Just switched from 17 to 19, disappointed, anyone else had a similar feeling?

IceUul

Re: Just switched from 17 to 19, disappointed, anyone else had a similar feeling?

Post by IceUul »

jasonbarron wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 3:30 am Is this the thread where everyone who doesn't like fs19 gathers?
Exactly, the people who does not like FS19 graphics and sounds.
Also people who don't bother enough time to look for FS19 mods and find that are more and
better mods out there already for FS19.
Procobator

Re: Just switched from 17 to 19, disappointed, anyone else had a similar feeling?

Post by Procobator »

^^ this post sure uses broad strokes to group individuals. I can’t blame the poster completely though; this happens a lot in today’s age. If it could start happening less though it would go a long ways towards getting your point across to others with opposing views.
SJ_Sathanas

Post by SJ_Sathanas »

BulletBill wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 11:44 pm I'm told by some people that the players like us who are frustrated and disappointed with various aspects of Fs19 are few in number.
How they know this for sure is beyond me, vice versa I do not know how many players dislike Fs19.

What I do know is this, out of my group of friends within the Farm Sim community the majority do not enjoy Fs19 enough to either want to play it regularly or even at all. Even the ones who do play it have many gripes with the game.

I also know that if the game was such a massive success as some say it is, why are there still threads like this which on this forum are popular and get a lot of response, over a year after the release of the game.

Within the Farm Sim community I don't remember there being topics as big as this still going a year after Fs17 was released. The general feeling was one of optimism, and that even if Fs17 had room for improvement (which it does) the trend for the future was good.

Yet now I don't know anyone who is in a rush to pre-order Fs21.

I wonder if GIANTS realise this is how some of there playerbase feel, I also wonder if they even care.
I'm now constantly flip flopping between 17 and 19. I started with FS19 on Xbox at launch, moved onto PC about 6 months ago and got 17 about 2 months ago. This is where I am;

Sounds- not sure about this. Some vehicles sound really good on both games and some don't. I haven't been around tractors IRL to know either way. I do miss the crackle of tyre on gravel in 19.

Graphics- I see a lot of people say Fs19 looks like toys and I'm not convinced but damn it, since I read about it on here, the new sky system drives me CRAZY. Seasons helped, and static images do flatter 17, but IMO the active sky has been a failure. I just hate how empty it looks.
The other thing is the circle of death. I'm not even sure if it's in 17 it's barely noticeable but in 19 you can't miss it.

Gameplay- I think there have been some decent improvements in 19. The mission mechanics and field sell/buy system is much better. I much prefer the interface as a whole and the real time shop screen is a big improvement IMO. I prefer how animals are implemented in 19, though I haven't played with them much in 17 so I'm undecided there.
Flawed as it is, especially on console, I do miss palceables in 17, animal pens especially.

Atmosphere- It's hard to describe but 17 feels nicer in a way I can't quantify. I'm happy just to wander a map and look around just for fun. I almost never do this in 19.

Mods- again, prefer 19 but only because it's "new". I think once it's obsolete it's unlikely anyone will return to 19, or stick with it in the same way people have stuck with 17.

So, in conclusion, my ideal game would be FS17 with 19's palceables, interface, the shop screen, map screens and mission/contract system.
As it is, I don't know where I stand with it. If 19 is indeed the "graphics" update and 21 uses the same engine I won't be buying it.
Patrick73

Post by Patrick73 »

My gripes with fs19 are
1: the sounds are horrendous ,start up and idling sounds are great but driving they sound pretty poor
2: the sky and lighting are really poor,everything looks too dark and the clouds are pixilated (minecraft style)
3: the maps. There are some really great maps but they’re all spoiled with piles of stuff everywhere.the odd rusty piece of machinery fair enough. Ravenport is a prime example of this
Lexie

Post by Lexie »

The sounds are indeed terrible, I really can not understand why Giants is not fixing this. Is it so hard to put back in the FS17 sound model?
There are a few tractors in FS19 which are sounding ok, but most of them are sounding really annoying.
The backgrounds / map borders, those are so ugly, so unrealistic and are taking away the feeling of a real landscape.
The shadows and how they move is so badly done if when time is anything higher than "Real time".

Yesterday I started again with FS17 after playing FS19 since august, It's just the feel in FS19 which is completely missing.
Uphill with a tractor, feeling and hearing the struggle, looking at the horizon and the beautiful skybox.
Just playing on Sosnovka without mods is already giving a better feeling, install real Tire Dirt and Real Ground Response and it's even better.

Yes there are some nice features in FS19, like the new garage and also the contracting system is nice. But for example: weeds in basegame is terrible done, whole fields full of big weeds does not really looks realistic. Also the placeable system does not add anything for me, I more like the maps with everything fitted in.

FS19 could be so much more, and even after release they didn't fix it.
FarmBoss

Post by FarmBoss »

If it's not game breaking, then I guess you live with it or move on. They already have our money. The game is in the hands of the modders now. That's just the way they roll.
BulletBill

Post by BulletBill »

I think that is what so many find frustrating, Fs19 could and should have been so much better.
Fs17 was a good step in the right direction, and had they built on that properly instead of trying to change too much Fs19 would have been far nicer and more enjoyable.

Instead they decided to get rid of several key features of Fs17 that were what helped make it feel and sound so nice.

Fs17 felt like it was made by a team working together.
Fs19 feels like it was made by individuals who never communicated until the last minute before release.

At this point the only thing that will make GIANTS stop and think is if hardly anyone pre-orders Fs2X.

But then Fs19 has proved their are plenty of individuals who don't care what the game feels, sounds or looks like as long as they have the latest shiny tractor they are happy. If enough of those continue to buy the game then GIANTS won't see any need to cater to any other players.
Join the "Frontier Design" Discord: https://discord.gg/7P8ePvU
Lexie

Post by Lexie »

I also like the latest shiny tractors, but when they're sounding the same as me on toilet, I don't want to use them.
Ritchie

Post by Ritchie »

Lexie wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 12:58 pm I also like the latest shiny tractors, but when they're sounding the same as me on toilet, I don't want to use them.
I think you should go and see a doctor.
blue_painted

Post by blue_painted »

BulletBill wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 12:53 pm I think that is what so many find frustrating, Fs19 could and should have been so much better.
Fs17 was a good step in the right direction, and had they built on that properly instead of trying to change too much Fs19 would have been far nicer and more enjoyable.

Instead they decided to get rid of several key features of Fs17 that were what helped make it feel and sound so nice.
I'd guess it was more likely they decided to add new features to FS19 and as a side effect the sounds in FS17 were lost, not as a deliberate policy.
BulletBill wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 12:53 pm Fs17 felt like it was made by a team working together.
Fs19 feels like it was made by individuals who never communicated until the last minute before release.
It feels to me that the launch was rushed and unfinished -- mostly likely the money people not wanting more time and money spent on end-user and regression testing in favour of getting a pre-Christmas/pre-Thanksgiving launch date.
BulletBill wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 12:53 pm At this point the only thing that will make GIANTS stop and think is if hardly anyone pre-orders Fs2X.
It's too late by then -- the features are pretty much done, apart from possible cuts, by the time pre-order comes around.
BulletBill wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 12:53 pm But then Fs19 has proved their are plenty of individuals who don't care what the game feels, sounds or looks like as long as they have the latest shiny tractor they are happy. If enough of those continue to buy the game then GIANTS won't see any need to cater to any other players.
I think that's very true: The only sales numbers I've seen suggest that console sales far outweigh PC sales and without wanting to disrespect any console players here -- that platform is much more the home of the casual player who wants to jump in a tractor or a big shiny combine, especially popular brands - and mow down a few fields and muck around a bit before moving on to another game. As someone else commented upthread "They already have our money" because basically that's what it's all about from their side ... it is all about sales. Always has been, always will be.

On the other side of the coin:
Seasons-19 is more engaging than it was in FS17, there seem to be fewer 100m combines at 50mph, we still get OxygenDavid maps and there's now 81 pages of mods on modhub compared to 66 for FS17

The best news so far is that there's no planned FS21 -- because I'm enjoying FS19 now, maybe I've got used to Tonka-Toy tractors.
Playing new "Beest" Intel i7-11700F with GeForce GTX 3060 and XBOX controller
also £600 laptop - AMD Ryzen 5600H with GeForce GTX 3050 XBOX controller

Dairydeere's A Guide to Finding Farming Simulator Mods - Please give this a read and help spread awareness for respectful mod downloads