Mod Ideas..?

Barrcott

Re: Mod Ideas..?

Post by Barrcott »

Could have a bit more variety in animal husbandry , there plenty of farms across the UK & Europe which have diversified into sheep's & goats milk so that's two options right there , also crops suited for horticultural uses, statice flowers cover huge acreages for the dried flower markets, usually harvested into boxes ( like potato boxes) out in the fields taken to store & sold to processors & garden centres direct from farm.

Also just to be selfish, a range of David Brown 90 series / CASE 94 series tractors 2 & 4wd please 😎😎😎😎
Swapped the tractor seat for a truck, 30 years later & still regretting it !

Last regular drive > FENDT 930 / 939 & Claas Xerion 3800
Play time > Ford TW20
Bottomless money pit > David Brown 880
Should never of sold the MF168 !
akarvi

Post by akarvi »

A steam plough would be interresting ...
Gruß
aka
FarmCatJenkins

Post by FarmCatJenkins »

akarvi wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 3:50 pm A steam plough would be interresting ...
Bunch of guys sitting doing nothing. Looks like the DOT around my area
Farmer since birth. Simulated since ‘15

Xbox: Hodge A Palooza
Steam: FarmCat Jenkins
akarvi

Post by akarvi »

I think they've all had their turn. Back then, agriculture was much more personnel-intensive than it is today, because there was no automated technology yet.
Gruß
aka
SimpleFarmer

Post by SimpleFarmer »

FarmCatJenkins

Post by FarmCatJenkins »

SimpleFarmer wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 5:37 pm Image
Yes! I would love to have that in game!!

SimpleFarmer

Post by SimpleFarmer »

How hard is it to make mods? I just watched a few videos on YouTube and I can't tell if it's super complicated or just would require learning how to use the program. I didn't know Giants provided such intense software along with the game. With the price of programs like Adobe tools and other editing software, this for free seems pretty cool.
How hard would it be for someone like me (average editing skills) (YouTube University) to build something like the picture I shared above?
FarmCatJenkins

Post by FarmCatJenkins »

I don't know the first thing about modding, but I've always wanted to try my hand at it. Then I see stuff that people like Custom Modding makes and I'm like "Well, I'll never be that good". But I'd imagine something like your picture, and I'm sure someone with more knowledge than me would be able to answer better, would require some type of script mod to hold it in place, which (sadly) aren't allowed on console mods.

239amg

Post by 239amg »

cwattyeso wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 2:19 pm I’d like to see the Spray Paint Mod from Global Company expanded upon. I’m not a fan of logging in the game, but sometimes trees need to be removed to make field access easier or to allow expansion of your fields or farm. So far the mod only allows you to mark trees with coloured paint to indicate which to remove and which to leave.

I’d love there to be some mechanic whereby after marking a tree for removal after a couple of in game days it gets removed and you pay a fee for this. Bit like hiring a Tree Surgeon or Landscaper/Gardener in real life.

Would be a great way to get rid of unwanted trees in a believable way. Also would be good to remove those pesky trees buried under the map that some map authors love to do that means you can’t actually manually cut them down yourself.

That would be awesome if they had something like this on console. I would be so happy if I could just mark a tree that was uncuttable”
239amg

Post by 239amg »

cwattyeso wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 1:55 pm Those Trees around Field 43, and some others around the Grass Field near the cows, below Field 29 were only removable by doing so with Giants Editor. I spent hours with a chainsaw, the TRex, the Bruks All-in-One and could get none of those trees to cut. I even spent time and money with the terrain tool lowering the ground to get to the trunks/bases of the trees and still could not remove them. I even tried tricks suggested by people of driving round near the trees or searching near the trees because sometimes the cutting trigger is a bit offset and out of position due to the trees being scaled down in size, but that didn't work. So eventually I just did all the edits in Giants Editor to remove the problem trees. I then packaged the whole map back up and made it available online for other PC Players who don't like the buried trees. It's the same Lone Oak just without some of the headache. I still maintain correct credits to Bullet Bill and Oxygen David and I receive nothing in reward for doing so, apart from thanks from players who didn't like buried trees on the map.
I have had much frustrating doing so, but every tree I wanted to remove on Lone Oak is gone. With the T-Rex a little faith and the right angle on your grinder, all trees are cutable
239amg

Post by 239amg »

239amg wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 7:07 pm
cwattyeso wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 1:55 pm Those Trees around Field 43, and some others around the Grass Field near the cows, below Field 29 were only removable by doing so with Giants Editor. I spent hours with a chainsaw, the TRex, the Bruks All-in-One and could get none of those trees to cut. I even spent time and money with the terrain tool lowering the ground to get to the trunks/bases of the trees and still could not remove them. I even tried tricks suggested by people of driving round near the trees or searching near the trees because sometimes the cutting trigger is a bit offset and out of position due to the trees being scaled down in size, but that didn't work. So eventually I just did all the edits in Giants Editor to remove the problem trees. I then packaged the whole map back up and made it available online for other PC Players who don't like the buried trees. It's the same Lone Oak just without some of the headache. I still maintain correct credits to Bullet Bill and Oxygen David and I receive nothing in reward for doing so, apart from thanks from players who didn't like buried trees on the map.
I have had much frustrating doing so, but every tree I wanted to remove on Lone Oak is gone. With the T-Rex a little faith and the right angle on your grinder, all trees are cutable even the little ones around 43..
Mwal

Post by Mwal »

akarvi wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 5:00 pm I think they've all had their turn. Back then, agriculture was much more personnel-intensive than it is today, because there was no automated technology yet.
I think they are trying to weigh down the plow haha.
akarvi

Post by akarvi »

Mwal wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:30 pmI think they are trying to weigh down the plow haha.
Then he would be more efficient:
:mrgreen:
Gruß
aka
this_is_gav

Post by this_is_gav »

SimpleFarmer wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 6:50 pm How hard is it to make mods? I just watched a few videos on YouTube and I can't tell if it's super complicated or just would require learning how to use the program. I didn't know Giants provided such intense software along with the game. With the price of programs like Adobe tools and other editing software, this for free seems pretty cool.
How hard would it be for someone like me (average editing skills) (YouTube University) to build something like the picture I shared above?
To make even a good but relatively simple implement (such as a small cultivator) from scratch takes around a month. To make a more detailed mod (such as a vehicle) takes several months (at least three). To make a good, detailed map from scratch takes most of a year. I'm talking nearly full-time here, not 30 minutes here or there in the evening.

If you've never made a model from scratch then you can add another 3-4 months (basic level) or 12-18 months (to be any good) to that to begin to learn Blender (free) or Maya (very much not free) and a texturing system such as a combination of Substance Painter and Photoshop (neither of which are anywhere close to free) or Blender's built in tools plus Paint.net or GIMP (all free).

Most mods are a simple vehicle edits of existing equipment (usually GIANTS models) which doesn't require any real talent just an ability to look and learn. While I'm sure some appreciate them (well, a region), it's rather unfair to true modders that those who make simple edits get the same rewards as those who've spent several months developing mods from scratch.

With implements GIANTS Editor is only used towards the end when it comes to getting the mod ready to play. 95%+ of the work takes place outside of GIANTS Editor - probably 80% of that in Blender or Maya.

With maps, depending on how much you're creating from scratch rather than relying on other's work, much of the work takes place in GIANTS Editor. If you're making mainly new models and textures from scratch and real terrain it's probably about 50-50% how much is done in GE.

Edit: Script mods can take anywhere between a day for the simplest script (including testing), to six or seven months for complex and game-changing scripts such as Seasons or MR. An understanding of LUA coding is essential for good, efficient scripts.
SimpleFarmer

Post by SimpleFarmer »

Thanks for the answer. I was very much misinformed. I was thinking they were building the models in Giants Editor, which did seem a little whack already.. so you have to build your own 3d models using some other software and then bring them into the editor? The path to my truck-mounted Manitou on an Xbox console seems a little to narrow for me :) Guess I'll just wish and want.