Just switched from 17 to 19, disappointed, anyone else had a similar feeling?

bader420

Re: Just switched from 17 to 19, disappointed, anyone else had a similar feeling?

Post by bader420 »

17 had better maps and 19 has better equipment
Tomazius96

Re: Just switched from 17 to 19, disappointed, anyone else had a similar feeling?

Post by Tomazius96 »

I kind of agree with OP and others. The step from 17 to 19 is too small and not worth the money. And the biggest fear I have is that the FS21 will be same story. A few new machines, brands, a bit of new shiney graphichs and booom you have a new game... nope not for me.
this_is_gav

Post by this_is_gav »

Tomazius96 wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 4:52 pm I kind of agree with OP and others. The step from 17 to 19 is too small and not worth the money. And the biggest fear I have is that the FS21 will be same story. A few new machines, brands, a bit of new shiney graphichs and booom you have a new game... nope not for me.
It's worse for most games now sadly. Think of the likes of FIFA and Football Manager and many other games, all annual releases, and not cheap ones either. They could quite easily release an update (or cheap DLC) with updated databases, but no, every year it's a new release.

At least with Farm Sim I know I'll play each release many hundreds of hours, so in that regard I don't at all mind paying ~£30 every two years (plus any DLCs which take my fancy, which is usually only one or two) as I know I'll get far more than my monies worth out of it.

Granted the differences between FS17 and FS19 moved the game as much sideways as it did forward, but every other release before it was a sizeable improvement on its predecessor, though it doesn't seem like it until you go and revisit them and realise just how badly they have aged.
Keade

Post by Keade »

I couldn't agree more with what has been said in response to the OP.
Had seen in one of the posts someone had mentioned RD/2 and I must say that, the other day I were watching my step son playing this game on the PS4 and although I play my FS games on pc it did get me thinking as to how or why doesn't GIANTS software take the time to make the graphics a lot better than they are now.

From FS 09 onward in my opinion the graphics have been rather cartoonic in some aspects, as there doesn't seem to be much improvement in graphics what so ever. Granted the graphics in FS 17 were good, and so I thought at first the graphics in FS 19 were a little better I found that for as much as I played FS 19 the graphics are not much better at all.
I do in a way like where GIANTS have gone with that to a degree because in my opinion it has brought in a new feature or two when it comes to graphics, though if you compare this to something like GTA or Red Dead? You'll see a total difference.
Granted those other two games are non agricultural, even still GIANTS could of done a lot more to update the graphics with such a "new" game engine for FS 19.

With regard to the sounds, I am too not quite happy with them though I suppose they will do as I am used to them now.

There are other bits and bobs regarding FS 19 that GIANTS could of spent more time working on, again the AI being one of them. Players would think that over the years the AI would have been heavily improved, I'd have though that by FS 19 the AI would be able to work on awkwardly shaped fields, square or rectangular fields, round fields, be able to to much more like what CoursePlay does and still I see a few AI's in-game having a spasm attack when they either start from, finish at or get to a particular point in a field that the driver just goes "Nope..." and either stops or screws up the field work.

The terraforming feature in my opinion is a neat idea, and could of been implemented in previous releases. This being said the terraforming feature does have its flaws as many of us will know...

Either way, I bought the game and gave it a go when it came out. Still to this day and few patches / DLC's later I am still playing FS 19, I've just been ignoring the flaws as much as I can.
Though like the OP there are many others who're disappointed with this release however, what I reckon GIANTS could do is something similar to what SCS software does with ETS2. One game, rolling update, constant improvements and much more...Though I do hope that in FS 21 the issues are sorted out, and that better graphics is a thing.
this_is_gav

Post by this_is_gav »

Keade wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 6:24 pm From FS 09 onward in my opinion the graphics have been rather cartoonic in some aspects, as there doesn't seem to be much improvement in graphics what so ever.
I've been quite vocal in my negativity in the way the FS19 graphics were implemented, but to say that there "doesn't seem to be much improvement in graphics what so ever" is a massive over-reaction. Go play FS09/11/13 and tell me that again. The difference is like night and day!

Keade wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 6:24 pmI do in a way like where GIANTS have gone with that to a degree because in my opinion it has brought in a new feature or two when it comes to graphics, though if you compare this to something like GTA or Red Dead? You'll see a total difference.
Granted those other two games are non agricultural, even still GIANTS could of done a lot more to update the graphics with such a "new" game engine for FS 19.
Even ignoring the agricultural bit, Rockstar have approximately 4,000% more employees than GIANTS.

Remember, GTA/RDR aren't having to track and update every square metre of their maps for changes to either the terrain or the foliage, which have dozens of potential variations.
FarmBoss

Post by FarmBoss »

Keade wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 6:24 pm ... even still GIANTS could of done a lot more to update the graphics with such a "new" game engine for FS 19.
My understanding is that it wasn't a "new" game engine, just some updates to graphics. They don't seem to be interested in growing, rather just ride the wave until it ends.
Word is that there's nothing like this game in the known universe, and their way of doing things is top of the line, right at the bounds of modern technology. At least that's the excuses you'll get.
this_is_gav

Post by this_is_gav »

FarmBoss wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 11:21 pmAt least that's the excuses you'll get.
From who?
texasplowboy

Post by texasplowboy »

I agree with farmboss. Giants seem to add a few new brands and a few mods to the new game. Don't get me wrong here, I love FS and have 1490 hours on the game and about half of that modding the game. I bought every dlc for fs19 and most of that just don't seem right. Giants imo screwed some stuff up that just don't make sense, like the sound! Giants has an awesome game, but it needs some ground breaking improvements! I would rather see a dynamic ground put into the game before I see any more brands. One thing I did learn from buying FS19, that is I won't be preordering or even buy the next one on launch day.
Jagtractor

Post by Jagtractor »

From day one I have always been disappointed in
1) Sound , not just engine noises but ambient sounds as well. I am always amazed at how the ground sounds beneath the tractors wheels on certain terrain in 17.
2) lighting/shadows I hate how the one side of the combine is green and the other is basically black on the other side in the middle of the day.

Everything else I have quite enjoyed.
ps Sprayer speeds are a disgrace. spraying equipment is some of the fastest working machines in the field. In this game they are as slow as the plow. pathetic.
PC and PS4 Pro
been playing on pc lately.
this_is_gav

Post by this_is_gav »

Jagtractor wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 4:14 am ps Sprayer speeds are a disgrace. spraying equipment is some of the fastest working machines in the field. In this game they are as slow as the plow. pathetic.
Sprayer speeds are completely in line with modern practices. In real life the advice now is that spraying at slower speeds leads to more even and accurate coverage. There are still places which spray quickly, however the slower speeds are getting much more common now.

It is a bit odd in the FS world though, where GIANTS normally apply the most optimistic of speeds to tools, yet spraying is one of the few where they've chosen a much more reserved speed.
Illinois Farmer

Post by Illinois Farmer »

If you are used to spraying wheat, oats, hay, barley, etc in real life then they would seem slower, but with corn and soybeans they aren't too far off. Granite, the use of gps has helped with spraying these crops.
1300 acre farm, finish out just about 10,000 hogs a year, 200 cattle, and xbox one and pc user.
Keade

Post by Keade »

this_is_gav wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 9:21 pm
Keade wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 6:24 pm From FS 09 onward in my opinion the graphics have been rather cartoonic in some aspects, as there doesn't seem to be much improvement in graphics what so ever.
I've been quite vocal in my negativity in the way the FS19 graphics were implemented, but to say that there "doesn't seem to be much improvement in graphics what so ever" is a massive over-reaction. Go play FS09/11/13 and tell me that again. The difference is like night and day!

Keade wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 6:24 pmI do in a way like where GIANTS have gone with that to a degree because in my opinion it has brought in a new feature or two when it comes to graphics, though if you compare this to something like GTA or Red Dead? You'll see a total difference.
Even ignoring the agricultural bit, Rockstar have approximately 4,000% more employees than GIANTS.

Remember, GTA/RDR aren't having to track and update every square metre of their maps for changes to either the terrain or the foliage, which have dozens of potential variations.
Don't get me wrong. There has been improvements in the graphics alright, however in my personal opinion there hasn't been that much of an improvement.
ANd just an FYI. Telling me to go play them from FS 09, I have all of the games since FS 09 bar the mobile version of the game so yes, I have played them all so I know what I were on about in my last post :)
Vfarms

Post by Vfarms »

Haven't we already had a thread about this just a week or so ago?

Edit: viewtopic.php?f=963&t=155642&p=1212483#p1212483
This is the most fun you're ever gonna have

Xbox series x
j_maybury

Post by j_maybury »

Vfarms wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 8:50 pm Haven't we already had a thread about this just a week or so ago?

Edit: viewtopic.php?f=963&t=155642&p=1212483#p1212483
Yes, it looks like there is a lot of disappointment to be had by this game, I, for instance, have been disappointed with the game for the last year and two months of un-immersive drivel. *thumbsdown* *thumbsdown* *thumbsdown*
BulletBill

Post by BulletBill »

I'm told by some people that the players like us who are frustrated and disappointed with various aspects of Fs19 are few in number.
How they know this for sure is beyond me, vice versa I do not know how many players dislike Fs19.

What I do know is this, out of my group of friends within the Farm Sim community the majority do not enjoy Fs19 enough to either want to play it regularly or even at all. Even the ones who do play it have many gripes with the game.

I also know that if the game was such a massive success as some say it is, why are there still threads like this which on this forum are popular and get a lot of response, over a year after the release of the game.

Within the Farm Sim community I don't remember there being topics as big as this still going a year after Fs17 was released. The general feeling was one of optimism, and that even if Fs17 had room for improvement (which it does) the trend for the future was good.

Yet now I don't know anyone who is in a rush to pre-order Fs21.

I wonder if GIANTS realise this is how some of there playerbase feel, I also wonder if they even care.
Join the "Frontier Design" Discord: https://discord.gg/7P8ePvU