much, to deliver it's best parts, so I want to send out a thank you from the bottom of my heart to all the modders out there; you people are AWESOME!
gilroy222

Post by gilroy222 »

AgriJock wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 12:23 pm Hello all jolly virtual farmers.

So I've been playing fs games for ages, have played hours and hours of 17 and didn't see much point in getting 19 when it came out as they are normally riddled with issues and for the money I didn't think it offered much more than 17. Well, my wife bought me 19 for xmas (Xbox) as a surprise, platinum edition with the claas dlc, what a great present, I couldn't wait to play it!

However, I feel disappointed, it's early days and I haven't tried all the new features yet but it doesn't feel like a step forwards, or even that different at all. What on earth have they done to the sounds of the tractor engines and machinery by the way? They sound awful, really flat, I'm an ex agricultural technician for new holland and I can tell you that even tractors with cvt transmissions sound nothing like that! The sounds in 17 were much better, and I was hoping they would improve on that and maybe have some gear shifts, or power shift noises, big diesels don't rev much but they do sound good, these noises are terrible and I never realised how much it adds to the gameplay, I'm struggling to get immersed into the game now.

Bale mechanics seem better, not tried multiplayer yet, which used to suffer from a stuttering issue in 17 but I've already had stuttering issues in career mode so I'm not hopeful. There's more equipment and mods.

Chainsaws, I love doing forestry, but why with a console controller aren't we using the trigger to control the throttle like a real saw, it's really clunky pressing a button and going to max rpm.

The AI drivers haven't improved, you still can't trust them to do a job properly, I was hoping for seasons to be built in, things like follow me and stuff to be built into the game too.

I could go on....anyone else feel a bit let down? 17 was such a massive step up over 15 I think I was expecting the same jump.
I agree. I waited up until this point basically since release in order to get the mods I wanted which I thought would make the game complete for me... Well it didn't.

All the giants fanboys are going to crucify you for raising concerns but I am 100% with you that this game overall was a let down compared to previous releases.
BulletBill

Post by BulletBill »

gilroy222 wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 3:38 pm I agree. I waited up until this point basically since release in order to get the mods I wanted which I thought would make the game complete for me... Well it didn't.

All the giants fanboys are going to crucify you for raising concerns but I am 100% with you that this game overall was a let down compared to previous releases.
Don't forget being called "childish", and my personal favourite "then make your own version of the game".

:lol:

You are allowed to dislike this game, but don't let anyone know. Some round here get a tad upset. :biggrin2:

I think it's all that sun glare from playing Fs19, it's fried their brains a bit.
Join the "Frontier Design" Discord: https://discord.gg/7P8ePvU