[Giants] Do you actually listen to this forum?

GothicKing13

Re: [Giants] Do you actually listen to this forum?

Post by GothicKing13 »

Also, not mention... SCS Software doesn't do anything with Consoles, nor Mobile Devices. So, GIANTS has income from those sides as well. They can keep producing their yearly/bi-yearly game for mobile... and update and dlc with the PC and Console(giveth the ability of the console may restrict). Which, in turn... may be why they haven't done something like that.
GOTHICKING13 With every deed, you are sowing a seed. Though the harvest, you may not see.
SJ_Sathanas

Post by SJ_Sathanas »

19 does have some improvements over 17. I'd say the interface and Menus are much better. Being able to see in real time what impact options on a vehicle, tool etc make is much better.
GothicKing13

Post by GothicKing13 »

Yes, the store functionality of purchasing a vehicle. Seeing a live 3D Image, where you can see the different options before purchasing. BEST UPDATE EVER! I remember the Rodeo Pickup in FS17... the rims. Purchase. Nope, not that one... customize... nope, rinse and repeat. I lost almost $150,000 to that pickup for that reason. Never again with the new 3D Shop.
GOTHICKING13 With every deed, you are sowing a seed. Though the harvest, you may not see.
BulletBill

Post by BulletBill »

Another frustrating aspect is when GIANTS introduce good new features, but then strangely remove them or make them worse the next version. Or take something about the game that worked well, and allowed for more originality and creativity, but then make it more restricted, or even hardcode certain stuff that actually didn't need to be.

As for GIANTS listening... I think the only thing that will make them listen is how much is going into there wallets. If that starts to dip I am curious as to how they would respond then. Would they change or would they continue on as they are.
Join the "Frontier Design" Discord: https://discord.gg/7P8ePvU
FarmBoss

Post by FarmBoss »

bossmanslim wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 3:31 pm
blue_painted wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:32 pm @FarmBoss and @RedGlasses ... I agree.

Personally I'd like to see the next release be a BIG DLC content pack, with no or minimal structure/data changes, making the most of the machinery options for regional/national variations so that GIANTS get an income stream, maybe more farming gameplay but ensuring that the FS19 mods continue to work ... and then the next generation release in three or four years.

Which is pretty much what Spoelsky says in the article I linked. :)
I tend to agree with this as I think modders are getting burned out and making new mods is getting more complex. Ideally, I'd like to see FS21 be FS19 with some key functionality updates (remove objects, better helper AI, soil management, etc.). Therefore the mods can be ported over without having to rework all of them.
You may be correct about modders getting burned out, as I believe some very talented modders have abandoned ship.
Some of the big mods barely got going, and we're already near eol for 19. It takes seasons a long time to be reworked, and then most of the existing maps need to be updated for seasons. And that is just one of the many mods that FS depend on.
SJ_Sathanas

Post by SJ_Sathanas »

BulletBill wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 5:20 pm Another frustrating aspect is when GIANTS introduce good new features, but then strangely remove them or make them worse the next version. Or take something about the game that worked well, and allowed for more originality and creativity, but then make it more restricted, or even hardcode certain stuff that actually didn't need to be.
Can you give some examples? I recently converted from 19 to 17 so I'm interested.
BulletBill

Post by BulletBill »

SJ_Sathanas wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:24 pm Can you give some examples? I recently converted from 19 to 17 so I'm interested.
Well one example is how they introduced a new dynamic sky for Fs19.

This should have been a vast improvement over previous Farm Sim versions with only static sky textures that would change at set times through the day.

Except the Fs19 skies look awful in my opinion, and I'm not alone in that opinion. Yet modders can do very little to change or improve that facet of the game. Which actually has a huge impact on how pleasing the game is visually to a lot of players.

You only have to see screenshots of fs19 maps where players add the old Fs17 skybox model into the map with a 8k sky texture, and suddenly it hits you just how poor the skies are. They've even earned the nickname "minecraft skies".

Another example happened at the beginning of Fs17, in Fs15 we could add a skybox and use custom sky textures as we had for fs13 as well.
This gave mappers the ability to make each map have a unique feel.

In Fs17 they hardcoded the sky coding so you couldn't do that.

When modders complained we were told "why would you want to alter the skies". GIANTS couldn't see that having there default skies on every single map was a negative. It just didn't matter to them.

Fortunately because enough modders made a fuss GIANTS changed the coding for the next patch which allowed us to add our own sky textures in.
Join the "Frontier Design" Discord: https://discord.gg/7P8ePvU
SJ_Sathanas

Post by SJ_Sathanas »

I agree the skies in fs17 are much better, especially with mods. I find the transition between gameworld (actual 3d) and background (2d) much better in 17 too, which I suspect is related. You're always aware of the harsh disconnect in fs19, while 17 manages to produce a pretty good horizon. I also have the enhanced dirt and suspension mods in 17 - I love bouncing down a dirt track at 25mph watching the suspension work hard as the body pitches and rolls. I think Enhanced Realisim may have restored at least some of that to 19 recently though.

Have to say I do prefer the music in fs19. I know the title music is repetitive but it does have some energy to it. I haven't decidedly it's a remix of fs17's title music. I also really like the pop radio which isn't the sort of thing I normally listen to.
muzickmage

Post by muzickmage »

Whats likely more true than not is that sadly... Giants seems to be pretty much like any other company out there in the world. They don't care about what we want to buy.... just what they want to sell. They can't hear our voices over the sound of their own.

Sometimes we get lucky. What we want to purchase just happens to be what they want to sell us. Unfortunately however, that encourages the illusion that they are listening to us.

Add to that the fact that money will always be a dominating factor encouraging companies to sell us a bad product if they trust its more profitable. (hence the 2 year scheme with FS). Giants knows that the game will have bugs. All games do. But Giants decided that each game iteration wouldn't last long enough for them to have to care about. We all know that FS19 is riddled with bugs. It was pretty much sold that way. But in about 10 months.... that's not going to be a problem for Giants.

As the days continues to pass, we'll see, likely fairly soon, a fast-growing list of posted threads directed at the coming FS21.... its expectations, assumed complaints and concerns, and even some excitement. But regardless, the same will likely remain true. The base game will come out in (maybe) November, we'll still be complaining in January about some of the bugs still not being fixed. Many of us will wait as long as maybe June for decent maps to download, and to get ideas like our GPS mods, and autoload trailers back. Seasons will come out around september.... causing the mods folder to be in bad need of overall, which will be fixed up again around November to christmas.

And.... here we are. 1 year in and we, for the most part, finally got the new FS21 game to the point where we are confortable with it..... despite a list of bugs still not yet fixed. The problem however, is that we invested a full year into what is now half way between being yesterday's news, and tomorrow's dream. And the bugs.... likely won't get fixed because Giants adopted a business model that doesn't have to worry about broken products because they aren't on the market long enough for them to care about.
Eonellivlem

Post by Eonellivlem »

Although I wont be buying FS21 on release (wait for sale) because by November, FS19 will arguably be at its best. I will however be very interested in what there top selling points will be and what will be there cover brand.
FS21 will be at a pivotal point in Giants long running series and after having seen with 17 and 19 the bugged releases, seasons delay, favourite mods having to be ported over and nothing changing for the better in the actual farming aspect of the series (tractor handling, ground response and AI to name a few) FS21 will tell me where this series is heading and if i'll be going in the same direction for what is basically copy/paste gaming. If there are no major changes, that's not moving forward, it's stagnating.
FarmBoss

Post by FarmBoss »

Eonellivlem wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 7:28 pm I will however be very interested in what there top selling points will be and what will be there cover brand....
My prediction is that JD will be on the cover of 21. Maybe JD on the cover is what got them record sales for 19.
Top selling points (other than JD) might be an updated terrain editor, goats.
Maybe they'll even include a chicken trailer for 21.

Does anyone else have any predictions?
iwan073

Post by iwan073 »

Goats? That’d be funny.

Horses can go. They add nothing
Ignorance is bliss
SJ_Sathanas

Post by SJ_Sathanas »

FarmBoss wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:36 pm
Eonellivlem wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 7:28 pm I will however be very interested in what there top selling points will be and what will be there cover brand....
My prediction is that JD will be on the cover of 21. Maybe JD on the cover is what got them record sales for 19.
Top selling points (other than JD) might be an updated terrain editor, goats.
Maybe they'll even include a chicken trailer for 21.

Does anyone else have any predictions?
John Deere on the cover is a safe bet.

Something else I like about 17 - the different tractors on the title screen.
iwan073

Post by iwan073 »

I think the new Fendt 900 series will be on the cover. Or yes, the new John Deere’s
Ignorance is bliss
eric21

Post by eric21 »

900 series?? You been sleeping? It's the 1000 series only last year they came out