Seasons cows

mcristianioan

Seasons cows

Post by mcristianioan »

Hi everyone. I play seasons on old stream farm map and i noticed that cows don t eat hay/silage or grass if it has TMR. I start to play seasons on old savegame(but i reset from spring like the seasons require) and it remeaning grass and hay in cattle pasture from that old savegame,may be this the problem?
If i don t feed cows with tmr they will start to eat grass,only grass not hay or silage but cow s healt is lowering,i know that.
So the cattle need only TMR for food,cuz if they has TMR they don t need hay or grass, right?. Or i have a bug. 🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔
I almost forgot🤦‍♂️i play on xbox one
Mwal

Re: Seasons cows

Post by Mwal »

Correct, they eat the best available food source is my understanding.
Phigo

Post by Phigo »

Cows - base game and Seasons - are Always Eating the best Food they can get. If TMR is available they will eat it. If Hay or Silage is available and no TMR they will eat that. Only if None of the others is available, they will eat grass.

So the answer to your Question is: yes, they only Need tmr. Be Aware, that the Health will not get up to 100 % if you don't bed them on straw.
PS4 und PC
mcristianioan

Post by mcristianioan »

Thx for answers. And one more thing, if i feed them only with grass(for example), how low they healt can go?
FarmCatJenkins

Post by FarmCatJenkins »

To be fair I'd only eat grass as a last resort too.
But I'm pretty sure when I let my cows graze in the summer they get down to somewhere around 60%
Farmer since birth. Simulated since ‘15

Xbox: Hodge A Palooza
Steam: FarmCat Jenkins
Phigo

Post by Phigo »

Mr SealyP had a testing series on YouTube. His cows got down to lower 40s...
PS4 und PC
Fifty1990

Post by Fifty1990 »

Phigo wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 4:21 pm Mr SealyP had a testing series on YouTube. His cows got down to lower 40s...
Yeah but he used the water pump to keep the water up. It only fills it 15% if its filled to 100% the health will increase also having straw in the shed makes a difference. Keeping the cleanliness up also. Does the health involves with how long the cows live or the selling price.
Fifty1990 is the gamertag on ps4. Farm on people *thumbsup* :mrgreen:
Mwal

Post by Mwal »

So then fifty1990 do you know what level to keep the water above to keep the health from taking a negative hit?
Fifty1990

Post by Fifty1990 »

Mwal wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 6:37 pm So then fifty1990 do you know what level to keep the water above to keep the health from taking a negative hit?
Realismus and farmer klein can help you with that personally i don’t know but maybe set a tank next to the trough and do it once a day. If your playing on pc there is a pump you can place.
Fifty1990 is the gamertag on ps4. Farm on people *thumbsup* :mrgreen:
Mwal

Post by Mwal »

Yeah I am On pc and have the global company mod so I have a valve that fills it up if I open it plus the pump. I was just wondering if you knew or someone did cause I was under the impression if they had any percentage you were fine.
FarmCatJenkins

Post by FarmCatJenkins »

Definitely the more water the better. I always keep mine full but I’m pretty sure on MrSealyP’s video his got to like 95% roughly. So I would say it must account for like 15% of their health? I’m just guessing though
Farmer since birth. Simulated since ‘15

Xbox: Hodge A Palooza
Steam: FarmCat Jenkins
redglasses

Post by redglasses »

So I dont have to feed my cows hay if I give them tmr? Why do my cows eat both then?
Playing Lincoln Creek on PC
Upload your screenshots here: IMG server
My Discord
Remember there is no need to spread your manure around the forums :wink3:
Jack of all trades, master of the skid steer
aklein

Post by aklein »

Not sure what the % fill that keeps the health % from dropping but personally I don't even look at the health %. If your animals don't run out of food or run out of water they wont die until they hit the old age limit which for cows is 10 years. The health % factors into weight gain and milk production. A few % here or there might affect you by a few dollars in the end but with all the variability built into seasons and the fact that the health % is a weight average over time its kind of going to fluctuate a bit anyway.

RegGlasses are you sure there eating both at the same time? You see the values from both columns going down from the start of the day to the end of the day? This is not the normal behavior so it might be a result of a mod you have activated or a custom animal area or a mod map that is somehow changing this.

For example on my EC series I have my dairy pen with close to 140 cows in it. I mistakenly feed them an incorrect TMR mix to it unloaded as hay/silage. Grass is filled via the graze function and I feed TMR typically. The Hay/Silage column has been steady for over a game year since my mistake at approx half full, the grass column is always full even over winter because I keep TMR in the trough so they never consume the grass but in essence its there as a buffer if I do not keep up with the TMR for any reason. I do give that group straw but have no idea what the health % is as like I said I dont look at it at all.

I have another cow pen that is for my beef herd which is an outside pen with no shed just a fenced in area. I have chosen to not provide straw to them because IRL they would just do their business on the ground and it would be absorbed into the earth vs being collected and stored. They are thus producing slurry but I am also choosing not to use that as again IRL there would be no way of collecting that from a simple fenced in area. I am feeding them TMR, sure they are gaining less weight than they could if I did straw but there still gaining weight. there still going to be massively profitable.

Oh and just a point of clarification the animal pen extension which provides the water value does not require global company it is fully stand alone. I think many console players are using the water pump as their sole source of water which isnt really the best. Maybe its been changed but water from the pump used to cost a fortune. Before we had the animal pen extension on PC i would just park a water trailer in the trigger and leave a tractor connected to it. usually the water would somehow magically empty from the trailer keeping the water full. I see the seasons water pump as an emergency stop gap. should you get close to running out of water the pump will keep just enough in there to keep your animals alive until you can fill it up again.
R1436

Post by R1436 »

Hi everyone :hi: .
I have the same problem, but wit all animals. Animalscomsumes only TMR, water and straw - and produce waiste, milk, eggs and all outputs is OK but grass, drygrass, pig food, silage everything is still full and no change.
I try to remove the stable and place new, but still smae problem, it starts with seasons. I use reset when seasons ask me for it. I am using latest seasons from ofic. page. Any ideas how to solve it?
Mwal

Post by Mwal »

R1436 wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 11:36 pm
That’s the way it’s supposed to be, it’s not like 17. The animal eats the best available food source only.