Microsoft Flight Simulator porting to Farming Simulator!!

tyeblue

Microsoft Flight Simulator porting to Farming Simulator!!

Post by tyeblue »

Been following the upcoming flight simulator from Microsoft a bit. How they are presenting the world you can fly in is amazing.

How cool would it be when this technique could be used by us farmers? Just pick a place on the world map in the editor, and it will make a real world copy of it for you to farm in. Including terrain, vegetation and buildings.
Last edited by tyeblue on Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
this_is_gav

Re: Microsoft Flight Simulator porting to Farming Simulator!!

Post by this_is_gav »

It's completely and utterly impossible and probably will be in most of our lifetime.

While Flight Sim is and always has been impressive in this sense (either Microsoft or third-party addons) for close up realism it will be completely incapable of reproducing detailed areas and 3D structures such as buildings and barns. Remember Flight Sim will just use the same imagery as Bing Maps - it hasn't been created for Flight Sim.

We've got Street View and StreetSide and eventually such technologies may be evolve able to recreate basic 3D representations of buildings other than famous landmarks, but to recreate off the beaten track areas to any detail isn't going to happen. Even if it was possible you'd have multiple legality and privacy implications, and of course a lot of land is private.

Even if such technology was available, for a software manufacturer such as GIANTS to then create the ability for potentially infinite layouts for troughs, triggers and so on... it's impossible. A great dream and one I dearly wish we could have but sadly impossible.
GenXFarmer

Post by GenXFarmer »

Moores Law

We're on the path where it will soon be difficult to establish a virtual world from a real one. If we're even in a real one.

https://www.space.com/41749-elon-musk-l ... dcast.html
Oh, I’m sorry, I thought this was America.
blue_painted

Post by blue_painted »

GenXFarmer wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:55 pm Moores Law

We're on the path where it will soon be difficult to establish a virtual world from a real one. If we're even in a real one.

https://interestingengineering.com/no-m ... moores-law
Playing new "Beest" Intel i7-11700F with GeForce GTX 3060 and XBOX controller
also £600 laptop - AMD Ryzen 5600H with GeForce GTX 3050 XBOX controller

Dairydeere's A Guide to Finding Farming Simulator Mods - Please give this a read and help spread awareness for respectful mod downloads
this_is_gav

Post by this_is_gav »

GenXFarmer wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:55 pm Moores Law

That has literally zero relevance to this thread.
GenXFarmer

Post by GenXFarmer »

Completely relevant.

People wining about FS never being an open world. Computers get better everyday to the point of simulating reality. Maybe were already there... Playing a farm sim inside a simulation.

Apologize if it makes the brain hurt.
Oh, I’m sorry, I thought this was America.
this_is_gav

Post by this_is_gav »

It is completely irrelevant as there's a world of difference between procedurally generated "open world" maps and detailed replications of real life areas.

Edit: Pun not intended.